Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ten visits to shell station. Well over £100 spent on fuel. What do I get from the loyalty scheme?
A packet of wine gums and £1 off my next fuel purchase.
Whoopee ****in do!!! I'd rather **** in the tank.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a Giulietta thing?
Probably not I'm just venting to anyone! Thanks for listening.

How about I rephrase the question; Will my giulietta explode if I put supermarket fuel in it? What money saving tips do others use?

I recon I'll have plenty of spare cash for wine gums and a scratch card if I don't use shell for my next ten fill ups.

Don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting a blowie or a magnum of champagne but £1 is not a worthwhile reward scheme when shell is up to 3p a litre more around me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Something may be wrong with your account/scan as I don't quite spend that a week and get a lot more than that back in Go+ financial rewards. You'll also get a lot more miles to a tank with Shell over most supermarket stuff so worth sticking with them.

·
Registered
32,047 Posts
I’m still getting used to the fuel flap being on the other side of the Stelvio from the Giulietta. I’d got used to it being on the drivers side.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I use only V-Power in our cars and I seem to get £2.40 off every second fill up. Mind you, they never restrict the actual volume of fuel dispensed. You could fill my 159's 70 litre tank, for example, over three days instead of one big fill and register three fills towards your total.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The bit of the Shell go+ scheme that I find baffling is the pay and go system. You have to select an amount you want to spend before you fill up, lets say £80. If you only put £71 in your tank they still take £80 but then refund you the difference which can take up to 7 days. So shell now have £9 of your money earning them interest for 7 days and you dont. I cant believe anyone is actually using this payment method.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Ten visits to shell station. Well over £100 spent on fuel. What do I get from the loyalty scheme?
A packet of wine gums and £1 off my next fuel purchase.
Whoopee ****in do!!! I'd rather **** in the tank.

If that really is the reward it is much different than the previous scheme. The old scheme was 1 point per complete litre bought; 500 points gave a £2.50. Hence at todays prices you would spend £650 to get £2.50 back.

If you only spent well over £100 in ten fills are they in fact saying after ten fills we will give you 1% of the accumulated spend to the rounded down whole £ and the balance in wine gums. Clearly you were playing the system. My average fill is about £50-£60 but it is going to take for ever to get to ten visits as we don't have a Shell station nearer than 30miles away.

·
Super Moderator
44,766 Posts
What isn't clear to me is if the size of the reward is adjusted depending on how much each of your ten fills was? If not, then the obvious way to make the most of it is to only put ten litres in each time you fill-up.

Unfortunately, with my car, than would mean visiting Shell on every journey. Or perhaps just going roudn the roundabout and straight back into the station after each fill.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
I fell for the eco cars they are selling and the sugar cane track, hours of fun for me and the little one, brings me back to scalextrics days

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If that really is the reward it is much different than the previous scheme. The old scheme was 1 point per complete litre bought; 500 points gave a £2.50. Hence at todays prices you would spend £650 to get £2.50 back.

If you only spent well over £100 in ten fills are they in fact saying after ten fills we will give you 1% of the accumulated spend to the rounded down whole £ and the balance in wine gums. Clearly you were playing the system. My average fill is about £50-£60 but it is going to take for ever to get to ten visits as we don't have a Shell station nearer than 30miles away.
I normally fill £50 or more but was keen to see what the reward was so filled just over £10 pretty much every other day. I bought way too many sausage rolls as well.
I'll still buy shell because I pass 3 shell stations on my long commute but I think I'll give the rewards scheme a miss as the savings are insulting.
Has anyone tried go+ with the ultra diesel? Are the savings any better because I do seem to get a little better mpg with the stuff but not so much as it currently cancels out it's additional outlay?

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
They do not say anywhere in the promotional literature what the reward is. That is why I suspect it is related to the accumulated spend.

It would be interesting to know how much others (ie Stroudy see post4 above) have spent over ten visits and what reward you get. I do know the promotional details encourage you to use VPower as they say they give £3 off every 300 litres bought which doesn't seem dependent on ten visits (I would normally get there in 7). 1p per litre I don't think is enough to alter the economics of higher cost and higher mpg still not bettering standard fuel at the lower cost and lower mpg so I haven't tried it.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
I usually fill 15 quid a time, I don't do many miles a week, in the past few months I've had a chocolate bar, and about £3.50 off fuel, with also £150 of fills for the misses car, I'm pretty sure the rewards are now skewed to visits, I hate all rewards cards tesco, nectar you name it, but it's a cheap marketing gimmick which a lot of people go for psychologically, obviously we Alfa owners are a far more advanced breed of consumer,

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
Something may be wrong with your account/scan as I don't quite spend that a week and get a lot more than that back in Go+ financial rewards. You'll also get a lot more miles to a tank with Shell over most supermarket stuff so worth sticking with them.
Is there any scientific basis to this claim?

(I assume you don't work for or have shares in Shell? ;) )

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not totally scientific but I did a comparison a few years back with my 147. Diesel pre-DPF. I was going to do the same with the Giulietta but the DPF regen skewed the results.

Now I've gone petrol and I don't do the same long repetitive journeys.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-andamp-gt/282917-comparing-fuels-while-bored.html
Yeah agree it's hard to do a tank for tank comparison with the dpf because the regens are so random. One thing I'll say for shell stations around me though is they always look well kept and they sell booze.

·
Registered
11,041 Posts

Is there any scientific basis to this claim?

(I assume you don't work for or have shares in Shell? ;) )
Not totally scientific but I did a comparison a few years back with my 147. Diesel pre-DPF. I was going to do the same with the Giulietta but the DPF regen skewed the results.

Now I've gone petrol and I don't do the same long repetitive journeys.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-andamp-gt/282917-comparing-fuels-while-bored.html
Yeah agree it's hard to do a tank for tank comparison with the dpf because the regens are so random. One thing I'll say for shell stations around me though is they always look well kept and they sell booze.
As Stroudy has "Giulietta QV LE 558" as his sig, I assumed he was talking petrol not diesel? Don't tell me the QV is a diesel :eek:

·
Registered
335 Posts
It would be logical that there would be a better result with DPF as the cleaner burn with Vpower would also mean fewer regens.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts