Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Wednesday this week, I bid a sad farewell to my much enjoyed and almost totally trouble-free 159, and drove away from a Mercedes dealer in an AMG CLK, so far so good, I thought I was free from any possible Alfa problems, but not so.

The MB dealer gave me a fair PX price for my Alfa, at first he thought he'd put it on his own forecourt, but being already well stocked, eventually decided to pass it on through the trade. Amusingly, the dealer who offered the best price was Meridien Bournemouth, the very people who sold me the car in the first place. That was a couple of days ago, and the MB guy phoned this morning to tell me that Meridien had knocked £400 off the agreed price, because my car "Hadn't been properly serviced", though the only people who've ever laid a spanner on that car throughout it's life are Meridien themselves, and I've always done exactly as they advised.

What happened was they had the car in back in November 2009 for a full service, for which they charged me £475, their invoice listed that as a 36k service, even though the car had only travelled 20,500 miles. Just under one year later I took the car back, and asked them to give it the low mileage treatment, as for all kinds of reasons, it hadn't been very far since 10/2009, but Meridien Service Manager Rob Stratford said as I'd done so few miles, that wasn't necessary. "OK" I said, "I've done a lot of short journeys, so can you just change the oil?" Meridien did some kind of test, found that the oil was only slightly degraded, and actually refused to change it, according to them, if anything was done that the car's computer said wasn't needed, they would "Be in trouble with Alfa UK", so no interim service, and no oil change, even though I'd have happily paid for either or both.

159 service intervals are of course 22,000 miles or 2 years, so if I'd kept it, a service would have been due in a couple of months, for which I'd have taken it along to Meridien again, but now my immaculate low mileage 24,500 mile car is back with them anyway, and they're trying to con the MB dealer out of the cost of a full service that isn't due before next November, though they are now claiming that should have been carried out last year.

As you can imagine, I'm rather annoyed about this. I saw the MB guy and the dealer MD today, gave him copies of various items of paperwork, explained what they'd told me back then, told him to argue with Meridien, and that I'd back him all the way, even taking it up myself with Alfa UK if needed.

The Mercedes people are running a successful business, I'm running a successful business of my own, and this kind of behaviour just isn't acceptable, it's amateurish at best, and outright sharp practice at worst, one way or another, Meridien Bournemouth aren't going to get away with it. I think they're going to have to back down and pay the price they agreed, there will undoubtedly be further developments, so watch this space.

My new Mercedes is absolutely wonderful, as of course it should be at around double the price of a well-specced 159, but it's very different from an Alfa, better in many respects but by no means all. I could very well find myself back in an Alfa of some kind in years to come, assuming of course that fuel is still available, and the cost of a tankfull hasn't risen to more than the cost of a car.

I'll be interested to read what the rest of you think about all this.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I think it's pretty shoddy of the MB dealer to be bothering you about this - they agreed a P/X value with you, what happens to the car after that is not your concern.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's pretty shoddy of the MB dealer to be bothering you about this - they agreed a P/X value with you, what happens to the car after that is not your concern.
True of course, but he didn't really. He called about something else entirely, the paperwork on my new Mercedes, and just happened to mention it, the MB dealer's performance has been exemplary in every way throughout, I think he was quite surprised when I told him I'd do whatever I could to help him sort this out with Meridien.

As far as that Bournemouth Alfa dealer's behaviour goes, they've sunk to new depths. My 159 has just appeared on their site with the description "Full service history". Seems as if they're trying to have it both ways. Ba5tards!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
...I would have thought that p/x price is subject to a few conditions. Most times you buy a car, get a p/x price then drive away and take your car back in a week or two. If you return with a half smashed up car, no one will honour that p/x price that was agreed.

is it possible that the alfa dealer just hasn't done their homework properly? ...maybe just looked when the last service took place and jumped to a conclusion, without knowing the full history.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Well that's not so bad then :lol:

As for Alfa dealers, all the ones I've been too have been rubbish in one way or another, so this doesn't surprise me at all. They can't even agree between themselves what the service intervals on these cars are.

·
Registered
958 Posts
...I would have thought that p/x price is subject to a few conditions. Most times you buy a car, get a p/x price then drive away and take your car back in a week or two. If you return with a half smashed up car, no one will honour that p/x price that was agreed.
True enough, but this was after the car had been traded and the new motor taken away.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
True enough, but this was after the car had been traded and the new motor taken away.
I think you're both right here, but in fairness to the Mercedes dealer, he reported everything to me as just his hard luck, there was never any hint that he was trying to go back on any aspect of the deal, not that he could have anyway unless I'd misrepresented some aspect of my Alfa's history, which of course I hadn't. I must have done something like 30 deals on cars over the years, maybe more, and in all respects the MB guy was as good as any of them.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I agree with BG - this should have remained a matter between both dealers. Having brought it to your attention though, I can understand why you are annoyed. Meridien's apparent dishonesty is raising a question mark over your own integrity, and that is something that should always be challenged. I would write to them for an explanation.

Perhaps Meridien initially quoted a range of bids, subject to seeing it in the flesh and the final bid was lower than the MB dealer hoped but still higher than other bids? Is it possible though that the MB dealer could be just making it up to make you feel somehow indebted to them?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with BG - this should have remained a matter between both dealers. Having brought it to your attention though, I can understand why you are annoyed. Meridien's apparent dishonesty is raising a question mark over your own integrity, and that is something that should always be challenged. I would write to them for an explanation.
You're a bunch of cynics on here, but the last bit is what really annoyed me, there was obviously an implied suggestion by Meridien that I'd misrepresented my Alfa in some way, and that is something up with which I will not put, as Winston Churchill might have said. One way or another, the two dealers will probably sort this out between themselves, but no-one is going to drag my good name through the mud in the process. Like I said earlier, Ba5tards!

N

·
0 Posts
All sounds like the typical ARUK dealer service scam to me.

Why give a car a 36K service at just of 20K?
(Unless it was 4 years old...)

So the AR dealer has not only ripped you off for the cost
of a service, but then goes around slandering you.

Threaten them with a slander lawsuit. ;)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All sounds like the typical ARUK dealer service scam to me.

Why give a car a 36K service at just of 20K?
(Unless it was 4 years old...)

So the AR dealer has not only ripped you off for the cost
of a service, but then goes around slandering you.

Threaten them with a slander lawsuit. ;)
No, it had just passed its second birthday.

On your final suggestion, you're not a lawyer by any chance..?

N

·
0 Posts
I didn't realise ARUK had any dealers in France, typical or not.
Gibbo, go look in the 159/Brera technical lounge and check
the threads on the annual services* people are badgered into
paying for that are not the norm for the rest of Europe.

Those RHD Alfas must need more attention than the LHD
ones we buy over here.

It's a shoddy scam. :tut:

*AKA a really, really expensive oil change.

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
They're probably also feeling the pinch in terms of margins in general and turnover in particular. It doesn't help that dealers are now restricted to just a two model line-up (the 159 is now withdrawn at least in UK market).

I agree, a shoddy and greasy little display from this Alfa Romeo dealer, but nothing at all to be surprised about.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
I just read the OP so sorry if someone has already mentioned but! if they have agreed an "Offer price" that is the price they pay! They have reneged on agreement and i also cannot stand this business practice that is wide spread, if a man or a business is not worth their word then they are not worth anything. :mad:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts