Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
In development the pads are tested with the matching discs. Both shed material and while the pads might wear at half the rate of the discs you introduce two problems with just pads. First, the ability of the pad to match the surface of a worn disk and secondly the conformity of pad and disc materials. In my world of extreme performance we change pads and disks together and fully drain all the brake fluid.

·
Registered
526 Posts
What sort of condition are the discs? Often discs wear out almost as fast as pads now.

I just replaced the discs on both out Alfa and BMW, they were well work out but the pads still had life left. Obviously you can't really fit new discs with old pads so the lot got changed.
Discs are a bit "wavy" on the inner face really.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37,784 Posts
I would just change the pads then, for what they cost it isn't worth the hassle. A decent set is going to be about £30

·
Registered
526 Posts
The inner faces of my 14yr old front discs. Still about 4mm left on the pads, but not a huge amount of contact!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
The inner faces of my 14yr old front discs. Still about 4mm left on the pads, but not a huge amount of contact!
So you must really friendly with your MOT tester? No way your mots have been legit with those on?? 14 years on 1 set of discs is ridiculous and nothing to be proud of. Dangerous. Putting everyone else on the road at risk because you are too tight to pay for new brakes? Maintenance schedules like that are the reason why so many of these cars are knackered. Look after what you have. It will last much longer

·
Registered
526 Posts
So you must really friendly with your MOT tester? No way your mots have been legit with those on?? 14 years on 1 set of discs is ridiculous and nothing to be proud of. Dangerous. Putting everyone else on the road at risk because you are too tight to pay for new brakes? Maintenance schedules like that are the reason why so many of these cars are knackered. Look after what you have. It will last much longer
Advisory last year was grooved but structurally safe which is why I decided to check and then change before the next one, not that I need to explain this to you. Might want to get off your high horse. Not impressive, big or clever insulting somebody you don't know. My MOTs have been as legit as anybody's. Why would I want to drive a dangerous car for god's sake??End of discussion!

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Advisory last year was grooved but structurally safe which is why I decided to check and then change before the next one, not that I need to explain this to you. Might want to get off your high horse. Not impressive, big or clever insulting somebody you don't know. My MOTs have been as legit as anybody's. Why would I want to drive a dangerous car for god's sake??End of discussion!

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk
Absolute rubbish. Or have you been doing some track days? 😂 those brakes are cooked and have been for a long time. Who's insulting anyone? No name calling here. You are the one who thinks its clever to drive around with knackered brakes. Boasting how you've not changed them in 14 years. Ridiculous. If you had to perform an emergency stop, be it a child in the road or someone pulling out, you wouldnt have stopped with those on. End of discussion 😘

·
Registered
766 Posts
they look absolutley terrible ngl, yes they may have lasted 14 years but its the peak performance of them would have been long gone

a set of mtech discs are £180 for a full set, so not exactly expensive

21 - 29 of 29 Posts