Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think i get better fuel economy on optimax, am i living in a pipe dream? FYI its 85.9p over the standard 79.9p in my garage.

G

·
Yes, I think you are currently a long way up a pipe! :D Whenever I use Optimax (which I do occasionally), the car does run better/smoother, but my consumption goes up, I'm pretty sure of that. Whether it's because I'm driving faster, I don't know :rolleyes: :lol:

·
Registered
989 Posts
i dont get any better fuel consumption, or felt that performance has been enhanced in anyway. hope its doing good for the engine looking at the price they want for it. :(

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
IMHO and in my experience,

Optimax is only worth looking at after a remap. The old 1.8 and the GTA both in
their standard guise did not take well to shell optislurp or BP ultimite.. reduced
economy and performance.

After I had an autodelta remap (aimed @ 98 ron) things got a lot better on these
fuels in the 1.8. Primarily the standard map is aimed @ fairly low quality fuel and the
tweaked map is needed to get the best out of the fuels.

GIven the cost of the map and the gains on a Normally aspirated engine and the
cost of the premium fuel, unless you want something else from the map (for example
I would like the pickup brought lower on the GTA) not worth it at all....

given the cost differential 6p a litre = £3 a tank i.e £10 every 1000 miles or £120
each service I'd rather pay for an engine flush and pocket the change...

Simon.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I did comment on another thread that Shell had to drop their advert for Shell Optimax as it couldn't be proved that all cars would get better performance. Mind you I am tempted to use the best quality petrol whenever I can., and it was Shell ordinaire I filled up with tonight. Curious to see what a remap might do for a 2.0TS anybody got an idea?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Steve,

would definately agree with you about petrol quality....

Never never will a supermarket pump cross the petrol cap on any car I
or my family own. Even on the wifes old micra (1.0 16V) the difference after I
stoppped her filling up with supermarket was noticable after a few weeks.

The RON rating is something else altogether....

The based on my 1.8 experience the autodelta map wil give you about 10-
12bhp, better takeup and a sharper throttle response. It tweaks the fly by
wire throttle and the change point in the cam profile. Noticable but not
significant. I'd suggest the V6 induction mod as a by far more cost effective
way of getting results.

Simon,

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Simon you mentioned that you had a remap done . Did you find it made a great difference? What (briefly) were your reasons for having it done
I know it's slightly off thread ;)
Will it improve the low down jerkiness in 1st/2nd gear that I sometimes notice?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Steve,

The remap was part of a sequence of mods - induction,map and exhaust to try to get some more from the car... ended up spending 1K, and was soon looking for more - started talking to Jano @ autodelta about a supercharger kit, cams etc.... it was getting economically very silly (5K+). my 1.8 was the original series engine (144bhp as opposed to the 140's they started shipping in 01) ...

ended up doing the sensible thing and buying a ex demo GTA...

Would have a remap done on a diesel/turbo like a shot .... been thinking about a detuned (95 ron) map from angel for the GTA but not convinced it's worth 325.
I wont go the whole hog as I can;t get 98 on my fuel card...

As for the jerkiness in 1st/2nd is assume it's that quiet spot around 2-3K, yes the remap got rid of it for me but I had the induction as well, switftly followed by the exhaust....

if you decide to go for one your best bet is to speak to some people who can let you try it and refund it if you don't like it, as it's a personal thing.

SImon.

SImon.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
See what you mean Simon, I think you did right. I've always been curious as to remaps but the most I've ever done in my motoring career is to add some "go faster stickers" sad eh!
I'll bear that comment about jerkiness in mind , a reasonable layout is OK by me .

·
Registered
246 Posts
Steve20 said:
See what you mean Simon, I think you did right. I've always been curious as to remaps but the most I've ever done in my motoring career is to add some "go faster stickers" sad eh!
I'll bear that comment about jerkiness in mind , a reasonable layout is OK by me .
Hi Simon, any anyone else, we offer a full refund as you know, so if you want to try it out for a couple of weeks just ask. Just give us time to get to you!
Nige
Angel Tuning

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Does not worry me either way..normal choice is 91 RON or 98 RON ...so you can guess the one I am more likely to use ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Steve20 said:
Simon you mentioned that you had a remap done . Did you find it made a great difference? What (briefly) were your reasons for having it done
I know it's slightly off thread ;)
Will it improve the low down jerkiness in 1st/2nd gear that I sometimes notice?
Steve,
I had the Autodelta remap done on my 2.0 Selespeed (156). The throttle response is now better, and the car is more lively under 3000rpm, but there is still a noticeable 'on-cam' increment at 3,000. Performance over 3,000 doesn't feel much different following the remap though.

The 1st/2nd gear jerkiness you refer to may be what I call 'throttle off-throttle on hesitancy'. I'm pretty sure this is caused by the fuel being cut off on the overrun. When fuel flow is reinstated (ie by light re-application of the throttle), you feel the jerkiness. It's a real problem on Selespeeds in slow traffic, because you have no control of the clutch to smooth things out. If I remember correctly, Autodelta claim that a remap can fix this, but unfortunately it didn't on mine. My car has the pre-phase 3 engine which has 155bhp. (Phase 3 came in late summer of 2000). The 150bhp Phase3 engine is a bit torquier, but not quite as 'revvy', and it doesn't seem to suffer quite so much from the hesitancy problem.

Regarding Optimax, I record my fuel consumption at every fill-up, and I've found no difference over 95 RON. I'm pretty sure there's no performance gain either (even after the remap). So, I'm not an Optimax convert. Other people seem to feel the benefit though, so it's probably worth a try. Local fuels Rix and WCF seem to suit my car well.
Geoff.

·
Registered
161 Posts
After logging every tank of petrol in my 1999 1.8TS (144hp) over four years and 45,000 miles, my findings were that Optimax improved fuel consumption on a mortorway run by about 8% - and as it only cost 6% extra, it was a net gain.
It also alleviated some "hesitance" and "unevenness that used to come in after using many tanks of "ordinary" Morrissons petrol - so I assume that the additives were doing some good cleaning the engine too.

Except - that Optimax made absolutely no difference around town - so the extra cost was wasted.

I therefore had to make a judgement call every time I filled the tank regarding what sort of driving I was expecting to do!

Over the first 6,000 miles in my JTS, I've tried Optimax a few times, but cannot detect any difference in fuel consumption, so I've stopped using it..... I'm back to "ordinary" 95RON Shell.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Just like to say thanks for the replies regarding your impressions of remaps I am definately going to give it a try
Seems a few of you have opted for the Autodelta version I presume thats because they are near you? I also note Alfanige's reply plenty of choice then.

·
Registered
197 Posts
No I'm not very close to Autodelta (400 mile round trip from York)! Boss Jano was amazed I'd travelled that distance (but I combined it with a trip to the Italian Weekend at Goodwood).

Autodelta claim that they spent many months developing their remap. Also on the Phase2 engine, not many other people are able to do it anyway.

So Autodelta seem to be knowledgeable, but I'm sure other remappers are good too. Angel Tuning are very helpful guys, and if they can't do something, they say so - rather than try to bull!!!! you.
Geoff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts