Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
Now then a simple one, I believe, is this question.
Shell Optimax is supposedly the highest Octane fuel available in thwe UK today.
Has anybody out there noticed whether it offers any real improvements in actual driving?

I run my 95 V6 on the stuff and it likes it lots. Also makes the exhaust smell nicer!

Any opinions?
Is other Super Unleaded as good? Better?

Or am I wasting an extra 4p a litre on Optimax?

Help!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mmm, this has been discussed at length here before with opposing opinions. General feeling is its better.

However, I can't really comment as I've never tried it. Costs about 10p a litre more round here and no local station within about 5 or 6 miles. :(

wrinx

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10p a litre more, bloody hell!

Next thing you'll be telling me is that you pay more than 72.9p a litre for regular or 76.9 for super!

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've used Optimax in my 1.8 16v ever since l bought it nearly 12 months ago.

The engine is much sweeter now than it was when l first got it,previous owner used supermarket petrol.

Mind you it also helps that l had the car serviced as it had not been done for over 12 months!

How can anyone neglect an Alfa? :confused:

------------------
Ian H

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neglected Alfas are always horribly expensive to sort. When I bought mine it needed 4 new tyres.The old boy who owned it before had thumped the tracking well out (about 7degrees) The inner edges of both front tyres were shot, so he swapped front to back and sold the car when the new fronts were bald.

No sense. a £25 4 wheel laser track would have sorted the problem easily. For some there is no hope!

Also, recently put a new thermostat on the car (cheers for thay one Jimybob). When I took the old housing off it didn't have a ruddy thermostat in at all! No wonder you could thrash the living daylights out of it and still get no hot air in the cabin.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Andy, actually I think the 10p extra is for Super not Optimax but I'll check at next fill up............which won't be long with a V6 eek!

wrinx

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have started using Optimax after reading an old article in EVO magazine. Before and after photos of engine valves seemed to suggest a improvement, ie cleaner valves, better mixture flow etc. Hardly noticed any difference in driving terms, will use optimax for approx 2000 miles after which I will revert back to the normal stuff. Over a tank full works out at £3 more.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pat, they are gradually introducing it to Scotland. We got it around July, Your nearest Shell station should be able to tell you when they are getting it.

Marlon

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried 3 tanks of it, engine seemed to run smoother, but fuel economy went down by 2 to 3 mpg per gallon (I was getting 35mpg on supermarket 95 ron).

Any fuel with a higher octane should give smoother running I suppose, as it has a better balance. I did see an article about how to make your own octane boost on www.racecar.com. Interesting, but get it wrong and you might blow everything up......

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hello,

i use 95 and octane booster 95% of the time. The other 5, when i am poor, i use 91 with no booster, and i feel a BIG diffrence.

Nicholas

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've tried it in my 93 V6 with 67k miles on it.

Seemed to be smoother. I haven't used it for a while and the car does seem to run a bit lumpy at the moment.

I'll give it another try and post results.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tim Hayes:
I tried 3 tanks of it, engine seemed to run smoother, but fuel economy went down by 2 to 3 mpg per gallon (I was getting 35mpg on supermarket 95 ron).
Tim, I noticed the same as you with my Silverstone, but I dropped about 4 or 5mpg eek!
Maybe it's 'cos I now rev the hell out of the engine though..........

Marlon

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have stopped using Optimax and reverted back to normal unleaded. The engine and exhaust now sound quieter than the loud "BWOOAAAR" I used to get.

Incidently, I still have my Squadra chip in the car and the performance hasn't suffered to the extent that I notice any difference.

Oh yeah, the popping in my exhaust has almost dissapeared as well. (it dissapeared completely when I put the original chip back in the car for a couple of days).

So after all the good things I said about Optimax, I think it may only make a huge difference if your car isn't running properly. Most of the improvements to my cars running have been after I've changed bits like plugs and leads.

I know this has been discussed in another thread, but I can't hear any knocking or pinging using normal unleaded with my Squadra, but I hope I'm not doing any damage.

Marlon

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found this. Some Ned talking about octane boosters. I think I'm gonna buy a 1.2 litre Max Powered Nova.................

Marlon

"This stuff is **** hot !!!!! Go out now and buy some!!!!!!! I have a 1.2 Nova,I put the required amount in the tank and it took my car off the speedo. I timed it and I got 0-60 in 8.5 seconds! I thought I would take the test. I went down to Southampton with a few mates and challenged a Cossie; I lost but that ain`t the point. I would say I got at least 150 mph!"

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok AndyMac

I have tried Optimax again and the car (93 V6)is definately running smoother.

It tended to run a bit lumpy from cold but this has now gone.

Maybe we should try some of that booster that Marlon's post went on about. Don't you just hate kids in Novas!!! Oh well some of us have brains then there are Vauxhall drivers! wink

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shell Optimax rules the world of petrol. End of discussion!

Just filled the mighty V6 with Jet Premium from damn nearly empty and the performance fell through the floor. Not as nice a noise, less power and less pull. Not a happy chappie.Back to shell next time. Seems to be doing better mpg though. Probably due to not applying as much right foot out of pure disappointment at the shite noise from the exhaust.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts