Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Petrol, 75,000 miles, Metallic Chira silver, MOT-07-2012, 2 Owners. This Alfa 156 Has Just benifited from a Full Cambelt and tensioner change along with a full service cost over 500 POUNDS with no expense spared.Full MOMO Red Leather Trim, comes with a full service history and 12 months MOT, £1,790 What do we think?

G

·
0 Posts
Sounds good but exactly how old is it? What reg? It has a big bearing on the price!
You should ask the owner if he has proof of the water pump changed for the metal impellor type too.... If it hasn't, then walk away.
Any decent Alfa independant or main dealer would change it as a matter of course so no water pump change, then the recent cambelt change is pointless and not done properly IMO.

Check the clutch operation and also check if it has been changed, They are a pig to do and very expensive... 75,000 miles is about the upper limit for the clutch so be mindful of it.

Ask to see the service history plus parts reciepts to double check that all six spark plugs and the oil filter have been changed, you'd be surprised how many owners and garages skimp on these parts just because the rear cylinder bank is difficult to get to along with the oil filter!

Check the gearbox oil dipstick, making sure its clean and topped up properly, a sure sign that the car has been looked after!

Check the radiator... A weak spot and only around £100 to replace. Get the car up to temp and see if the fans are operating a lot on tick over.... Every 30 seconds or so and you have an issue with the radiator/ fan resistor/ thermostat so bear that in mind.

If it has a sunroof fitted lift the front carpet and double check the inner driver and passenger front footwells for rust... It may look fine underneath but they can rot from within due to sunroof condensation dripping down and soaking the carpet.

Check that the exhuast is in good condition... Front pipes and flexi joints can be a chew on to replace...

Apart from that, they are truly a great car and you will know what else to look for with already owning a 156.

Depending on the age, a good v/y plate with 100,000 miles can go for as little as £1,200 FSH and cambelts/clutch and all the above done.... So, take that into account. The seller is maybe trying to recover some of the cambelt cost.

If any of the above hasn't been changed in the past two years or so, then you have a good bargaining tool to get the price down a little :thumbs:

Good luck and I'm sure you will love it:)

C

·
0 Posts
Petrol, 75,000 miles, Metallic Chira silver, MOT-07-2012, 2 Owners. This Alfa 156 Has Just benifited from a Full Cambelt and tensioner change along with a full service cost over 500 POUNDS with no expense spared.Full MOMO Red Leather Trim, comes with a full service history and 12 months MOT, £1,790 What do we think?
Sounds about £500 too expensive. What year is it? Facelift?

Also it sounds like they've just replaced the tensioner and cambelt but not the other 2 idlers. I don't consider this to be a problem but many people do. Might be worth checking? They also haven't mentioned whether the water pump has been changed. If it hasn't as yet then it will require replacement shortly. Not so good.

Its also silver. I've heard a few breakers say the silver ones are the most prone to rotten floor pans.

C

·
0 Posts
Check the radiator... A weak spot and only around £100 to replace. Get the car up to temp and see if the fans are operating a lot on tick over.... Every 30 seconds or so and you have an issue with the radiator/ fan resistor/ thermostat so bear that in mind.
This is far more likely to be caused by the air con being switched on and is perfectly normal. Checking the radiator is worthwhile and can be done visually. Pay particular attention to the top and bottom where the air flows through the grills.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I think walking away if the water pump hasn't been replaced is a bit steep. They don't all fall apart, it is just known as an above average weak spot. Mine made it well on the way to 200K miles (so did the cluch). I think this is an exception though. Certainly for a £500 service I would doubt a new water pump has been fitted.

Anyway, another bargaining point is that you should get get two keys. If you don't get two keys remember that it will cost you over £200 +VAT to get another from Alfa. Don't listen if the seller says they will:
* "send it on later because it is in a drawer" - they have lost it
* it doesn't work but "it only needs a new battery" - rubbish. no-one puts up with not having an alarm and central locking for the sake of a £1.00 battery
* "you can get a copy made from any high street key shop" - you can't
All of these are common excuses.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a 51 plate, cheers for the help guys much appreciated and certainly something I will into account, if/when I go to have a look.

Cheers

Yatesy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts