Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Wondered if any of you have tried Shell Optimax petrol. I've been experimenting with this fuel on and off over the last month or so, and have come to the conclusion that my V6 definately runs better on it. The last fill up was with Optimax, and the acceleration feels smoother, and throttle response is better than with JET or Esso petrol for example.
Has anyone else noticed this, or am I imagining it :rolleyes:

Mark :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been running it for a few months now. I think my car is better for it. You have to use it constantly to get the best results though as the ECU "learns" to use the extra octane and sets the engine up accordingly.

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's probably right. Opti' has a higher Octane rating or something and in CAR magazine tests (I think) they saw that in most of their test case cars, running on Optimax did leave the valves cleaner.

They concluded that it'd be worth running a few tanks of Optimax once in a while to keep carbon and other deposits down.

Ralf S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Admit I was sceptical about Optimax when I saw the advertising campaign, but then spotted that they were giving out free top-trumps card one day as a promotion, so I filled up with the stuff (my shallowness was 'rewarded' when I got two Skoda octavia cards in the same pack though - doh!). I think it's good stuff - the first time I used it I was on a long journey, and it really did seem to make a difference in my twinspark. Smoother running, and it felt like a tiny bit more power from lower revs.

Problem is I don't really live near a Shell station - I have to do an 8 mile round trip to fill up, so I don't usually bother!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After trying the stuff i dont use anything else, smoother pulls harder, actually makes more difference to the wifes MX5

·
Registered
41 Posts
Got to agree, pulls smoother and harder. I'm also getting about another 25miles to the tank on average.

Hugh.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ran the optimax for a while and have to agree that it is better than normal unleaded.

However mine does feel more responsive on super unleaded than on optimax.

Has anyone else found the same?

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mentioned using Optimax in an earlier posting. Since then I'v found that regular Super Unleaded is just as good in 8v, 16v, and V6 155's as well as 8 & 16v 33's.
The best test was in my Audi 80 16v avant which I use for towing. I always used the regular unleaded and found that when I was towing I was getting a kind of "pinking" at lower/slower revs. I did all the usual gubbins of checking the fuel lines/filter/ changing the leads/plugs etc and all of these had no results when towing. So I dropped a full tank of Optimax in and hey presto it was driving superbly. I now fill up with only Super or Optimax wherever possible.Iv recomended Super octane to many people/customers/friends etc now but always get the same complaint about its cost. In my oppinion Super unleaded is the best " modification" you can make for better performance and driveability..............Sure beats Induction filters !!!

Oh and "NO I DON'T WORK FOR SHELL !!!!"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One last thing about Super/Optimax.
I'm getting more MPG on these fuels compared to regular unleaded, weather this is down to the improved driveability at low revs or the more efficient burning of super I do not know, but I do get more miles....
Kind of out ways the cost arguement compared to regular unleaded ???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Guys
Does anyone know the octane rating of Shells 4 star.
The reason i ask is i nearly ran out of petrol looking for optimax,couldn,t find a station with super unleaded(cause of chip).I think it would be ok to use since the car is decatted.Talking of which it,s mot time tomorrow we,ll see if it passes with out the cat.

Regards
Shug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shug, don't know if you can use 4 star as I think it'll knacker the lambda probe. I think it's about 98 ron though.

I think if I get stuck like that, I'll put a gallon of normal in just to keep me moving. Shouldn't do any harm if it's just for a short time. Wouldn't boot it though.

Good luck with the MOT

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
4 star lrp is based on super unleaded so reckon on 97 ron +, the non lead additives can boost the octane rating.
Optimax is apparantly around 98.5 ron.
Proper 4 star I hear is averaging about 99 ron. eek!

Ian.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts