Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Would you buy a new model alfa with a V6?

• Yes

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other

Votes: 1 7.7%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
With much discussion surrounding AR's fate in the foreseeable future, was wondering whether the introduction of a new V6 engine plant, designed and built in Italy by AR, would help sales.

It seems most people prefer the defunct Busso powered V6 to the GM block/AR induction V6 in the Brera/159/Spider.

Given FIAT's take over of Chrysler, would a collaboritive effort be aceptable?

More importantly, would any Alfisti buy a new model Alfa with a V6 (assuming AR will develop one for the Giulia/159 replacement or maybe even the 169 if it ever gets off the ground).

Pure speculation of course but would be interesting to hear people's views.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
In reality a decent 4 does the trick with most Alfas these days.
I am not interested in anything bigger then the coming Giulietta (and it is on the big side)
and a 1.8 Turbo is big enough in that...so I do not care about a V6.
Alfa is going to get caught up in the Hybrid/Diesel/Electric thing ....
and none of these appeal. Hopefully the 1.8 TBi will be readily available for several more years.
Not interested in a 1.4 Turbo.
If the insurance companies here in OZ are going to make me pay through the nose for having a Turbo,
I do not want a 1.4 one.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Fair point Stori. :)

I'm thinking maybe with some auto manufacturers more or less downsizing to smaller, economical engines, there simply won't be a demand for a V6?

Personally, I would love to see AR produce one but it seems the marque is indeed heading in another direction.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
I am thinking maybe only for a top of the range Giulia or 166 replacement ...
Which would probably mean a Chrysler based V6,
assuming Alfa survives that long. :rolleyes:
Thinking if Giulietta is a 'flop' then Alfa is gone for good.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
I think Alfa is defined by the V6 engine.

Without it they may as well just become Fiat.

It needs to be a proper Alfa effort though. Not a worked over unit from another manufacturer.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I think Alfa is defined by the V6 engine.

Without it they may as well just become Fiat.

It needs to be a proper Alfa effort though. Not a worked over unit from another manufacturer.
Totally agree with this line of thinking (even though I did buy an Alfa V6 with a GM block :eek::lol:)

P.S. I suspect you're right on the money Stori with AR's last throw of the dice resting on the success of the Giulietta - in particular it's proposed launch in the US market.

·
Administrator
47,053 Posts
I think that while enthusiasts would like to see it maybe, it wouldn't help Alfa a jot.
It'd cost a massive amount to create, and wouldn't sell any better than a v6 sourced elsewhere and re-engineered.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
Well I like my Bussos.

How about a compromise and have a 2 litre 24v Turbo Busso?

Must be an improvement on the TBi engine that never made it over here Officially.

Or an Official AD style large capacity supercharged for the Q4s? Have a proper halo model up with the RS/AMG/M cars?

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Maybe this:

Chrysler Pentastar V6 Engines for 2010 and Beyond

would be a good starting point?

I have some experience of Chrysler's old V6,s, in a 1994 Concord & in a 2009 Dodge Charger. The engine in the Concord was typically American - sluggish, didn't want to rev & sounded rough at anything above 3,000 rev/min. The Charger, on the other hand. . . red-lined at 6,500, with an auto box that changed up at 6,200 - very unAmerican! Sounded good at high revs too; the sort of engine you rev hard just to hear the noise - almost, dare I say, Alfa-like! If the Pentastar has the same sort of character it would be a worthy Alfa engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd definitely want to see a new V6, completely designed and built by AR. The Busso is, in my opinion, one of the world's best V6 ever, and the sound is unique.

As large displacement, naturally aspirated engines are getting rare these days, AR could take that chance and introduce a V6 again. But the question is, what's more profitable at the end of the day - a rather outdated V6 (which would probably be bought mostly by enthusiasts) or up-to-date turbo four bangers (which will make the biggest portion of the sales).

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
Look back at the Type 4s, three came with 4 pot tubos as the top of the range (9000 Griffin and 8.32 Thema excepted), and the 164 had a 3.0 12v V6 (then 24v).
Now the wheel has turned again and small capacity turbo engines are in vogue again. I think the management for such engines as reached a level of sophistication and reliabilty that you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference at the wheel, between them and a large n/a engine.

The old 900 had MASSIVE turbo lag, and my tuned 9000 would spin it's wheels twice in each gear (once when the clutch came up and again when the turbo kicked in). Today turbo cars are much more civilised and tuned for economy and enviroment not output.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
I even think an inline 5 cylinder engine would be a good alternative to a V6 if the V6 was not developed.

It wouldn't take much to re-engineer the 5 cylinder Fiat Unit to meet modern emissions regulations.

4 cylinder engines are good at what they do i.e. propelling a car, but a vast majority of them lack character.

Alfa need something to make them more special from the rest of the mainstream.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
If Alfa don't make a 6 cylinder engine, people will look for their 6 cylinder fix elsewhere.

I hate to say it, but I may end up with a BMW in the future instead of an Alfa.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
they ought to be making a v8 for a new 159gta
a few medium v6's and a diesel v6 for the eco lot

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
If Alfa don't make a 6 cylinder engine, people will look for their 6 cylinder fix elsewhere.

I hate to say it, but I may end up with a BMW in the future instead of an Alfa.
anythings possible..I have a Volvo with a Straight 5 ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Nope. Wrong time for big motors.

Innovation is the name of the game. (And always has been chez Alfa.)

Small light engines, multiple ignition, flat fours, exotic valve timing,
now turbos, twin turbos. Lets see more of this! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Now where's did I put that Camaro brochure.......? :p

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Nope. Wrong time for big motors.

Innovation is the name of the game. (And always has been chez Alfa.)

Small light engines, multiple ignition, flat fours, exotic valve timing,
now turbos, twin turbos. Lets see more of this! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Now where's did I put that Camaro brochure.......? :p
Just what I need , A highly stressed motor working overtime running the AC on a 42+ C day....:lol:
Still 34 C outside at 1.30 am ..actually it is 34 C inside and the AC is on the blink from last year and I am too mean to fix it :lol:
Going to be a long old night!

Actually Weatherbug is telling me it is currently 44C outside in the middle of the night but I know it's lying....

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I think that while enthusiasts would like to see it maybe, it wouldn't help Alfa a jot.
It'd cost a massive amount to create, and wouldn't sell any better than a v6 sourced elsewhere and re-engineered.
That's pretty much what I was thinking, and they wouldn't sell enough cars that utilise it in anywhere near the volumes to make it viable to develop one.

Mind you it would be Fiat Powertrain Technologies developing it not Alfa, so if they come up with one that Alfa can use that is a good strong performer then why not?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts