Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, have jumped over from the 916 forum as I have sold my Spider and now want a bigger, more modern car.

My situation is as follows:

I drive approx 9000 miles per year (may increase), I have owned Alfas previously (145 Cloverleaf, GT Blackline 1.8TS and 916 Spider 2.0TS) and I am now torn between sticking with the marque or going for something different like a Saab 9-3 Sportwagon, or BMW 5 series Sport.

I am looking to spend around £6K - £8K.

So, leaving aside the Saab (last to chance to see) and the BMW (an 'easy' car), which is it to be?

I like the Blackline GT very much, but don't find 1.8TS 'exciting' to drive.

The Brera, I like the front, but the back end does little for me. But is it a more fun car to drive?

Help me out Alfisti, which should I go for, the 2.0 GT or 2.2 JTS Brera?

Which

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GT diesel, even at under 10k miles per annum?

Nice call - there is one for sale on the classifieds I believe.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
In my experience the GT 2.0 JTS is pants - underpowered wheeze bag of an engine that is thirsty to boot.

I haven't driven the 2.2. Brera but it comes in for similar criticism as being underpowered for the car. HOWEVER, some 2.2 owners report some pretty impressive results from a remap, exhaust and modified induction set up which apparently wakes the car up significantly.

I owned a remapped GT JTD a few years ago and it was a great all round ownership proposition; punchy, great handling, stylish, though it ate clutches for fun...

I looked at a Saab 9-3 AERO convertible last year and it was crap. The one I saw only had five gears (and it was on a 56 plate I think?!), torque steer was terrible and the cabin was shocking. The seats and plastics flexed and squeeked terribly and indicator stalks felt so brittle that they might break off in your hand! I was not impressed at all. (can you tell? :rant::lol:)

If it was me in that price bracket though I would have a face lifted E46 330 M-Sport coupe/ convertible. Soooo much car for the money - great to drive, lovely smooth power, RWD, reliable, well built and still look lovely on the roads now. Also fuel economy wouldn't be that much different to 2.0/ 2.2 JTS from what I hear.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@James

I already have an E46 325Ci M Sport, a sterile driving experience compared to Alfa's (but more solid and reliable). If I were to go BMW I would look at an E39 530i Sport or early E60.

However, my post was "which drives better, Brera or GT?"

Let me qualify that further by asking "which drives better, diesel Brera or diesel GT?"

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ive had GT Diesel, then Brera Petrol, then GT Diesel.
I would not buy another petrol Brera, the fuelling at low speeds is garbage and the engine is gutless.
The wife also owns a BMW 320d, I drive it from here to Bradford and arrive feeling like I've just got in it. I prefer to use the Alfa because at least I feel like I've actually driven somewhere !

Really is personal choice but IMO steer clear of 2.2 Brera.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get a Golf mkV GTI, they're brilliant! Just so happens I know someone who has a lovely example :)
Golf (in fact any VAG car) = :vomit:

I thought this was an Alfa forum people!

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Get a Golf mkV GTI, they're brilliant! Just so happens I know someone who has a lovely example :)
Is that person you perhaps . . . . . :confused: Bored and looking for another Alfa?:thumbs:

·
Registered
504 Posts
I was parked near a GT Blackline the other day, always liked the GT but think they are starting to look slightly dated. The Brera looks a lot more special these days I think.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I park with a lot of very nice (expensive) cars. The Brera looks the part especially from behind. While I like the GT because it is an Alfa, it doesnt have anywhere near the same visual impact and does look dated.

I test drove a 58 reg cloverleaf in mint condition but it didnt make me feel like the Brera did.

I have had my Brera around 3 weeks and have been amazed low many admiring glances it gets, I have even had a complete stranger ask to have a look around it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Golf (in fact any VAG car) = :vomit:

I thought this was an Alfa forum people!
Wow, you an open minded chap aren't you?

And I would remind you that your thread is entitled 'should I buy a GT, a Brera, or a non-Alfa'.

You then go on to highlight the Brera and GT versions least likely to give a rewarding and interesting driving experience.

I'll leave you to it.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, you an open minded chap aren't you?

And I would remind you that your thread is entitled 'should I buy a GT, a Brera, or a non-Alfa'.

You then go on to highlight the Brera and GT versions least likely to give a rewarding and interesting driving experience.

I'll leave you to it.
I think you misunderstand me, I only meant to imply that I personally find VAG cars samey, often overpriced and uninspiring in design. But hey, that's just me.

I have tried to be open minded over the last 10 years, but VAG have yet to come up with a design that interests me, Alfa manage to do it with almost every car.

Allow me to remind YOU that my thread originally mentioned the Saab 9-3 (great design features, dodgy build quality, drives well - sound familiar?) and the the early E60 BMWs - the first of the Bangle designed BMW's.

As for the engine choices I listed on the GT and the Brera, fine - I have only driven a 1.8TS GT, hence the inquiry.

Let's leave it at this, otherwise the ensuing spat will be tedious for both of us and distract me from looking for my next car. Please have the last word too, if you want it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
@James

I already have an E46 325Ci M Sport, a sterile driving experience compared to Alfa's (but more solid and reliable). If I were to go BMW I would look at an E39 530i Sport or early E60.

However, my post was "which drives better, Brera or GT?"

Let me qualify that further by asking "which drives better, diesel Brera or diesel GT?"
The GT albeit a few years old now still outdrives the Brera by a mile!
:cool:
I have hours of fun (12k miles a year for the last 4 years) in my 2.0 JTS Selespeed, nothing much keeps up on the bendy bits:thumbs::lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts