Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Yesterday I purchased a second hand November 2005 Alfa GT. I have not driven it much, since it's with the mechanics for service, but have a few questions, since I can't find any information.

I looked up the VIN number on several places. Most of those show it as invalid, where some display only the model number. With BMW for instance, the VIN displays all the details about the car. Options, color, interior trim, etc. Is there a way for me to view those things for my GT as well, using the VIN of the car?

1. The Bertone badges on both sides are missing. Is this normal? I've looked at a lot of pictures and all of them had the Bertone badges there. Are those with a sticker on the back, or are there little holes where those go, because on the car itself, there are no holes.

2. The car has BOSE audio. There is a woofer in the boot and badges on the front speakers, but there are no BOSE badges on the rear small speakers. Was there an option for half-a-BOSE system in the brochure?
I looked for a purchase brochure with all the options, colors and trims, so I know what was offered and what I can look for, but couldn't find one.

3. During the little time I spent with the car, I tried the sound with some radio stations. I noticed, that the small speaker on the driver's door was not giving out any sound. I leaned towards it but was unable to hear anything. The lower/bigger speaker was working fine. What can I do to diagnose this? Does this speaker come on when there is a better quality source playing?

4. With the car I received only the navigation CDs and the navigation is in Italian. I wanted to change the language to English, but was requested to input a Setup CD, which I couldn't find anywhere in the Internet. The links I found were old and were already dead. Any help?

5. How do I know whether or not my CD plays MP3s or not? What options do I have for adding a wider variety of sound sources in the car? A changer? Or do I have to buy a new navigation for the center console and get it over with? I don't need video. I need only music. Video is not very safe in a sport coupe IMO.

6. How do I know whether or not I have an alarm system? Upon locking/unlocking the car doesn't make any sound. It just blinks the signal lights. Any way to change those settings and make it *beep* *beep* when I lock/unlock it?

7. There is condensation forming in the rear left taillight and the front right signal light. There are not-so-small holes drilled in the edge of both. I thought about replacing them completely, but would love to hear any other suggestions since this is a very common problem I understand.

That's all I can think of at the moment but am sure that something else will come up.

Thank you for your replies and thanks to all those who bothered to read my topic.

P.S. Beautiful car! And rare. Most people don't even know the model. :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hiya, good choice of car!

from your list...

. Give the vin to a dealer to find out the spec, this will also tell you if the recalls have been actioned
1. No, you should have badges
2. no half Bose, you have the whole system.
3. the tweeters are fake on the bose system, they've wedged it on top of the main speaker at the bottom of the door unfortunately
4. maybe the dealer with this, i don't know
5. MP3 ones say MP3 just above the cd slot, but it's not guaranteed. Best thing is to give it a go! I wouldn't bother with Nav, either stay standard or get something ipod compatible. Don't bother with the old fashioned changer
6. there is a method for getting the beeps put back on. everyone hates them because they're so loud and wakes up you nieghbours, so good luck with that. do a search on here for turning beeps off.
7. this is true, i bought a new one and it does it - live with it if you can!

Enjoy your car and welcome :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Welcome

Try here for backup discs ALFA ROMEO SAT NAV NAVIGATION DISCS ;) but as yours is a euro spec model try e mailing them

If you've got the sat nav did you check the boot to see if it is fitted with the 10 disc cd changer good enough for me, might be an old tech but works for me :) 2006 here and it plays burnt cd mp3 fine but use quality discs

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah. I see. Then I will find a couple of badges from one that is Breaking (is that the right term for a car which is being sold for parts?) and will stick them on myself. I may even get some of the other designs, which were put on other cars.

Interesting enough, once I changed the language for the dash computer, the language in the sat nav changed as well, so I don't need the setup cd anymore. :)

I checked the boot for the changer but there wasn't one in the upper left compartment. I guess I will be going with one of those emulated changers or whatever they are called, as soon as I browse this forum and check which ones are recommended.

Do all GTs have an alarm? I have a button on the center console that blinks red when I lock the car, but I am not sure if this indicates that there is an alarm fitted or not.

I tried closing the door with the window down, locking the car and opening the door from the outside using the door handle on the inside. Nothing happened. It just opened. It didn't even blink the signal lights or something.
Is a dealer the only place I can check for this? Dealers are not the most reliable source of information in Bulgaria. They are good only for taking way too much money.

G

·
0 Posts
If you read the owners hand book it tells you all about the beeps you set them from the dash menu:thumbs:

G

·
0 Posts
If the sat nav is in italian you may need the setup disc as well as the nav disc Ithink this allows you to input the correct language on the screen display.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the sat nav is in italian you may need the setup disc as well as the nav disc Ithink this allows you to input the correct language on the screen display.
That's what I thought as well, but the sat nav language changed along with the dash language. Now only the Voice commands are in Italian, but I am not sure what those do anyway, so I will just leave them be unless I want to experiment and need to set them to English.

I looked through the setup menu on the dash but did not see anything related to the alarm module (if any).

G

·
0 Posts
Did you mean the beeps that work with the switches or the alarm
If its the switches there should be a bit in the menu that asks alarm/beep on or off some where.
on the menu its called buzzer select this then it should give you the choice

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mean the beeps that work with the alarm, not the switches. I found the buzzer setting, but it controls only the beeps inside the car.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
5. Stick an mp3 CD in it.
6. Don't turn the beeps on, it's like a 4 grand microwave then. Just open a window and lock the car with the keys. Now open the door from the inside. If you have tinnitus then the alarm works.

[email protected]

·
Registered
439 Posts
5. Stick an mp3 CD in it.
6. Don't turn the beeps on, it's like a 4 grand microwave then. Just open a window and lock the car with the keys. Now open the door from the inside. If you have tinnitus then the alarm works.

[email protected]
Interesting I did this on my GT and I got nothing alarm wise no sounds or anything Lol . once the hazards starting flashing fast but no sound whatsoever!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have a button on the center console that blinks red when I lock the car
does that button blink red when you lock the car from the inside or is it amber? Did you mean when you lock the car from inside? I presume you didn't. If it is red and blinking when inside the car, you have a problem. If it is red from locking it from outside - I think it's all up and running.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Interesting I did this on my GT and I got nothing alarm wise no sounds or anything Lol . once the hazards starting flashing fast but no sound whatsoever!
doesn't seem a very effective alarm lol.

when you lock the car does it wait about 10 seconds and THEN beep? The reason i ask is that when you disable the alarm active beeps and when locking the car about 10 seconds later it DOES beep then it means the alarm is not active

[email protected]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
does that button blink red when you lock the car from the inside or is it amber? Did you mean when you lock the car from inside? I presume you didn't. If it is red and blinking when inside the car, you have a problem. If it is red from locking it from outside - I think it's all up and running.
When I press it while inside, it lights up in amber without blinking.
When I lock the car from the outside, it starts blinking in red.

[email protected]
Nothing happens. The door just opens and that's it. I will try waiting a minute before trying to open the door and not doing it right away.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I still haven't fixed the problem with the alarm, but have another question.

I saw somewhere that holding the Unlock button on the remote when unlocking the car will bring the windows down and holding the Lock button when locking will bring them up. I tried it and it worked, but only the Unlocking part. When holding the Lock button while locking the vehicle, the windows don't go up.

Is this normal?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts