Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my car back from the garage yesterday (Ferdi's in Lytham, will recommend) and it turns out that it needs new shocks on the rear. It's a 2002 2.4 JTD SW and, according to Parker's, it looks like it's one of the Veloce variants.

Can anyone suggest which ones to go for? I don't want to spend silly money but I would like the car to stop bouncing around over bumps and under braking. Are the stock parts any good (I wouldn't know as it's been like this since I got it... usedcarbuyingfail)?

I've been told that about £100 a corner for the parts should cover it... is this right and what can I get for it?

Ta!
Ben

·
Registered
30,105 Posts
First of all you need to find out if your car has the Novimat self-levelling rear suspension.

If it does, you can't just swap in std dampers and you won't want to splash out on a pair of new Novimats either.

Have a search, there have been many threads on it.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
First of all you need to find out if your car has the Novimat self-levelling rear suspension.

If it does, you can't just swap in std dampers and you won't want to splash out on a pair of new Novimats either.

Have a search, there have been many threads on it.
So the novimat self leveling are not so good then!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
No - they are good but expensive to replace and have slightly different fittings to "normal" shocks so you need additional bits if you switch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankfully, it doesn't have the Nivomats. So, any suggestions? I have done a search but as far as I can tell people seem to already know a bit before asking. I know nothing about shocks.

The main contenders seem to be Koni, Eibach and Bilstein. What are the pros / cons of each? Are there alternatives?

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Thankfully, it doesn't have the Nivomats. So, any suggestions? I have done a search but as far as I can tell people seem to already know a bit before asking. I know nothing about shocks.

The main contenders seem to be Koni, Eibach and Bilstein. What are the pros / cons of each? Are there alternatives?
Are you certain, virtually all SW's had nivomats as standard ? Need to be absolutely 100% certain because if it does the standard springs will also need replacing, the nivomats by design do some of the leveling work a spring does, if you put standard shocks in with the existing springs the rear sits on the floor. Talk to EB spares, but factor in more than £100 a corner.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just put Shop4parts top line on and drive happy :) Cheep and cheerfull.
I was just looking on Shop4Parts - I am googline 'Top Line' Shocks...
Are they any good then?

I had my rear shocks replaced last year as they had rotten through.
I replaced them with Monroe ones and they seem pretty good.

I've just not heard of 'Top Line' before and wondering how they fare as on shop4parts they're a fair price...

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
A Veloce (sports suspension) should have TRW JGM274 (T for twin pack) rear struts. The extended piston length is 20mm shorter than standard suspension (JGM 267) struts. They are not listed for Veloce as it goes back to the old chestnut of a belief that SWs did not have sports suspension. That is just an Alfa Romeo thing.

A SW with sports or Veloce suspension has rear ride height of around 275mm wheel centre to wheel arch whereas standard suspension is 290-295mm on a SW.

Bilstein B4 or B6 should be fine as should Koni STR.T or Sport

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Lol, if hes looking at "Topline" ones he clearly hasnt the cash for Bilstein Bs or Koni STR.Ts.

Monroe's Reflex part number E4906 have short pistons for sportpack cars (also GTAs and GT 3.2), theyre good dampers too, same principle as FSDs but better and much cheaper than Bilsteins or Konis.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Other differences in dampers for Sportpack or Veloce cars is the valves are set slightly tauter. Finally, front dampers of original or quality OE replacements for standard suspension use twin tube front dampers whereas factory sports come with monotube front dampers.

AFAIK, TRW are the only brand which correctly list different part numbers for standard or sports dampers.

Finally, I sent my 156 JTS OE springs to springcoil in Sheffield to have Veloce reproduction springs available again as no aftermarket brands now produce 156 Veloce/Sportpack springs. Mine are the later 9 coil front springs which are easier to fit.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
My '98 TS had what was known as Sportpack 1 suspension .. later known as Veloce spec .. 25mm lower than standard using Eibach springs. When the rear shocks collapsed due to rusted spring mounts I fitted TRW shocks from AlfaShop.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Other differences in dampers for Sportpack or Veloce cars is the valves are set slightly tauter. Finally, front dampers of original or quality OE replacements for standard suspension use twin tube front dampers whereas factory sports come with monotube front dampers.

AFAIK, TRW are the only brand which correctly list different part numbers for standard or sports dampers.

Finally, I sent my 156 JTS OE springs to springcoil in Sheffield to have Veloce reproduction springs available again as no aftermarket brands now produce 156 Veloce/Sportpack springs. Mine are the later 9 coil front springs which are easier to fit.
The dampers are the weak link in the suspension of 156s, 147s and GTs, decent after market dampers, are deffo the way to go, twin tube or monotube.

You are incorrect when you say that TRW are the only brand which correctly list the part numbers, see my previous post about the Monroes.

The Monroes I mentioned are also stiffer, as theyre designed for sportpack/GTA/V6 cars.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The Monroes for the rear I replaced via the part number listed for my 2001 2.0L petrol 147.
When the old dampers/ shocks came off I could just about see through the crud/ rust that they had the same part number and looked like original parts from the ‘shield’ logo I’ve seen on other OEM parts.
I got these shocks from GSF.
The previous owner of my car had it lowered by 40mm.
So I’m guessing just the springs changed then.
I’ve never driven an un-modified 147, not even another 147 for that matter.
As I am used to seeing my car, every other 147 looks like it’s on stilts!
Though 40mm is low enough for me definately and certainly low enough for the sump, the front bumper that protrudes quite a bit forward from the wheels and also the tyres which are not wheel adjustable for camber.
(Unless getting a kit from someone on this forum).

