Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title suggests i am having thoughts of getting back into full time alfa ownership while i complete my sud. i had a nice 2.4jtd saloon last year which i loved but was dissapointed with 2 things, it wasn't particularly economical (for a diesel) and the seats not folding forward was a pain.
my little punto runaround covers both aspects, but it certainly isn't an alfa to drive :(
loved the effortless power of the 2.4jtd but i am thinking along the lines of a 2.0ts as they are cheaper to buy and petrol is quite a bit cheaper per tanbk full so some of the price difference is made back, and they make a far nicer noise :cool: the sportwagon will more than fulfil my space needs, i know the boot isn't exactly 'estate' proportions but with the seats folded forward there should be enough room.
done my homework so know about the usual 156 & ts problems but what can i reallistically expect mpg wise or per full tank of fuel? will be used mainly for work and back - 8 miles country main roads followed by 2 miles stop start town jams, the killer for all mpg's :rant:

will be looking for around a 2000 year one to avoid the 2001 onwards higher road tax bracket ;)
any views welcome - am i mad to get rid of the punto?/keep driving something so mundane?/be without a full time alfa for so long?
will check in tomorrow for hopefully words of wisdom :thumbs:

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've had a few 2.0's, (156 saloon, 147, gtv), they seem to do low 30's MPG taking it easy on Motorways. Around town I usually end up mid 20's. Economical they aren't.

·
Registered
748 Posts
IMHO - the Sportwagon is by far the better looking 156......you just know it'll find you sweeping up the driveway of a mansion hotel with a babe on your arm...etc...etc...etc:lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had a few 2.0's, (156 saloon, 147, gtv), they seem to do low 30's MPG taking it easy on Motorways. Around town I usually end up mid 20's. Economical they aren't.
you dont buy an alfa for the fuel economy haha, you buy them because they are Prrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeetty!!! :lol: :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
my sport wagon is greeeaaat enough room to lug the kids stuff around, sporty and beautiful to look at and drive, the 2.0 ts i find to run in the low to mid 30's mpg , ive had a lot of cars including three other alfa's and this is the best of the bunch, i even love my selespeed box!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies guys :cool:
low to mid 30's mpg i can live with, just didn't want to get into the expense of a daily runner than would only get to mid 20's. i know that alfa ownership isn't about economy, but i don't have mountains of money to just throw around at the petrol station every week. don't mind paying a bit extra over the usual mundane stuff though to get the exclusivity of alfa ownership afain :thumbs:
will keep my eye out for one i think ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
IMHO - the Sportwagon is by far the better looking 156......you just know it'll find you sweeping up the driveway of a mansion hotel with a babe on your arm...etc...etc...etc:lol:
I agree 200% ... beautiful car and station wagon ... unique design ! in return rather than a 2.0TS ... i ll pick a 1.9JTD 16V.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree 200% ... beautiful car and station wagon ... unique design ! in return rather than a 2.0TS ... i ll pick a 1.9JTD 16V.
hear what you are saying, but the 1.9jtd is beyond what i spend on cars at the moment..........................

..............just had a look on parkers website and see that they made the 1.9jtd from 2000 :rolleyes: i hadn't considered the 1.9 as i assumed for some reason that they weren't made until much later :confused:
easy to confuse myself :lol:
makes sense to me, still good economy like the punto and an alfa :cool: SOLD!!!! :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looked again at parkers and i have again made a mistake :confused: seems the 1.9jtd was only from march 2003 onwards :(
beyond my budget then :rant:

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
I think they did a 1.9 8v in Europe from the start, but the UK only got the 2.4 10v the start and the 1.9 16v from facelift.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Kev...you met Mrs AlfaLincs and put a new battery in our Sproutwagon 2.4JTD (The official Lincolnshire Special Edition:lol: )

Its had a crank pulley since then which has made it as smooth as silk again. As to economy, short journeys don't help anyone, but on long Journeys Mrs A is getting not far short of 50 MPG....and the car goes from Boston to near Eastbourrne and back every week. That sort of 'commute' suits a diesel perfectly. Shorter work is probably no good. It has to be said that Mrs A is a 'steady' driver and light of foot. In fact she is probably the slowest Alfa driver in the universe:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Sportwagon is a useful estate, but its not very big really. The old Skoda Felicia estate has bucket loads more room in it for lugging 'stuff'

What can I say, we both really like the Alfa, but then I've never disliked an Alfa yet.

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
10 Posts
The thing is you cant find a better looking car, the problem is the flipping thins always seem to go wrong.... but i cant help puttingthe problems aside, as it looks lovely...

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I think that Jenifer Lopez is not economical either, but I would go for her any time !:p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well Kev...you met Mrs AlfaLincs and put a new battery in our Sproutwagon 2.4JTD (The official Lincolnshire Special Edition:lol: )

Its had a crank pulley since then which has made it as smooth as silk again. As to economy, short journeys don't help anyone, but on long Journeys Mrs A is getting not far short of 50 MPG....and the car goes from Boston to near Eastbourrne and back every week. That sort of 'commute' suits a diesel perfectly. Shorter work is probably no good. It has to be said that Mrs A is a 'steady' driver and light of foot. In fact she is probably the slowest Alfa driver in the universe:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Sportwagon is a useful estate, but its not very big really. The old Skoda Felicia estate has bucket loads more room in it for lugging 'stuff'

What can I say, we both really like the Alfa, but then I've never disliked an Alfa yet.

AlfaLincs
yes, i do like your car and she seems to be getting better mpg than i could from my 156 2.4, could never better 39mpg :confused: but then that was having to travel through boston and back every day to stickney which isn't the best thing for any economy run.

i know what you mean about them not being like other estates for room, hence the term sportwagon and not estate, think they would have got slated for trying to call it an estate. we have had a few in at work so i have had a good look, think it would have plenty of room for what i need, the punto is just about ok so a sportwagon can't be worse :lol:

may hang on until the new year and see what happens, got enough on my plate just now with the sud

thanks for all the comments guys :thumbs:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
go for it...

sold my 147 3 years ago and missed it terrribly. 3 weeks into owing a 2004 156 S/W and loving it

:)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I think a TS is a good idea. On a lower budget, a TS is the best option. No turbo or dual mass flywheel to suddenly go wrong and cost nearly a grand.:eek: These are ok if newer or lower mileage, or if someone has one long term and coupes the recoupes the possible repair costs into the fuel savings.

If power and flexibility aren't too major an issue, even a 1.8 may be ok. They have no balancer shafts, so no balance shaft belt and tensioner to renew.

Agree with the JLo bit. Her voice makes me melt. Really ticks all the boxes and seems like a genuinely nice lass which goes a very long way for me. (I despise self love and money worship.):vomit:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think a TS is a good idea. On a lower budget, a TS is the best option. No turbo or dual mass flywheel to suddenly go wrong and cost nearly a grand.:eek: These are ok if newer or lower mileage, or if someone has one long term and coupes the recoupes the possible repair costs into the fuel savings.

If power and flexibility aren't too major an issue, even a 1.8 may be ok. They have no balancer shafts, so no balance shaft belt and tensioner to renew.

Agree with the JLo bit. Her voice makes me melt. Really ticks all the boxes and seems like a genuinely nice lass which goes a very long way for me. (I despise self love and money worship.):vomit:
good point about the balance belt bit on the 1.8, didn't realise they didn't have them :confused: makes it a bit easier for the inevitable cam-belt change :thumbs:
i noticed that the bhp/torque isn't that much down on the 2.0, much difference in real life usage :confused: can you really tell the 10odd horses have gone :confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts