Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

The gtv's developed quite severe juddering at 60mph onwards, the wheels have just been balanced so it can't be those, I'm just wondering if the discs could be the case, ie warping?
The other option is the tracking but don't think it would be this severe??

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Hi Guys,

The gtv's developed quite severe juddering at 60mph onwards, the wheels have just been balanced so it can't be those, I'm just wondering if the discs could be the case, ie warping?
The other option is the tracking but don't think it would be this severe??
It could be wheel balance if you have lost a weight, warped discs show when braking,it wont be the tracking, it could be a loose or buckled wheel,still most likely though is a wheel weight has dropped off imho.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
first thing is to get the wheel balancing checked by someone else, it's unlikely but possible the balancing wasn't done correctly, or as msgtv mentioned you've lost a weight, i had this issue myself, had the balancing done and then still had the vibrations got the balancing done at another place and like magic it disappeared.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem, i'll see if I get the time after work to get a balance check :)

The one thing I don't want is the drive shafts being a little bent, It must be the wheels though, it's quite a pulsing judder which gives the impression of a large spinning surface, if it was small then the vibration would be a buzzing sensation.
Another thing I may try is popping the rears on the front to see any difference :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Are the tires ok. I changed one of mine not so long ago as the tire had a hernia bulge on the sidewall , which caused a judder.

G

·
Mine just started doing this and found out I have 50p tyre syndrome.
Strange how it has happened - it very clear to see when you look at the tyre. Can really feel it at very low speeds

·
Administrator
47,310 Posts
I had this on a car I'd just bought ages ago. Loosened the wheel nuts and re-tightened, and it was fixed.

WHoever had last re-fitted the wheels had failed to cross-tighten the bolts.

I would suggest that - or even failing to tighten some enough - could be the cause of your problem.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right, back again :) Wheels were balanced today and still no cure, before the balance i also swapped the rears to the front to see any difference but to no avail!
I'm booked in for the tracking to be done this week, let's see if that works! If not, then it's either discs or drive shafts!!!!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Being stupid here, Discs would judder under braking, they don't at the moment!!!

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
very doubtful if it's the discs, as you mentioned they would only cause juddering under braking, does it only happen at around that speed and then disappear again as the speed increases/decreases

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it decreases, the judder dissipates but after 90mph+ it becomes a vibration,

It's worse between 55mph and 80mph,

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
strange still sounds like balancing but obviosuly as you've had that checked at 2 seperate places it's highly unlikely both would have faulty machine, possible a dodgy tyre????? my mum had that issue on her 306, it turned out the tyre had warped slightly and was a very very slight oval shape rather than perfectly round, from the naked eye you couldn't tell but after fitting the spare tyre to the affected wheel the problem disappeared

1 - 15 of 15 Posts