·
Registered
576 Posts
The reason I had a browse at front shocks is that corrosion on the outside was listed on MOT advisories.
I think they did that because I questioned why my rear corrosion wasn’t spotted on the rear shocks as the plate where the springs rest on; both were hollow and one had collapsed which meant it rested on the spring cutting a channel into the tyre.
I was lucky not to get a blowout considering those tyres were (thankfully) well worn and particularly o the inner edge due to the aforementioned tyre wear due to camber from lowering.
I asked why those rear shocks were missed considering they were hanging on by a thread and one collapsed just 9 months after MOT.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
The Monroes for the rear I replaced via the part number listed for my 2001 2.0L petrol 147.
When the old dampers/ shocks came off I could just about see through the crud/ rust that they had the same part number and looked like original parts from the ‘shield’ logo I’ve seen on other OEM parts.
I got these shocks from GSF.
The previous owner of my car had it lowered by 40mm.
So I’m guessing just the springs changed then.
I’ve never driven an un-modified 147, not even another 147 for that matter.
As I am used to seeing my car, every other 147 looks like it’s on stilts!
Though 40mm is low enough for me definately and certainly low enough for the sump, the front bumper that protrudes quite a bit forward from the wheels and also the tyres which are not wheel adjustable for camber.
(Unless getting a kit from someone on this forum).
The reason I had a browse at front shocks is that corrosion on the outside was listed on MOT advisories.
I think they did that because I questioned why my rear corrosion wasn’t spotted on the rear shocks as the plate where the springs rest on; both were hollow and one had collapsed which meant it rested on the spring cutting a channel into the tyre.
I was lucky not to get a blowout considering those tyres were (thankfully) well worn and particularly o the inner edge due to the aforementioned tyre wear due to camber from lowering.
I asked why those rear shocks were missed considering they were hanging on by a thread and one collapsed just 9 months after MOT.

So youre saying you have a car lowered by 40mm but you got a standard damper to replace a worn one ?

I replaced a rear shock on my 147 at the weekend - the spring seat had weakened and moved down, rubbing on the tyre, just like yours, as you said, we were both very lucky - this usually happens at speed and the entire spring seat collapses onto the tyre shredding the tyre and causing a blow out, I didnt get an OEM replacment but I did see a shield on it.

Some standard 147s were pretty high riding, but TIs, Q2s, Ducati Corses and GTAs were lower, even if it started out asone of the higher ones, I think 40mm is a bit much though TBH.

·
Registered
576 Posts
So youre saying you have a car lowered by 40mm but you got a standard damper to replace a worn one ?
- I didn’t know much about it. I just replaced what was there I was unaware of different dampers for spring lengths. It worked ok before complete rust through.
I got my usual mechanic to install them.
Then as he hasn't got a tyre machine I went off to get the rear tyres changed and the guy questioned the length of the damper hanging down.
I suppose with a short spring and a standard OEM damper/ shock the spring will be more movable in that space.
He didn't mention this when I had all 4 wheels re-tyred a few years back though...

Back to my mechanic to discuss this he said it's been ok up til now with that set up so it should be ok to continue.

I guess unless I am regularly airborne in the car like in the 'General Lee' in 'Dukes Of Hazard' then I should be ok...

I replaced a rear shock on my 147 at the weekend - the spring seat had weakened and moved down, rubbing on the tyre, just like yours, as you said, we were both very lucky - this usually happens at speed and the entire spring seat collapses onto the tyre shredding the tyre and causing a blow out,I didnt get an OEM replacment but I did see a shield on it.
- yes bloomin’ lucky indeed!
I spotted my one on return after a 50 mile round trip.
If I’d spotted it the other end I would not have risked the journey.
I did hear noises but thought it was a rear brake binding.

“I didnt get an OEM replacment but I did see a shield on it.”
- a shield you say? Not heard of this where is the shield please? What does it look like?

Some standard 147s were pretty high riding, but TIs, Q2s, Ducati Corses and GTAs were lower, even if it started out asone of the higher ones, I think 40mm is a bit much though TBH.
- Well my 147 is April 2001 so it’ll be the 1st edition/ early one.
Do you know by how much the subsequent 147’s you mentioned were lowered by?

I agree 40mm is a bit much and I’d have not done this myself. I reckon 30mm the limit perhaps but I’d have seeked/ (sook?) advice beforehand.
It is down to funds; I’m not rushing to change things at the moment.

However if the front shocks do need replacing then I could look at a pair of sports ones / shocks matching the spring length, and also look into 10mm spacers if there is such a thing all round bringing the ride height back up a bit.
I know my tyres alone would thank me for it!!

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Think you might want to edit your post, youve made it look like I said a load of things you have . . . .

So you used Monroes when you replaced them ?

I drove mine 3 or 4 times about 100m to a garage to work on it, each time thinking that "I need to look at that seized rear brake piston".

The shield is on the body of the damper.

I think the factory lowered some models by around 20 - 25mm

1 - 20 of 25 Posts