Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
Driving home today on the Ballysimon road today in Limerick and passed a black 02 156 with Audi-esque fairy lights on the front....it looked horrible and took the rakish look off the front of his/her 156.

Pete

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello all.
Driving home today on the Ballysimon road today in Limerick and passed a black 02 156 with Audi-esque fairy lights on the front....it looked horrible and took the rakish look off the front of his/her 156.

Pete
If its tacky enough to stick on an Audi, It's not good enough for an Alfa!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I saw a 01 Focus today, with 4 exhaust pipes. two of these were partially covered by some plastic bits of the custom rear bumper. made my day.

D

·
0 Posts
A lot of cars seem to be popping up with this mod for some mad reason it's hideous on Audi's never mind anything else to be honest.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
You can buy them these days in Halfrauds and just stick them down the bumper somewhere, seen loads of VW's and Skoda's with these LED yokes. Horrible looking.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I believe we are going to see more and more of these LED's; heard that it's gonna be EU legislation for all new cars in the not too distant future to feature daytime running lights, which is what these LED's are supposed to be :vomit:

·
Premium Member
42,857 Posts
The new Giulietta has them fitted as standard doesn't it :eek:

D

·
0 Posts
I do like daytime running lights too but not these bloodly shame of a thing that people badly fit to their cars.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
MY SAAB's had DRL on since it was made......in 1990!

Nothing OTT just a pair of sidelights that come on with the ignition. Dip and Main beam still have to be switched on, and you ONLY leave the sidelights on if they're selected with the switch otherwise all lights are off when you turn the ignition off.

It seems DRL are to be made EU standard (some Mercs have them in the lower front bumper running up/down next to a vent/slot) from now on, but why are they of the 'fairy light' variety when SAAB and Volvo had a much more subtle variation years ago?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
.. saab and volvo originally used a 21w omnidirectional daytime light rather than a sidelight, and then switched to regular dipped headlights later on (volvo went through a short period using dim-dips as well, though these were pretty useless).

the new drl law is for a pair of white lights between 400 and 800cd, so volvo and saab's original lights would still be fine. you can still use dipped headlights as a daytime light, but the main reason for the dedicated DRL lamp seems to be energy consumption.. an 800cd LED lamp uses a lot less power than the typical 55w halogen bulb used in a regular headlight, plus you can design the pattern of the beam specifically for daylight.

the good designs like those on the new audis and bmw are pretty clever.. they mark the car's position clearly but don't glare in low-light conditions. but the ones on the golf on the otherhand, are pretty crude.. you'd probably be better off using dipped headlights...

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
me too, I stand corrected, SAABs were not sidelights at all, damn those clever Swedes.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
...:lol:

sad isn't it.. actually changing bulbs is about the only thing i can do on these cars, so i had to brush up on the subject..!

D

·
0 Posts
Jayus you mustn't have xenons have ya? changing the side lights is meant to be a right pig of a job on them.

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
...:lol:

sad isn't it.. actually changing bulbs is about the only thing i can do on these cars, so i had to brush up on the subject..!
Now I know who to ask when mine go :D

And I like dire straits too..:D:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts