Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that I'd replace the mast type aerial on my Alfa with one of the above, but the guy that does my electrical work refused to fit one. He stated that he had not heard anything good about them and that the reception was generally poor. Does anyone have a car with one of those arerials fitted and what do they think about them ? They are often seen on late Beamers.

D

·
0 Posts
What Chris said, :(

Don't do it! :lol: You don't drive a BMW and BMW's are the only cars where the drivers think this is a good idea!

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
I've been looking for a shark fin on my 159's (bloody wobbly plastic jobbie looks cheap and spoils the line of the car) but no luck without taking the headlining out and removing the whole assembly.
Not worth the hassle in the end for me :(

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
IMHO, the look crap and are only fit for chavtastic Saxo's & the likes:eek:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To save time I'll just list the principal reasons :-

Although my car gets very little used ( 8000 in over three years) I have had two mast type aerials nicked. I also cross threaded one of the replacements. A shark fin aerials utterly suits the sweeping look of a 156 GTA Sportwagon. The wife won't have to remember to take the mast aerial off when she goes to the carwash. I can cover the car up more easily when it is not in use. There are other reasons but the pubs are open !

·
Registered
798 Posts
I like the aerial in the demister in my 2000 156. I wish the later model Alfas would be the same.. those cheapo aerials sticking out like that should be left for cheapo cars. Reception is fine for me with mine..

I think the shark fin ones look alright..

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Hehe! Just me then :D:p;)

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I've been looking for a shark fin on my 159's (bloody wobbly plastic jobbie looks cheap and spoils the line of the car) but no luck without taking the headlining out and removing the whole assembly.
Not worth the hassle in the end for me :(
Do you seriously need anything else to go wrong with your car? ;)

I had a little stubby aerial on the back of the roof on my Merc, I thought the BMW one's were the same with just a plastic cover to look cool.

I like the idea of them, but as they're pretty much exclusive to BMWs and have to advise against it.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Is there not a replacement windscreen that has an in-built aerial? I hadn't realised modern cars used old-fashioned aerials any more! :confused:

·
Registered
15,174 Posts

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,313 Posts
Sharkfin aerials are very poor and inefficient in comparison to other types so electrically it's a retrograde step.

Aesthetically it's your choice, wouldn't be mine.

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Sharkfin aerials are very poor and inefficient in comparison to other types so electrically it's a retrograde step.

Aesthetically it's your choice, wouldn't be mine.
Hey nige - that is the nicest way I have heard for saying you would be stupid to slap a plastic micky mouse ear on your car :)

:p @ those that think its a good idea :lol:

·
Registered
125 Posts
The best option for all Alfa owners who want to get rid of the mast you have as an aerial, is to fit a honda civic aerial, it has the same screw thread so will just screw into the original base and is about half the size. They are £20 from the main dealers.

The honda civic in question is the older EP3 shape and not the new funky moon rocket one though.

Like this:
GENUINE HONDA AERIAL ACCORD, CIVIC, CR-V !!!NEW!!! on eBay, also Aerials Aerial Toppers, Exterior Styling, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 15-Jun-08 10:00:00 BST)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts