Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I know that asking which shock absorber is 'best' is a bit like asking 2 solicitors about a point in law and getting 3 opinions!

My partner's 147 had the rear spring pan collapse and so I need some advice on what to avoid. I have been on Autodoc and can get Ridex for £35 each or TRW for £70 each, after that the sky's the limit!
I checked with GSF and they have Monroes off the shelf @ £72

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Monroe seem to have a range of shock absorbers/dampers/struts. I guess that is why you could get 3 opinions.

Once upon a time I did rear dampers on a couple of Corsas. Don't ask! Anyway, one had the premium Sachs brand fitted and the other was a cheaper brand (Chinese made, whatever label- probably similar to Ridex). Handling wise, I can't say but the car with the Sachs dampers had a better ride although the body control definitely was at least as good. The cheap ones weren't bad though.

As your car is a 147, I cannot be sure but the 156 has standard and sports suspension options. I can say that TRW makes dampers for 156s with factory sports suspension (as well as standard). Monroe Reflex dampers are also suitable for factory sports suspension (their listings -not completely clear- say so as does my experience). Monroe also list their OE Spectrum range as suitable for 156 sports. That bit may be important for handling and indeed ride. Monroe Original will definitely be a bit lacking in control though and you will more pitching going over bumps (for cars with sports suspension but possibly less so for the shorter 147). Unfortunately, the 147 never had well defined suspension variants but after around 2003, 147s came with the comfort suspension which had softer springs and firmer damping.

Therefore, in short get TRW if you can wait or Monroe OE Spectrum rear struts part number 742058SP for 147.
I expect the Monroe Original rear struts to be a little softer; part number G8019 but I do not have experience of these on a 147. Monroe v TRW should put Monroe ahead but personal preference will also play a part in that.

Monroe Reflex front dampers part number E5091 are still available for 147, GT and 156 (sports suspension( BTW.
Diitto the Monroe OE Spectrum 376059SP but I have no experience of these either.

Getting parts from Autodoc will take 10 days as they are in Berlin.

Clear?
As mud, no doubt.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You can get Bilstein B4 for about 130 euros. For general use everybody will be happy. I recently put them in my wife's Opel Corsa. You can't go wrong with these.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I fitted TRW rears to my 156 when they failed. From Alfashop in UK. Mine was lowered (Sportpack) edition. Springs on earlier 156s where Eibachs and shocks were mainly Bilsteins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts