Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently rebushing my series 4 spider and have come to the conclusion I need new shocks.

Question is,do I go for standard shocks or do I upgrade to Koni classics or eb spares Bilsteins.

I quite like my spider as a soft comfy cruiser rather than a fast road car with suspension thats too firm.

The roads around my part of the world are in a real mess with ridges,potholes and the like.

Do the more expensive shocks give a 'better' ride than standard or would I be safer to stick with standard shocks.

What do you reckon folks?:)

G

·
0 Posts
I changed the original (1977) shocks last year for red Koni adjustables. Set to full soft settings, they seem to work really well - certainly an improvement on the originals, which had turned into toilet plungers 25,000 miles ago...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Shocks/dampers don't affect the stiffness of the suspension - that is the job of springs. Dampers reduce the tendency to keep bouncing - the wallowing effect you see on 70s American cars (esp. Kojak, Starsky & Hutch, Rockford Files etc).

I'd certainly endorse garwood1's recommendation of adjustable shocks - you get the ability to experiment and, as the shocks wear out you just stiffen the settings to get more life out of them. But really think about stiffer springs, you may think you like your current set up but it makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Bilsteins are a little hardcore to be honest. Koni Sports (the yellow ones) similarly so. I've driven an S3 on the road and track with Koni Classic (red) shock absorbers and been impressed considering the rest was standard. Ride quality is good, if not better than stadard as the body's better controlled over bumps and the car went well on the track too. At Alfaholics we don't sell "standard" shocks for these cars, they're not worth the money. For a standard car on standard springs, fit the reds, if you're fitting a suspension kit with stiffer rates you'll want the yellows as the rates are better matched to the firmer springs.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Mound Dawg,I've just ordered Koni classics from Alfaholics so I'll come back here and write up what I think of them,it could be a while though the rate I'm going:lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts