Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that when I use Shell Fuelsave diesel the engine clatter is noticeably louder than when running on BP or Esso regular diesel.

Has anyone else noticed this?

The performance seems the same.

You would think that all branded fuels would be the same, but there is obviously some difference.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I believe I get less miles from fuelsave, which is the cheapest shell you can get here (typically the cheapest fuel in the region or at the same price level).

My car by far prefers Gulf diesel, least amount of regens, most miles per gallon. and it's one of the cheaper suppliers aswell.

Gulf operates it's own tankers over here, fuel seems to come from the US...

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I am getting pretty similar MPG to any other Diesel, but I do stick to branded fuel. Normally Esso or BP, but I do fill with Shell occasionally.

Price wise it is about the same as the regular fuels from other filling stations. I have also tried V-power and the engine was quite noisy on that as well and MPG wasn't improved.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
last batch of v-power was indeed noisy... strange as I never had that before. Lower mpg aswell compared to what I'm used to getting. I usually get v-power when I'm abroad, but stick to the Gulf at home.

Before these last 2 tanks, v-power was my favourite, but I'm sticking to the Gulf even more religiously now. Quiet, good mileage, high regen mileage, and fairly cheap... what's not to like?

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a Gulf filling station around 6 miles from here. The problem is that it is off of my usual route.

The Esso regular seems to work ok, and the car seems to like it so I think I will carry on using that.

The only problem is that the filling station has a large tesco grocery store, and I hate queuing up for fuel behind people doing their weekly shop. :furious:

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I don't know how Gulf operates in the UK, so your mileage may vary :)

over here, the Gulf brand is owned by Demarol NV.

Gulf offers a VERY interesting engine oil, but I can't find it here. Demarol is not distributing Gulf oils, only fuels.

Gulf formula GMX 5w30 is on my shortlist, GVX is also interesting if you want midsaps. the GMX seems to be VII free, the GVX usesvery little. This leads to very litte chance of deposit formation.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I find I get quieter and smoother operation when running on BP fuels, especially the ultimate. Tend to stay away from Shell for the reasons above.

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
I have only used V-Power Diesel in mine. It has never had anything else in it! At the moment its 118.9, so its a bit cheaper than BP ultimate. Oddly, I find it runs quieter on v-power compared to when I had my 2.0JTDm and ran that on a range of fuels. I thought it was supposed to be quieter because it burns slower on the fire stroke, more controlled than regular diesel, but hey! every day is a school day!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
well, naurally higher cetane fuel burns faster really. And starts to burn faster aswell. if you add cetane improver like 2EHN you get the faster start of the burn, but no benefit after that. Think of the 2EHN as a pilot light that ignites the rest of the fuel more quickly.

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been meaning to update this. I ran the fuel down so that the light came on and then filled the tank with Esso regular.

The car was notceably quieter after a few miles, so I am pretty sure I haven't imagined it.

Next step is to measure the noise volume with a Db meter then fill with the Shell again to compare.

Might even email Shell and complain to try and get some free fuel vouchers etc. :D

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will see what I can do. I have an app on my phone, but not sure if it will work as the microphone might be more/less sensitive to different sound frequencies.

The car sounds quieter inside on idle as well.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I filled up with the Shell diesel option last night and it cost 13p a litre more on the motorway but no complaints from me. Starship performance was evident but my exhaust was ticking like a bomb when I got home!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Just came across this thread while searching for something else. I run my Brera 2.4 only on branded fuels, usually Shell, only because there is a station near by and the car is generally used for long runs. I have just completed a run of 550 miles, in 2x250ish mile slots. The journey was a mixture of motorway, fast A roads and windy lanes. As I was filling up prior to my trip I realised that I had put in Shell V-Power so I was interested to see if there would be any benefit.
So low and behold on my return and a fill up at my local Shell station, MPG was slightly down, I did not notice any difference in noise or drive ability. I think I was a little disappointed to be honest, I did expect some improvement.
MPG was 36.7 BTW, normally 37.9. These are numbers based on brim to brim journeys.

·
Registered
36,695 Posts
There is a theory that a higher octane fuel will indeed burn more effectively and faster; a lower mpg.

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not heard that theory myself, I was under the impression that ocate reduces the fuels ability to detonate allowing higher compression or higher boost on a petrol.

On Diesels a Higher Cetane rating makes the fuel burn faster and more smoothly, hence in theory you should get less noise because there is a reduced shockwave from the combustion.

It could be that the fuel supplier had just swicthed over to Winter grade Diesel where as before you car was full of the summer grade stuff.

It is known for giving a couple of MPG less than the summer grade, as the winter additives reduce the calorific value slightly.

As a side-note I just tried some Millers ecomax additive in my car and to be honest I cannot notice any difference over the normal Esso Diesel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts