Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Finally managed to put a tank of Shell Optimax in my 145QV on Monday. So far I've been pretty impressed. She seems to pull better from low revs and certainly pulls harder higher up the range :D

Shame it's a bit more expensive and there are not more Shell stations around Oxford.

Has anyone else used this and how have you found it. Is it worth the cost in the long run?

Cheers

·
Registered
76 Posts
Chris I tried Optimax in mine and yes it seemed to pull better from low revs but seemed to loose that top end pull that you get when you pass 6000. The one that I prefer is the BP super as seems to really fly with this in.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I also get a few more miles per gallon. Whether this is enough to justify the extra money to fill up, I'm not sure. But it definately is smoother at low revs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I use this too, because mines been chipped etc. However, its not all a state of mind, because I have found that Optimax appears to cure Carb icing!

This may not seem relevant but bear with me....

My experience from this is motorcycles that still run with carbs instead of injection. When the outside temperature drops they often suffer from carb icing, where the bike will start to fuel badly. This is generally down to poor quality fuel. When you use optimax this problem go's away!! Believe me if youve ever suffered from carb icing, a fuel that stops it is an absolute dream!

Therefore proving that Optimax is worth using, if you want to know a good fuel is running through your car! That my theory anyway!

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's the dogs danglies. 82.9 per litre compared to 75.9 for the normal stuff but what price a smile?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have been using Optimax almost exclusively now for 1 year. I can't remember what it runs like with 95 RON now but I remember I noticed a small difference in smoothness and throttle response when I made the switch. You do need to give it a few tank fulls to allow the ECU to adapt before you will see any benefits.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
I ran my 145QV on Optimax exclusively for about four months when it first came available and at first I found an improvement. But then when I went back to regular Shell, there was no reduction in performance.
I suspect the initial improvement was just it cleaning out the fuel system etc....
I don't bother with it now, and save a couple of quid each time, and it also saves the stress of looking out for Shell garages!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
In Romania the Optimax is not available but i use Shell V-RACING 99+

Anyone tried it? Schumi did :D

All the best

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
SHELL PURA (optimax) is to ordinary petrol what Malt whiskey is to blended whiskey.... :D

·
Administrator
47,104 Posts
What high octane petrol is to low....Nah, that's a crap simile isn't it? :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
47,104 Posts
What Alfa's are to Fords?

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
what bottoms are to knees....... wink

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> What Breasts are to Feet <hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What a carrot is to a donkey...

·
Administrator
47,104 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Jamie and the magic torch:
<strong>What Breasts are to Feet</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Depends on your preferences I suppose, but I'm definitely with you on this one. Except, I don't think optimax is quite this much better than normal.

·
Administrator
47,104 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ajcarter:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> What Breasts are to Feet <hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What a carrot is to a donkey...</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Eh? :confused:
So you're saying that a carrot is like a donkey, but better?
Fair enough I suppose, whatever floats your boat... :D

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
No, no!! The carrot always hangs infront of the donkey, motivating it to walk forward to get it, but he never can. I was thinking when walking behind a pair of breasts, they make you keep up yet you can never touch them. You see now?

It's going even more off topic than we were already on with the off-topic.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What Breasts are to Feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a carrot is to a donkey...

Eh?
So you're saying that a carrot is like a donkey, but better?
Fair enough I suppose, whatever floats your boat...

<hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Take it you prefer the donkey?!

·
Administrator
47,104 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ajcarter:
<strong>No, no!! The carrot always hangs infront of the donkey, motivating it to walk forward to get it, but he never can. I was thinking when walking behind a pair of breasts, they make you keep up yet you can never touch them. You see now?

It's going even more off topic than we were already on with the off-topic.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh right. I get you. Same kind of idea, different approach. Don't know about the never touch bit though. Depends on whether it bothers you gettign slapped all the time. I'm trying to build up an immunity wink

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Depends on whether it bothers you gettign slapped all the time. I'm trying to build up an immunity <hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Or..it would be easier not to **** people off, then they would not have a need to slap you! wink

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You need some head armour, how about a face mask:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts