Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a long term user of 97 octane fuel just thought I'd mention that Shell have just uprated their premium grade unleaded defying the downward trend, to 98 octane again.

Sorry for sounding like their top marketing man but this is what I was told by the cashier today and he also gave me a rather nice chrome keyring free as well it even weighs about 2 tonnes to boot! :D

Thought it may be useful for those running chipped Alfa's who require top quality along with what I believe would be the highest available octane now available (UK).

Apparently they have had input from Ferrari during its development to, so it can't be to bad not quite in Alfa's league but nearly up there!

Alfisti Regards

MAK

164 Super

100% FREE OF BMW PARTS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Mak,

Good news!
Well if it's good enough for J. Clarkson, it's good enough for us right!(?) :D

I think Shell might see an influx of Italian cars on their forecourts!

BTW Mak, i've mailed Ian (or was it stewart?)
at Alfasalv about the Squadra chip but so far had no reply, and it's over a week now.
I think i remember you saying you were getting one, any luck?

Regards,

A.H

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Alex,

Nuh if it's good enough for us its good enough for Clarkson I suppose :D

As for the Squadra chip from Ian, doesn't surprise me that you havn't heard he never seems to get enough time as regards e-mail, he's apologised to me before when I've sent him them!

His telephone number in case you havn't got it is 07974 828405.

I havn't ordered mine yet as I'm in the process of having the wheels restored, then their are new GY F1-S 205/15's at the same time ouch...but it's on the list! The only thing that would sway me is the 155 I've seen for sale I'm toying over at present!

Regards MAK

164 Super

100% FREE OF BMW PARTS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi AO,

Never heard of it? Well in Holland which has the highest sales of Alfa outside Italy in the world (another bit of useless info from MAK) :D They have a cult following as regards chip tuning and Alfa's, the chap who designs them only does Alfa's.

I have spoken to him several times via e-mail and I know that he is the BOY!!!!!

Check this site which slightly recommends them it's wicked and some of these guys know their 155's supertuned!!
http://drive.to/artc

Just a pity Henry doesn't have access to a Squarda it would be interesting to know the difference in relation to the superchip that he is running and getting 172bhp with!

Best regards MAK

164 Super

100% FREE OF BMW PARTS

·
Registered
550 Posts
HI ALFAOWNER, TAKE NOTE OF THE BEST CHIP TO ALFA IN THE WORLD:
squadra-tuning.com
TALK WITH STEPHAN LENOIR
REGARDS ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Going back to Mak's initial posting, do you actually mean Optimax Premium Unleaded is 98 RON or do you mean their SUPER Unleaded. Generally, Premium Unleaded (which confusingly ISN'T the Premium, Super is)is 95 RON. Isn't it confusing? If you do use higher octane than 95, what are the benefits (and does it upset the timing? ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for any confusion clive, The premium grade unleaded in its correct context at Shell is the new Optimax.

As regards benefits the higher octane fuel is supposed to have a better explosion/burn when ignited thus increasing performance but this is negligible in my experience.

The most important reason for using the fuel according to the Squadra chip designer is that higher octane fuels have cleaning additives added and is also a lot cleaner better quality petrol which is why I use it myself. Oh and it shoudn't matter about the timing either.

Hope this clears it up 'ish'

MAK

164 Super

100% FREE OF BMW PARTS

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Guys
Well, here in DK Shell marked their Ferrari fuel as V-Power. But I don't see why especially Italian car should cue for 98-octane. The highest grade sold in Italy now is 95-octane which all Italian cars have been designed for for years.
As for chip tuned cars (any make) it might be an idea if the chips is mapped for it (like I understand the Squadra is). But consider, 98-octane is becoming scarce as more and more filling stations across Europe drop it (due to MTPO (or something like that) pollution). I’ve just had my 2,0 16v UniChip’ed and mapped for 95-octane – result, an unbelievable 186 HP – I’ll give you a report soon. :D
Alfisti regards
Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Elp,

You got that result just from the chip?

An increase of around 30 bhp, effing hell! :eek:
That is unbelievable!

Regards,

A.H

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Erik,

One can only speak from experience of the UK and 97/98 RON is very easily obtainable :D . Furthermore Squadra state that it must be used with their ignition remapping.

As for a at least a 36 bhp increase (as most are never producing manufacturer figures anyhow) is this just the remapping or do you have exhaust/induction etc etc fitted aswell?

Forgive me if I'm sceptical but if this is a rolling road reading I would take it elswhere for a second opinion!

Look forward to the details including the tuning company who make it and if it is a true reading I think the UK credit spending might go up a bit with a surge of Alfisti Credit card use :D :D :D

Warm regards MAK

164 Super (soon to be +30bhp)

100% FREE OF BMW PARTS

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Alex and Makaveli
Well it’s true :D but the pre test showed 163 HP – and I was sceptical myself.
I asked how the Dastek (same producer as the Uni Chip) Dynamometer calculate the figures and was told that first the car is accelerated in fourth from 1500 to 7000 RMP, declutched but kept in fourth let to loose speed by it self. That way the dynamometer calculates the power loss in transmission and tyres and present figures and curves. I then asked if these above standard figures was the norm but was told that below is more normal and they had never seen a standard Alfa engine so much over standard figures. The facility of the dynamometer to make the calculation is new. On the fitters Web www.tsmotor.com (agents for Dastek in Scandinavia) a selection of test sheets can be found but it states that the figures has to be multiplied with 1,25 to compensate for friction losses.
I guess I’m just the lucky guy – the engine is completely standard, standard exhaust and cat and has done 126k km (79k miles). The first owner is – like myself – a man in his fifties and it have never done lots of short journeys, its been regularly serviced but the variator has been in since 60k km (38k) miles. I times acceleration in the gears from 2000 – 5000 RPM before and after and the gain is 10 – 25% depending on gear.
If you like to see the power charts mail me and I send or fax them. Unfortunately, I can’t attach them to the Forum.
Alfisti regards
Erik

1 - 12 of 12 Posts