Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm 5 weeks in to ownership of a 2.0L Veloce G TCT auto (loving it by the way) but not once has start stop kicked in.
I'm aware of the many reasons why it won't, battery, temperature etc etc.
I get no warning messages or anything.

Question is;
Should I get it fixed?
If everything seems fine with the car am I better of not bothering? I liked it on the manual mito because you could control it with the clutch but my G is an automatic. Is it more of an annoyance constantly cutting out all the time?

If I get it sorted and then I hate it and switch it off at the start of every journey then I've not only wasted money but I will be stuck with the annoying start stop disconnected symbol.
Help me make a decision before my warranty expires...

·
Registered
38,674 Posts
It probably just needs a new battery of the correct type.

Personally if everything else was working ok I would leave it.

Stop-start for my driving style and the routes I do is also a waste of time. If I spent a lot of time in city traffic then it would be very useful though.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I turn s/s off all the time, so I'm not the one to ask...

I tried S/s a few times and it worked, you can control it's action by the amount of pressure on the brake pedal. (tct)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well mine was working from new for about 6 months, but now it never comes on (had the car almost 4 years now). Told the dealer each time it went in for service but each time they said there was no problem and it was working fine. I think they connect the car up to the computer, no faults, so no problem. Also, of course if they are using some other kind of "power supply", air-con off, radio off, everything off, then yes, maybe it does work, but on the road, never. Just forget about it and enjoy driving.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I deal with stop start vehicles daily...and I'm not a fan.
If there was a major issue causing a system failure warning then yes I'd get it looked at because it may affect other perimeters within the car, but otherwise leave it.......

.....and turn the engine off when 'you' want to ;)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Don't have it on the QV anyway, and really don't want it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I found it useful on our previous, manual G, but find it even better on our 2014 TCT, as aside previously, you can control it kicking in by how much pressure you put on the brake pedal, of just put the handbrake on, which will restart the engine anyway.
Ours had barely worked for 4 months, dealer said 'they all do that' but promised to look at it when they fixed dash rattles, they said they would test the battery and put it through a deep charge cycle, which they did. They were then surprised to find it still wasn't working properly and tracked it down to a sensor fault, though I dunno why that didn't show up on their diagnostics originally. Have to say that the dealer (Thames Fiat) were excellent, all done under warranty, including the rattles!
But main point is, I really like the SS, as we do a fair bit of town driving, works well with the TCT.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
If there was a major issue causing a system failure warning then yes I'd get it looked at because it may affect other perimeters within the car, but otherwise leave it.......
Not major perhaps but a S/S fault will mean the regenerative energy recovery system (used by SMART alternator) will be disabled too.

Important distinction is that on a car with S/S simply turned OFF (as opposed to being faulty) then this system would still work.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated. Food for thought...
I've got to get booked in for a recall so I will get Alfa to look then if I decide to fix it. If they say it's the battery then I'd best fix it, don't want to end up with a flat battery as that only ever happens in the most awkward of places...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not major perhaps but a S/S fault will mean the regenerative energy recovery system (used by SMART alternator) will be disabled too.

Important distinction is that on a car with S/S simply turned OFF (as opposed to being faulty) then this system would still work.
I wonder if that would affect mpg? I average about 39-41mpg at present, although I didn't buy it for its mpg, I did always think that was a bit low compared to what others on the forum say they achieve.

·
Registered
38,674 Posts
I wonder if that would affect mpg? I average about 39-41mpg at present, although I didn't buy it for its mpg, I did always think that was a bit low compared to what others on the forum say they achieve.
That is similar to what I get, in the summer I was doing much better, probably 46-47mpg

I have put it down to the engine taking longer to warm up, and the fact that you usually get less MPG from winter grade diesel.

The smart alternator thing isn't going to make much difference to MPG in the real world, you would be lucky to see 1 or 2 MPG difference.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Any 'free' energy must make a difference (an improvement) but I wouldn't count on it being very noticeable.

Like a lot of things it all adds up though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is similar to what I get, in the summer I was doing much better, probably 46-47mpg

I have put it down to the engine taking longer to warm up, and the fact that you usually get less MPG from winter grade diesel.

The smart alternator thing isn't going to make much difference to MPG in the real world, you would be lucky to see 1 or 2 MPG difference.
Good to know, thanks for the input. I followed your original suggestion just now that it might be the wrong type of battery, looks to be the original one that came with the car as it's got the Alfa, lancia, fiat sticker thingy on that was on the battery I had in the mito. I could be wrong through.

I put my voltage tester on it and it flashes 12v, although it is a fisher-price/poundland voltage tester that doesn't give an exact digital reading.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I managed 67 mpg today on a longer trip (110 miles there and back) I did spend about an hour in stop and go traffic near my destination. In summer, I get closer to 80 mpg for the same trip.

·
Registered
38,674 Posts
I managed 67 mpg today on a longer trip (110 miles there and back) I did spend about an hour in stop and go traffic near my destination. In summer, I get closer to 80 mpg for the same trip.
Your gallons over there must be larger than ours. :blah:

The best I have ever managed was about 55mpg, and that was at a steady 45-50 mph.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I was using cruisecontrol mostly, 60 mph. Manual throttle is more economic in some cases but much harder work.

I added 50 miles of urban driing today (2 trips 9 hours apart) and consumption for this tank went up to 4.5 liters/100 km.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I don't generally use stop start (switched off permanently), but best way to control the way it works I found was getting to traffic, knock the lever to neutral, when you knock the lever back to drive, the car starts straight away ready to drive off, that or as suggested adjust the pressure applied to the brake pedal. I would be wanting to get it repaired especially if the car is under warranty still, even if your not going to use it. I just think about the extra stresses from starting the engine every two minutes! Can't be good in the long term!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts