Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be lucky to see 6k from my 19" front tyres, I had them aligned when they were new 3mths ago and the guy at the tyre place told me that Alfas can't be adjusted like other makes, so get used to it!!, the outside of the tyres are untouched just the insides going.

Is this really acceptable? if not how do you get more mileage?

NB: I'm long past wheel spinning at every junction to impress the ladies.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Toe-in and Toe-out can be adjusted on anything apart from a motorbike.

Use the "new" settings suggested above, since factory sets "toe" to make the steering more or less responsive and they probably realised that the original settings were too extreme, or they may simply have published the wrong values..

Camber might be a different issue. If your tyre place thinks the camber is out (they shoulda measured it to know it's out or not) then that can only be fixed with new suspension components (worn wishbones tend to increase camber, for instance).

If your car has good suspension but camber is still out (e.g. if you had a nudge on that corner) then you need to straighten out whatever is holding the geometry out of shape or correct the mis-alignment by building in some adjustability yourself.

I'm not sure that there are any camber adjustment kits for '59 yet.. basically they mount the top strut to a plate that can be moved slightly in relation to the strut mount, rather than the strut mount itself. You only need to move the top of the strut a few millimeteres to change camber by a degree..

Anyway.. more likely it's the "toe".. but anything is possible and it can probably be resolved one way or another..

Ralf S.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
What your guy really meant was 'I cant adjust Alfas like other makes'.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What he actually said was that it is not possible to adjust certain parts so they can't be aligned properly.

The print out he gave me shows in red where the wheels are out both sides.

What do others on the forum get from front tyres with 19's and what set up issues are experienced out there.

My Mrs car went into the same place recently (not an Alfa) and happy days, adjusted perfectly ffs.

·
Administrator
87,070 Posts
Have you read the thread I linked to above ? It contains the answers to all your questions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts