Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
could do with your expertise opinions although a petrol head I always pay a garage for servicing etc. I currently have my Spider on axle stands with the arch liners removed in my garage doing some preventative maintenance on my subframe, which fortunately is in good shape just a bit minor surface rust hear and there. although the bracket which supports the screen wash bottle is looking quite bad despite it looking like it’s galve.
Anyway back to my question looking at my pads there’s probably 4 to 5mm left on them should I change them while the wheels are off?

At what sort of thickness does it become an advisory on a MOT or service? I don’t do a lot of mileage it’s a summer car so don’t want to shell out for the sake of it; but equally its seems an ideal opportunity for me to have a go and replace them I have never changed pads before but being a chippy I am quite hands on with tools so sure I cam muddle through if it’s advantageous.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Plenty of life in those...below 1.5mm is a MOT fail...3mm or less and any good garage should tell you there are getting there. Most pads only have between 10 and 12mm when brand new....normally the brake pad warning light (if fitted) will come on at about 3mm so you get a bit of warning before its metal on metal....but mine wont as the pattern pads don't have the wires!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I wouldnt rush to change them,

I can jack the car up at home, take wheel off, swap pads in about 10 mins a side at home because i have trackday and road pads for my brera

Only thing that may be worth buying new is some new caliper pins from ebay and a little copper slip as the old ones may be seized in the caliper if you decide to do them yourself

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are will do, I have a tin of copaslip in the garage from when my son was at home so not a bad shout

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
495 Posts
Speaking as a boring engineer, manufacturers don't use or recommend copper grease for the slider pins on a floating brake caliper. Although it is classed as an 'anti-seize' compound, it is not a sufficiently 'fluid' lubricant for these pins and can congeal over time, actually contributing to 'sticky' or even seized callipers. Historically DIY'ers have used it for the pins because they're already using it on the pad backplates to prevent squealing (the latter is fine). Copper grease is intended as an assembly and anti-seize lubricant for non-sliding (i.e. static) components, but is not very effective on moving parts.

I always use the same kind of silicone based grease on the slider pins that is used by car manufacturers and have never had a seized slider on any car I've owned.

Each to their own.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Yep..."its a three lube process" as my boss used to say. Copper slip for the back of the pads, silicone grease on pins and pad edges/hooks and red rubber grease on the piston seals and dust guards! You only need to look at old copper slip that is has been used before when you take brakes apart to see that turns solid. Its anti seize and anti squeal....bolts (but not wheel bolts....i know many others will disagree on that...but they are wrong!!) backs of pads where they contact the pistons or shims.. or any where you dont want to seize but does not actually move or need lubrication. The pads move on the pins and slide on the caliper so need a very high temp grease/lube....like silicone.

·
495 Posts
...Copper slip for the back of the pads, silicone grease on pins and pad edges/hooks and red rubber grease on the piston seals and dust guards! You only need to look at old copper slip that is has been used before when you take brakes apart to see that turns solid....
Exactly right. The key difference to remember is that one is designed as an anti-seize compound for static parts, the other as a (high temperature) lubricant for moving/sliding parts.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My 06 brera still has the original disks and pads from new! Currently on around 64k. The brakes work fine apart from a slight squeal (which they been doing for the past 10 years) and have been getting through MOTs fine. I dread the day when I come to change them in case anything is seized. Do they all have this slider pin or just the brembos?

·
495 Posts
My 06 brera ...<snip> Do they all have this slider pin or just the brembos?
A lot of mass-produced cars have single piston 'floating' calipers with some kind of 'slider' - usually a pair of metal pins. They're cheaper and lighter. I don't have a Brera but I think there were a couple of different front calipers used, with either 305mm or 330mm discs. An actual owner should be able to confirm!

You can also check out the different configurations here at Brakes International...

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I find braking kind of mandatory....to avoid cars in front and when I want to stop! My father gets miles out of his brakes....as he was taught to drive the old school of using engine braking and changing down through the box. No-one is taught like that now. I always tell my dad to use the brakes more....he says he drives that way to save the brakes.....very sensible as we all know that clutches and gearboxes are so much cheaper than brake discs and pads.....NOT!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I find braking kind of mandatory....to avoid cars in front and when I want to stop! My father gets miles out of his brakes....as he was taught to drive the old school of using edngine braking and changing down through the box. No-one is tought like that now. I always tell my dad to use the brakes more....he says he drives that way to save the brakes.....very sensible as we all know that clutches and gearboxs are so much cheaper than brake discs and pads.....NOT!
hahaha, yes fully agree. My dad is the same.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don’t down go the gears unless going down a hill but being old school I do anticipate the road ahead take my foot off the gas and let the car slow down on its own.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Tends to be my style of driving as the Brera doesn't lend itself well to hard braking and accelerating. Probably why the brakes have lasted so well. Gentle and stylish - something the aggressive German cars can't seem to do ;)

·
Registered
526 Posts
I managed to pick up some front brembo disks and mintex pads for around a £100 so thought I'd fit them weekend (the current pads are still legal, but the inner disc faces are quite grooved). After hours of trying, I've given up! I can't for the life of me shift the caliper to hub bolts. I've tried heat and penetrating fluid, but after 14yrs of sitting rusting away, they will not shift. The trouble with being on axle stands is that there's not enough room to get a nice long breaker bar in. Looks like it'll have to be a garage job which is very frustrating especially as I planned to give everything a good clean up when the discs were off. The front dust/splash shields are looking particularly bad. I thinking I might just replace with new (or ask the garage to whilst changing the discs). I'm struggling to locate new ones, only 2nd hand ones attached to hubs at breakers. Anyone replaced theirs?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Problem with replacing the splash guards will be removing the fixing bolts. They're pretty likely to snap. Fortunately you should be able to drill out the broken bit and helicoil it if necessary. I had to do several when I upgraded my front brakes to 330 mm brembos.

·
Registered
37,784 Posts
What sort of condition are the discs? Often discs wear out almost as fast as pads now.

I just replaced the discs on both out Alfa and BMW, they were well work out but the pads still had life left. Obviously you can't really fit new discs with old pads so the lot got changed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts