Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried any of the so called 'Super' fuel petrols in their Alfa?
I've tried one of the diesels in a JTS Stilo i used to have, but was well unimpressed by the drop in performance. I also tried one of the petrol (BP's I think) in my old 1.6 Multipla, but thought that is caused, or added to, pinking. I've also heard tell that a lot of the performance motorbike folk say not to use them as it causes the valves to get sticky. But I'm sure they must have made the stuff for a reason (or is it just profit mongering??! :eek: )? I really don't want to fill up with the stuff if it's no good for everyone except Schummy. :lol:

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Can't say I have ever noticed more grunt using higher octane fuel, but definitely get more MPG, so that makes them worth using cos they work out cheaper per mile.

I think a lot of it is down to your engine; high specific horsepower stuff like EVO's or S2000's specify Optimax or similar in the manual, but less highly strung engines just don't seem to notice.

G

·
Dfens said:
Can't say I have ever noticed more grunt using higher octane fuel, but definitely get more MPG, so that makes them worth using cos they work out cheaper per mile.

I think a lot of it is down to your engine; high specific horsepower stuff like EVO's or S2000's specify Optimax or similar in the manual, but less highly strung engines just don't seem to notice.

It's better fuel and also helps clean your engine, I used it all the time when I had my scoob as the ecu would adjust to it and give you that bit more power. So yes use it in your alfa, but it wont make you go quicker, I stick it in about every 3rd tank full as a treat:)

You can use it in older car's as well but you need to change your timing and then use it all the time.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
anyone know if the 2.0 JTS engine has knock sensors? apparently this helps the ecu adapt to the higher octane fuel? i used shell optimax for about 3 months solid and fuel economy was definitely up by about 5% although it costs about 5% more so no saving overall. i'm thinking of going back to it, apparently tesco are rolling out 99RON nationwide after successful trials so i can still get my clubcard points...

·
Registered
607 Posts
The JTS does, being direct injection and all it is more suceptible so they are a prerequisite! :D

G

·
:) My GTV shows a significant difference in driveability when using different fuels,basically I have to run the thing on Optimax as it pinks and cuts out if 95 RON is used..........:(

:confused: Given the above I suspect it may have been chipped by a previous owner,though I'm not inclined to remove the ECU to find out.......just have to keep using Optimax,I can get 375 miles from a full tank though - which seems pretty good to me.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I seem to get a small but noticeable advantage in performance and economy with most Super Unleaded. Only Tesco 99 RON feels much swifter, and interestingly I'm just back from Le Mans and French 98 RON feels like rocket fuel and made the V6 much bassier-sounding, yet economy was poor. I'm wondering if this is due in each case to a high bio-ethanol content? Doesn anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Fraser said:
Tried both the Optimax and the Ultimate in the 166. The Optimax was good but I noticed no difference whatsoever with the Ultimate. Try a couple of tankfuls and see what you think.
Agree with Fraser here, BP Ultimate seems to make no difference to performance, whereas Optimax seems to improve performance and definitely improves economy. I tend to use Optimax all the time, although where I live makes it easier as we seem to be overun with Shell stations !!

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diseasel (2011)
26,192 Posts
Dfens said:

I'm experiencing better mpg with the ron98 fuels over ron95. Don't know about the different additives though.

Cheers,
Al

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
GTS said:
Agree with Fraser here, BP Ultimate seems to make no difference to performance, whereas Optimax seems to improve performance and definitely improves economy. I tend to use Optimax all the time, although where I live makes it easier as we seem to be overun with Shell stations !!
Me too, I suspect it's due to the additives in the Optimax as I doubt the car has knock sensors to take advantage of the higher octane rating of the other fuels.

G

·
I have run optimax and Ultimate in a GTV 2.0ts the optimax is better in performace and economy. Just breaking in a 3.0v6 seems to be running better as this is the fourth tankful.

·
Premium Member
13,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:) Thanks for all that. I think I'll give Shell optimax a go on the next fill. There's a Shell garage handy. Then the BP stuff, also handy. My nearest TESCO (as far as I'm aware) is about 16 miles away, so not so handy, although I do pass it every couple of months, so may try that one at a later date. I'll try and keep a note of what I find and post my results at a later date.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
GTS said:
It's the opposite here. There are very few Shell stations in NI and plenty of BP.

I've only been using Ultimate since I got the car but I might try 95 and see if there's any difference. I'm also heading over to the mainland next week so I might see if I can try a few tankfuls of Optimax.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have noticed engines respond differenty even though the same type. My TS Spider feels a bit more lively on Optimax against Tesco standard, but my buttdyno can not detect any difference in the Sportwagon TS, so I only put it in the Spider. If you run a chiped car you will notice the difference. My old Skoda did 218 bhp on standard 95ron, and 236bhp on Optimax, that is on a calibrated RR.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts