Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its now nearly 3 years since I got my 159 SW with the 1.9 diesel engine. It had just 11000 miles on the clock but was suffering a little bit with 'hesitation' during acceleration, especially in the lower gears. I had it re-mapped and after reading some comments on these pages decided to put Shell V-Power, and nothing else, into the tank. Having just passed 50,000 I can honestly say it has been totally enjoyable, totally trouble free (tempting fate) driving!

But here's the problem. Filled up the other day and it is now priced at an eye-watering £1.499 per litre. So the question is, am I just being 'hood-winked' by Shell into believing the car runs better (smoother) on this premium fuel?

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Shell V Power has a smell that is suspiciously the same as Miller Echomax, from Halfords, which is what I use with regular Shell or Total fuel. I never buy fuel from a grocery shop.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I had problems with hesitation and rough idling so tried BG244 fuel additive to clean things out followed by only using V-Power. The engine is much improved and now I always use V-Power, noticeably better than supermarket fuel.

BTW, V-Power is 152.9p/l near me!!!!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Shell V Power has a smell that is suspiciously the same as Miller Echomax, from Halfords, which is what I use with regular Shell or Total fuel. I never buy fuel from a grocery shop.
hmmmm, i was thinking this the other day. I was filling with v-power and yes, smelt awfully similar to millers Ecomax :eek:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies! I've done a bit of research on the 'Millers' and will definately be giving that a go for a few tanks to see how I get on.

BTW, V-Power is 152.9p/l near me!!!!
Ouch!! There was a report on the radio the other suggesting Diesel will hit record highs by the end of Jan - hence my thinking on trying to get away from V-Power.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had awful problems with hesitation etc and tried no end of addititives, premium diesels etc. In the end nothing worked so had the car remapped. The car hasn't missed a beat since - and I only use 'grocery shop' diesel.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a 09 1.9 with 35K on and just put whatever is around at the time in. Tends to be Tescos or Sainsburies as where I live they are the big 2. I tend to sit mainly on Motorways and in the 2 and a half months I've had it done just over 4K. Happy with no hesitation and getting 630-680 from a tankfull.

Still all factory gubbins installed and what a lovely way to do a dull and mindless journey.

·
Registered
529 Posts
As a student I worked part-time in a petrol station often taking in deliveries of fuel. On numerous occasions the driver informed me that all the fuel for all outlets, including supermarkets, came from the same source, i.e. the unleaded you buy in Tesco will be form the same tank as the fuel you buy in BP. Occasionally they would even use unbranded tankers which would supply BP before returning to the refinery to collect a load for ASDA.

Of course, this may be different for premium diesels and petrols which the supermarkets don't stock but the standard fuels, I'm assured, are identical.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
As a student I worked part-time in a petrol station often taking in deliveries of fuel. On numerous occasions the driver informed me that all the fuel for all outlets, including supermarkets, came from the same source, i.e. the unleaded you buy in Tesco will be form the same tank as the fuel you buy in BP. Occasionally they would even use unbranded tankers which would supply BP before returning to the refinery to collect a load for ASDA.

Of course, this may be different for premium diesels and petrols which the supermarkets don't stock but the standard fuels, I'm assured, are identical.
Yes, this is exactly the same information I was given years ago, the only difference, or so I was told, was that when a delivery into, say, a Shell tanker there would be a package of additives would be put in, specific to that brand. Hence my suspicion on the V-Power/Millers smell.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes, this is exactly the same information I was given years ago, the only difference, or so I was told, was that when a delivery into, say, a Shell tanker there would be a package of additives would be put in, specific to that brand. Hence my suspicion on the V-Power/Millers smell.
The additive package is indeed the key to the difference between Tesco fuel and Shell fuel. V-Power however is delivered directly from Shell and will not be supplied to any other retailer.

The additive package is more than just smell. I'm not a petrochemical engineer but I'm confident they don't just add an industrial sized bottle of Millers to normal petrol!

A correctly tuned petrol engine (or one which can adjust it's own timing) can benefit the most from V-Power petrol and in my missus old JDM 300ZX, it was far more economical to use V-Power than normal unleaded due to the extra economy. I'd imagine modern diesels benefit in similar ways (via EFI adjustments).

Ian A.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My poor old 1.9 also gets it's diesel from Sainsburies. It's also been remapped at ahm, and I've never had a problem with it in the engine department. 61,000 now on the clock. Only problems were the common steering reservoir, and passenger door central locking failed, can't blame those on the fuel.

Is there any definitive scientific testing saying branded petrol is better than supermarkets? I don't mean internet forum guru's, but testing by a respected motoring body such as the AA, RAC, or well known motoring magazine? If not, I'll stay of the mind that its all in the mind.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The additive package is indeed the key to the difference between Tesco fuel and Shell fuel. V-Power however is delivered directly from Shell and will not be supplied to any other retailer.

The additive package is more than just smell. I'm not a petrochemical engineer but I'm confident they don't just add an industrial sized bottle of Millers to normal petrol!

A correctly tuned petrol engine (or one which can adjust it's own timing) can benefit the most from V-Power petrol and in my missus old JDM 300ZX, it was far more economical to use V-Power than normal unleaded due to the extra economy. I'd imagine modern diesels benefit in similar ways (via EFI adjustments).

Ian A.
Yes it is more than just a smell, but if millers uses 'X' chemicals for their package im sure other decent fuels use similar formulations.

And with regards to tuned petrol engines benifiting more, its only really reducing pinking etc. So the same goes for diesel with better fuel with higher cetane ratings (which millers raises)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes it is more than just a smell, but if millers uses 'X' chemicals for their package im sure other decent fuels use similar formulations.

And with regards to tuned petrol engines benifiting more, its only really reducing pinking etc. So the same goes for diesel with better fuel with higher cetane ratings (which millers raises)
By reducing/removing pinking, you can advance the ignition giving more power. My other car with clockwork ignition has been tuned to run on super-fuel and cannot run high-load on the regular stuff. Difference is several bhp.

Not sure exactly how it works with diesels though.

Tesco will also have an additive pack (which changes depending on the time of year). It's just that Shell/BP (and others) have a better additive pack than the supermarkets (going by personal experience and internet consensus). I'm not sure that Millers includes all the elements of the additive pack, although I could be wrong on this one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts