Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..

I know that I am no doubt likely to come under some criticism when I describe the current condition of my 147, but I figured this was the best place to advertise!

I purchased my 147 in August 13'. She was due a cambelt change and a service, she was purchased at 72k.
I have carried out the following work since owning:
-Drivers side upper wishbone
-Rear Break pads
-New Injector (2)
-Front Discs / Pads (about 2k miles ago)
-New cambelt, waterpump
-Oil change at 79k

Unfortunately, I have ran the beauty into the ground! I havent had the money to put her right since I was laid off from my job, and she is sat outside awaiting a trip to the scrapyard on the 31st July.

Both front tires are illegal. The front left wheel when I took it off seemed to be quite loose, and further inspection shows the break disc wobbling back and forth also. For those reasons, I will not let anyone drive the thing away.

-It will need a new variator, as I am pretty sure its gone, there is little to no power, and I failed to realise I needed to replace it at the time of changing my cambelt.
-It is using too much oil, and as far as I can see its not leaking it, so that would need investigating.
-I am a stonemason, and as such the interior upholstery is rather 'dusty', however smoke-free.
-Small rust spot on rear bonnet panel to the left of wiper arm.

I have stuck it on eBay three times with an open and honest description, and stated in bold that the car is not being sold to drive away, and three times three blokes have turned up disappointed they cannot get in it and drive away!! Hence my frustration, and offering it here as a final opportunity.

I am asking £200.00 for it, as the 147 has near enough a full-tank of fuel in it, which is £70.00 odd worth of fuel.

I am located in Mid-Wales, and if you are interested, please PM me and I will more than happily provide more details of the vehicle, along with pictures.

I must stress, that I will not let this vehicle be driven away.

It will also be SORN'ed on the 31st July, and as I said, scrapped - which is sad, as I believe someone with the know-how and some spare parts could probably sort this beast out.

EDIT - Shes just ticked over to 90k.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Hi all..

Both front tires are illegal. The front left wheel when I took it off seemed to be quite loose, and further inspection shows the break disc wobbling back and forth also. For those reasons, I will not let anyone drive the thing away.
I would leave that decision to the buyer, if they decide to drive it with worn tyres it's their lookout. The brake disc will wobble with the wheel off, apart from the locating peg (if fitted, and even if it is you may still get a little movement of the disc) the wheel bolts are the only things that hold the disc.

Don't beat yourself up about the condition of the car, if it's been used as a workhorse it's bound to be knackered. Alfas are not the sort that can stand being used as a workhorse, far too fragile.

Good luck

Pub

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
To be honest it really doesn't sound that bad at all and all the major jobs have been completed. I know you are trying to get cash back. Wouldn't take much to get it right really. Get it MOT and you'll get a good £1000 for it.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I've still got mine that needs an engine It sat here nearly a year now and wanted about the same as it is tidy apart from the engine and has all the best bits satnav,sport leather, bose and exellent tyres But nobody was interested and so that will probably following yours as the mot is out in 3 weeks I now need the cash to finish my 164 but it is a very sad state of affairs. :cry: :confused:
It doesn't have the 17" supersports alloys and thats probably the issue as the wheels seem more important than the car.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
They are not worth anything unless they are working with MOT's and a bit of tax.
Else they will only ever be worth scrap value.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Yep sadly that exceeds the value :(
I did think looking at the parts prices that someone would have been better taking the whole car but it seems that its better to buy the parts at double the cost off ebay :confused:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Although buying a complete car is the cheapest cost effective method. People don't want to be left with a shell.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Yep sadly that exceeds the value :(
I did think looking at the parts prices that someone would have been better taking the whole car but it seems that its better to buy the parts at double the cost off ebay :confused:
So if I wanted, say an alternator, my options are to buy an alternator for £50 or buy a whole car for £200 that I have to collect, register in my name, SORN and have sitting on my drive.....if I had room.

Frankly I'd rather spend the £50.

Much love

Pub

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Also the cost of transporting a car that has no mot/tax can be more than what you pay for a spares/repair car. I want a project but I need to wait till something local turns up for the right money.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I was talking about the complete interior but ..........
I Have to agree that owning a 147 should be an absolute no no as they are fragile unreliable and to be honest shoulde be turned down if given away as they are just a fault waiting to happen with no residual value .
In short if you are thinking of buying one that has more than 50'000 miles on the clock that hasn't had a belt change every year and is in any way less than new car standard and costs more than £800 pounds with a new MOT and 6 mths tax walk away you're in for a big heap of trouble . You have been warned by the experts.......:tut:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Weigh it an and you get £150 even if you took the interior out to Ebay it (not that anyone appears to want those these days either!!)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Well to be honest if this is the general attitude to them its no wonder.
I used to pay more than that for Alfa suds that were rotting to bits and cost less than half the price new of the 147 20 years ago . That was when nobody wanted them .

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
The scrap value is high at the moment as steel is at a premium - it wasn't so many years ago that you had to pay them to take it away.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
I think your irony in post #11 was lost, Gibot.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate those comments guys!

My figure of £200 comes from the tank of fuel and the offer of £172.00 I have had from the local scrap-yard.

It has a valid MOT until December, and tax until the 31st.

My goal is to just put the offer there incase an enthusiast wanted a complete car.. I thought this was better than simply scrapping her - that would be a shame, she's been an absolute delight to drive at times! Never failed to put a smile on my face..

..and she has been used as a commuting vehicle, she took me and my family on holiday to Cenarth in S.Wales this year and never gave me one problem. It's a shame, but as I'm changing jobs, I have nowhere to keep her until I generate the funds to sort her. And we really need a larger family car, as I'm working in town now, I do not need a vehicle, and therefore can save for a 159SW, hopefully!

:)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Thankyou rgwm. I just find it a bit crazy.

Jimmybob I think your price is more than fair but have to admit that if the car is mot'd and has tax the buyer removes at their own risk you have shown due diligence and then its up to them.
If you were not so far away I would snap it up my self. :thumbs:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

FairPlay she is filthy, I will give her a clean! :) Also just started her up to find a break light and fog light out - it never ends ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts