Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Im doing the suspension on my 2002 156 2.0TS, new wishbones upper and lower and new ARB on the front and new shock absorbers all the way round.

Now our roads here in the Eastern Cape of Souf Efrika are often best discussed in the past tense, as in: "Remember there were patches of road between these potholes?"

No, Im exaggerating, national roads are actually world class. But the internal roads are VERY potholey, and (please dont shoot me) I do drive the occasional bit of gravel road if unavoidable.

Now the question is: Which shock absorbers would be best in my situation? From what Ive gleaned from the forums is that I should be buying either the Bilstein B6's, Yellow or Red Koni's or RHB special valved Bilsteins.

The last one is probably the most expensive option, if I can get them here at all. My worry is that they will be made for the track, and be stiffer rather than more forgiving.

Right now, if I drive over a penny I feel it in my spine. Admittedly, my shocks are gone and the lower wishbones are shot.

What I REALLY want, is to make the ride more soft and forgiving, even if this means slowing down a bit going through corners (right now I try to take them all at 180km/h).

Anybody got any advice on which shocks will suit my road conditions best?

Also; is it worth changing the springs too?

Any feedback would be AWESOME!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Can't really say what struts you should consider, but you may want to consider different spring rates as well as the struts to smooth things out a bit. Not necessarily anything stiffer but something progressive.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Twin tube shocks, sometimes called oil shocks are a better bet than mono tube/gas shocks. The RHB Billies are track focussed B8's with shorted struts and designed for a GTA/JTD which weighs much more than a TS so they would be oversprung. The B6's are gas shocks but might be alright though, they are only 30% stiffer than OEM and standard dampers are too soft. You can go much more quickly if you aren't risking losing your teeth.

You might want to consider Koni FSD shocks, they are adaptive dampers so might suit your mixed driving conditions. Also, fit a strut brace, it will keep the wheels out of potholes!

Nick

·
Registered
124 Posts
Monroe make a range of shockers for the Alfa 156. I have no experience with them but have heard they are quite soft. Cheaper than the German stuff too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm assuming you have 16 size wheels, and a decent set of compliant tyres, does make a difference, but the 2.0 TS should not be that bad. I'd agree that Monroe shocks can be good for bad roads, I recall they used to do a 'heavy duty' version which were great.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't really say what struts you should consider, but you may want to consider different spring rates as well as the struts to smooth things out a bit. Not necessarily anything stiffer but something progressive.
OK, so I should replace the springs as well.... What is a progressive spring and how do I get them?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might want to consider Koni FSD shocks, they are adaptive dampers so might suit your mixed driving conditions. Also, fit a strut brace, it will keep the wheels out of potholes!
Awesome advice, thanks a million! A strut brace will just improve handling, not make the ride more comfortable, right?

·
Registered
981 Posts
A strut brace will tighten up the handling and help the suspension geometry to work optimally. It shouldn't really affect the comfort much. Think of your engine bay like an open cardboard box. In effect, a strut brace closes the lid and tapes it up.

Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts