Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tried this a few days ago... So still requires some time for proofing :)

After a few attempts at costly leather conditioing and renewing products, I decided to give kiwi shoe shine polish a chance.

Cost me less than a pound.

Wheel looks almost as new. I am sure if I were a pro I might have it look fantastic as shoes look after a proper buff... Nevertheless, it looks really good. The faded (2 and 10 position) areas are much deeper and the shine is back all around. I think the black pigment could be darker or I can do another round.
Maked ingredients are solvent, pigment and wax. I suspect the solvent also attacks some of the existing pigment or perhaps a previous layer of dye.

I still do not know how it will withstand sweat, wear and will it rub off as pigment, wax or even get my hands dirty (as I found with other high grade treatments).

Will post updates in a week or so.

-------------
Cogito Ergo Zoom

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more than 2 weeks running - Looks fantastic and does not really peel, wear out or rub.

However, as I see it getting a bit dull and losing some of the shine, I think I do need to make a better effort next time and get more of the stuff on it - as well as polish it better after drying with perhaps a softer cloth.

Recommend this highly - so much better than the other means I have tried.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i tried that once, i also got a very good finish with the shoe shine liquid in a bottle (the one with the sponge on the end) it has a dye in it and sealed really well, you could then finish with normal shoe polish as you have to give it that shine. :thumbs:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a good tip, but does it make the wheel slip in your hands?..
No it does not. However, as the previous finish lost it's polished texture a long time ago, I actually worked on a smooth rubbery feel-like surface rather than a smooth slick "new leather" surface. This might have contributed to the final result which was polished and smooth but not slippery.

The Mazda 6 (company car... so please...) I use, has a leather steering wheel that is now smooth as silk, is a bit slippery when wet from sweat - my hands sort of glide on it if I do not apply too much pressure (got that glazed rather than polished look) and it is barely 2.5 years old. I never applied any conditioning agents to it.

i tried that once, i also got a very good finish with the shoe shine liquid in a bottle (the one with the sponge on the end) it has a dye in it and sealed really well, you could then finish with normal shoe polish as you have to give it that shine. :thumbs:
:cool:

I think your way is probably the best approach to achieve a uniform finish - as the liquid ones seem to have considerably more dye in them than the paste.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts