Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
23,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I may have posted elsewhere we are currently renting a riverside apartment overlooking the entrance to Ipswich Haven Marina.

Ships dock on the quayside after coming through the lock and, over the last year, we have spent many happy hours on the balcony watching yachts, pleasure craft, commercial craft (Suntis in particular) making their way through the lock and mooring along the quayside.

A few weeks ago "Marianne" a 1930's wooden Dutch two master moored opposite us. Looking from a 5th storey balcony it is about 400-500 metres away.

"Marianne" sank whilst in dock about 4 weeks ago - it is not known why. When I got up on Sunday - having been ill for three days I went out onto the balcony with my reviving cup of coffee and a croissant- first food for three days and looked across. Blimey 3 mobile cranes and 2 high power pumps. For the next three hours I watched them raise her from the depths. Free entertainment and all before the Grand Prix - wonderful.

The 'photos are crap - too far away so I had to use the movie camera - 40X optical but only 1 megapixe:-l anyway - here they are.

Sorry about

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:wow:
Insurance scam?
I really doubt it - I saw who I assume from his body language was owner last night and he seemed devastated - all day today 2 guys have been working their socks off - the masts are down and on the quayside and they were washing down the whole ship.

Paul.

A

·
0 Posts
Fascinating. How the heck do they know what to do. It can't be everyday they lift a 2 mast ship off the river bed.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
interesting, would have loved to watch it

·
Administrator
23,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fascinating. How the heck do they know what to do. It can't be everyday they lift a 2 mast ship off the river bed.
My thoughts exactly. They had three mobile cranes - over the last couple of days divers had gone down and managed to put two cradle straps underneath the prow and stern. On Sunday, using a cage suspended by crane number three, two guys attached them to metal bars suspended from each of the other two cranes.

Then they - ever so slowly began to raise it - the water drained out slowly but allowed it to rise. I did take a video of it which is much better than the 'photos posted. Then they started two of the most powerful pumps which they had inserted into the hull - the flow of water was like a waterfall.

It took from 08.00 to 11.30 and was one of the most fascinating mornings I have spent - got rings around me eyes from the binoculars though.

Paul.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Paul....what dya reckon about the local night crawlers doing it?..."you are ripping my f***ing heart out!!!"....hope the gtv wasnt sunk!:)

·
Administrator
23,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paul....what dya reckon about the local night crawlers doing it?..."you are ripping my f***ing heart out!!!"....hope the gtv wasnt sunk!:)
I am not too far away from that theory - they were creeping around last night. All we got then though - at 03.00 - was "OI! I said OI!" - coherent speech was, apparently, not an option.

4 weeks before we move - and the GTV sits undisturbed on the dock - fingers crossed.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Very interesting that was Paul:): Far more so than chimneys and Jackdaws, out back from us.:): Sailing barge weren't it? Or not so? Bet that'll be more than the AA recovery sevice, poor chap?:(:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hi Paul,

I guess you must have the silver GTV with a nice numberplate.
I'm also at Orwell Quay fronting the marina, the last block nearest the new Uni building and the Picton Castle ship. I've been in Turin for the last 6 days and missed the boat being raised. Good to see your pics to see the action and also good to have someone very near in case I need some help.

steve

As I may have posted elsewhere we are currently renting a riverside apartment overlooking the entrance to Ipswich Haven Marina.

Ships dock on the quayside after coming through the lock and, over the last year, we have spent many happy hours on the balcony watching yachts, pleasure craft, commercial craft (Suntis in particular) making their way through the lock and mooring along the quayside.

A few weeks ago "Marianne" a 1930's wooden Dutch two master moored opposite us. Looking from a 5th storey balcony it is about 400-500 metres away.

"Marianne" sank whilst in dock about 4 weeks ago - it is not known why. When I got up on Sunday - having been ill for three days I went out onto the balcony with my reviving cup of coffee and a croissant- first food for three days and looked across. Blimey 3 mobile cranes and 2 high power pumps. For the next three hours I watched them raise her from the depths. Free entertainment and all before the Grand Prix - wonderful.

The 'photos are crap - too far away so I had to use the movie camera - 40X optical but only 1 megapixe:-l anyway - here they are.

Sorry about

·
Administrator
23,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi Paul,

I guess you must have the silver GTV with a nice numberplate.
I'm also at Orwell Quay fronting the marina, the last block nearest the new Uni building and the Picton Castle ship. I've been in Turin for the last 6 days and missed the boat being raised. Good to see your pics to see the action and also good to have someone very near in case I need some help.

steve
Hi Steve,

Yep that's me. So it's your red GTV that I have seen then - wondered who it was. We are (for the next month) in the block called 7 Anchor St. - near that building topped by "Maddona's bra" - being on the 5th floor we get a clear view up the Orwell.

Hope you use Avanti in Ipswich - great guys.

Always happy to help - just PM me. I might even be persuaded to buy you a drink before Liz and I move to the wilds of Trimley.

Paul.

·
Administrator
60,448 Posts
:cool: It's great they brought her back up from the depths. I love watching stuff like this on TV must have been fascinating in person.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
££££££££ to lift that, I would have left it there !!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts