Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shiny_car i could do with your help, I'm wanting to wire a 2channel amp up to my front speakers, i have bypassed the bose amp completely and joined the wires together in the boot. i'm wanting to know what colour wires go to the front doors on the 147/GT and which is positive and which is negative. i would just take the door cards off and look but it's absolutly throwing it down with rain here and just assumed you'd know being the ICE God and all that :lol:

cheers

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
just assumed you'd know being the ICE God and all that :lol:
:lol: not so God-like on this one! :p

i don't know off hand. at best, i'd have to check the workshop manual to find the pin locations in the Bose plug, then go from there.

i don't know if the 147 differs to the GT - probably does - in terms of colours. and i haven't checked if there's another plug/connection between the amplifier end, and the door; cos the wires could change colour at this point.

i'll tell you this much, about the GT:

*left door: pink/blk = POS, purp/blk = NEG
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/19095446/313622713.jpg
*left cabin: red/blk = POS, wht/blck = NEG
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/19095446/313622705.jpg

*right door: red/blk = POS, wht/blk = NEG
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/19095446/319876514.jpg
*right cabin: purp/blk = POS, wht/blk = NEG
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/19095446/319615295.jpg

as you can see, the colours inside the doors is different to the colours in the cabin. i had to trace them back from inside the doors, checking their positions in the multi-pin door plugs, then correlating the wires that joined from the cabin. then confirmed with a multimeter in continuity mode.

if your plan is to connect your amplifier to the factory speakerwires somewhere in the boot (near the Bose amplifier plug), probably best to find the wire locations (pin numbers) in the plug, rather than rely on colours. confirm you have the right wires using a multimeter. and go from there.

:)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Hello God Here :lol: according to eLearn (for a 156 so I presume that the 147 is the same in this respect) ... the following pins are connected to the front speakers ...

- front speaker left
+ front speaker left
+ front speaker right
- front speaker right

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the quick replies!!! had a break in the weather so i managed to get all the wiring in for the amp, just need to find out what speaker wires go where now :lol: i'm wiring an amp up to some aftermarket speakers i bought, the driver's bose speaker was a lot less powerful than the passenger one so i was driving around with the balance on my HU almost all the way to the right, lowering the total volume a fair bit. The speakers i bought for the doors are dynaudio 240 MK II's. heard good things about them but to get their full potential they need a decent amp powering them.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
yeah, they sap up the power. i've used Dyn's in various configs for many years now. excellent speakers.

i would personally run new speakerwiring from the amp, up to the front of the car. then tap into the factory speakerwire near the doors. this minimises the length of factory wiring you rely on. not that the factory wiring is terrible; but depends how much power you anticipate pumping through them.

:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah the wires are the same colour in the 147 as the GT, thanks for the help SC :thumbs: i will be re-wiring the speakers with some betther quality speaker cable - when i can be bothered to do it. but for now the dynaudio's sound phenomenal!! i'm actually thinking they sound almost as good as my cyrus setup in the house.... :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts