Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, has anyone ever replaced the rear shocks on a 146ti? any hints and tips would be gratefully received. Cheers in advance:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
not repleced them, but its an easy job, apart from one big watch out.....

the bolt that secured to top of the shock is in a box section and the access hole is quite small, so you need to tape your socket onto the end of your extension bar as its very easy to knock the socket off the end and loose it in the box section. Once it's come in there, you will never get it out and will be cursed be a rattle for ever more. Oh, and you will need to get a new nut and you cannot drive to Halfords cos your car is in bits.

The manual on how to do it is on the 145.com site, and the job is the same as a Tipo/Bravo and there are Haynes manuals for those cars.

HTH

·
Registered
37,360 Posts
I wrote a guide for the Fiat Coupe forum on how to do this, and as it is exactly the same as on the 145 here is a link to it.

I stuffed a plastic bad into the box section before removing the top bolt, in case anything gets dropped in there. You then remove it after you have finished.

UBB Message - Fiat Coupe Forum

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not repleced them, but its an easy job, apart from one big watch out.....

the bolt that secured to top of the shock is in a box section and the access hole is quite small, so you need to tape your socket onto the end of your extension bar as its very easy to knock the socket off the end and loose it in the box section. Once it's come in there, you will never get it out and will be cursed be a rattle for ever more. Oh, and you will need to get a new nut and you cannot drive to Halfords cos your car is in bits.

The manual on how to do it is on the 145.com site, and the job is the same as a Tipo/Bravo and there are Haynes manuals for those cars.

HTH
Might deliberately leave the socket in there to drown out the noise that the spring is making when it bottoms out!!:lol: Thanks for the advice guys will get on with that when i have worked through the other items on my list..........Oh the joys of owning an Alfa!!!!!!:lol:

·
Registered
37,360 Posts
Might deliberately leave the socket in there to drown out the noise that the spring is making when it bottoms out!!:lol: Thanks for the advice guys will get on with that when i have worked through the other items on my list..........Oh the joys of owning an Alfa!!!!!!:lol:
Diddy are your bump stops missing?

They are easy to replace, if you unscrew the lower bump stop (if that one is in there) whilst the car is in the the air and the suspension hanging the spring requires very little compression to pull it out. There is nothing other than the weight of the car and the bump stops holding it in.

When the spring is out the bump stop can be replaced. :thumbs:

I would say removing the springs is easier than doing the shocks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dibby are your bump stops missing?

They are easy to replace, if you unscrew the lower bump stop (if that one is in there) whilst the car is in the the air and the suspension hanging the spring requires very little compression to pull it out. There is nothing other than the weight of the car and the bump stops holding it in.

When the spring is out the bump stop can be replaced. :thumbs:

I would say removing the springs is easier than doing the shocks.
Bump stops are in place mate. Im a little gutted as i did the rear bushes a few weeks back (nightmare) and if i had known the shocks were on there way out i could have replaced them then. Nearside shock is definately knackered, really has affected the ride. will check stops are ok when i do the job though:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts