Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'll have to change my shocks in the near future, but already have been told by the missus that I'm not allowed to go for stiffer shocks (as I had in the Selespeed - B6's). So I've been seriously considering going for a set of B4's, but then I came across a set of OEM GTA shocks...

Anyway, can anyone tell me the major difference in terms of stiffness between the two? I know that B4's are a bit stiffer than the sports pack OEM, but what about the GTA ones, how stiff are they? Would they be between the B4's and the B6's?

Thanks for your input! :)

:beer:

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
B4's are supposed to be OEM spec twin tube dampers. Probably better built than the OEM but same damping performance.

B6's are Monotube designs. 15% stiffer but under pressure so better built and shouldn't spring a leak. In my experience the powder coating is poor though and the the metal underneath is not galvinised so they rust fast. They can be used on unlowered cars.

B8's are B6's with shorter rods. Same damping spec but designed for lowered cars.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Been told by the missus?! Tut tut...

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I am looking at changing in the GT 3.2 soon.

I don't want the B12 kit, I don't drive fast enough and I want comfort.

Will B4 and Eibach pro springs work on the V6, and keep the OEM height or slightly lower? I don't mind lowering but not ridiculously.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I am looking at changing in the GT 3.2 soon.

I don't want the B12 kit, I don't drive fast enough and I want comfort.

Will B4 and Eibach pro springs work on the V6, and keep the OEM height or slightly lower? I don't mind lowering but not ridiculously.
Comfort, in a GT 3.2?! I'm getting kW coil overs, supposed to be the best for our 3.2's. Variant 1 about £800 so not much more than a b12 kit. Adjustable ride height and with v2 and v3 adjustable damping.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Comfort, in a GT 3.2?! I'm getting kW coil overs, supposed to be the best for our 3.2's. Variant 1 about £800 so not much more than a b12 kit. Adjustable ride height and with v2 and v3 adjustable damping.

Again another option, but I'll be honest I just wanted a plug and play option. I don't want to go too low, and I really cannot see myself adjusting the suspension. I am happy with how stock sits but the setup is tired, I'd like if I could just less crashiness.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if I understood correctly, B4's are a bit stiffer than Sport Pack OEM and B6's are a bit stiffer than GTA OEM, is that it?

So could we put it like this (in terms of stiffness):
1 - Sport Pack OEM
2 - B4
3 - GTA OEM
4 - B6

1 being softer and 4 being stiffer.

Yes? :)
Ok, so I finally got an answer on this. The answer is YES! :)

B6's are a bit stiffer than OEM GTA shocks, just like B4's are a bit stiffer than standard OEM Sports Pack shocks. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Hi guys,

but already have been told by the missus that I'm not allowed to go for stiffer shocks
Thanks for your input! :)

I know why the (first) lady have put her food down!
When the Japanese introduced their cars in the US and Europe, ladies liked the looks and extra equipment compared to European cars.
But after a test drive the ladies didn't like them - the ingenious Japan engineers hadn't taken into account that European and US ladies had lager and thus heavier breasts than their Japanese sisters.
So unless you go track racing (on tracks or Her Queen's Highways) go for OEM set up :thumbup::censored:

·
Registered
38,703 Posts
I would go with the B6's if you want a slightly handling biased setup, or B4 if you want something slightly more comfort orientated.

Alfa always seem to fit shocks which are not quite up to the job along with springs which are a bit too stiff, even on later models. Both shocks provide better damping than standard, so should be in improvement.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I would go with the B4's if you want a slightely handling biased setup, or B4 if you want something slightly more comfort orientated.

Alfa always seem to fit shocks which are not quite up to the job along with springs which are a bit too stiff, even on later models. Both shocks provide better damping than standard, so should be in improvement.
so you'd always go B4 then?

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
I have B6s on my 156 2.5. Too harsh. Very good handling, but on bad roads it is a bit of a rattling ride.

The GT 3.2 has factory dampers. Rubbish.

The 156 GTA has FSDs. All the handling of the B6s, but none of the harshness. So far I'm impressed.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have B6s on my 156 2.5. Too harsh. Very good handling, but on bad roads it is a bit of a rattling ride.

The GT 3.2 has factory dampers. Rubbish.

The 156 GTA has FSDs. All the handling of the B6s, but none of the harshness. So far I'm impressed.

I know it has been commented on earlier in the thread, but do you have any experience of B4? (Especially compared to standard on the GT)

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
I have B4s on the front of the 155 (and I put them on my mum's Vectra, but that doesn't count).

They feel pretty similar to OEM, but in both cases they were replacing truly knackered items so it is a bit hard to make a comparison. The feel a bit stiffer, but not too harsh. The FSDs are very stiff when it counts, but whatever they have done to the valving seems to work. My standard route has a section that really upsets the B4s and B6s on the 155 and 156, but the FSD equipped GTA just deals with it.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have B4s on the front of the 155 (and I put them on my mum's Vectra, but that doesn't count).

They feel pretty similar to OEM, but in both cases they were replacing truly knackered items so it is a bit hard to make a comparison. The feel a bit stiffer, but not too harsh. The FSDs are very stiff when it counts, but whatever they have done to the valving seems to work. My standard route has a section that really upsets the B4s and B6s on the 155 and 156, but the FSD equipped GTA just deals with it.

Interesting. Thank you for that it's good info, the shocks on my GT will be the originals I think and are very tired, just need to figure out what to replace them with. Think I have ruled out B6, just looking for a good compromise on ride and handling.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
..i've done a good bit of driving on FSDs in both a 3.0 166 and a 1.6 147. I think they're really good for a quick road car.. when you're pottering about the car just feels perfectly normal, or i should say a really good version of normal, but when you start to push on it really uses all four tyres and exploits the suspension setup of these cars really well.

Only caveat is that i'm pretty sure i've read around here that koni decided the front of the GT/147 was too low so they added 15mm to the ride height..?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts