Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
none for a while and then a whole load at once..

I would have thought its a car to keep when the petrol prices make it possible to drive it without one eye on the fuel gauge...!

the red one does look a peach, the Veloces one is too expensive ,all the others look decent, the blue is far to sensible a colour fo the 3.2! but it IS nice to see them going up in value for a good one.:thumbup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
none for a while and then a whole load at once..

I would have thought its a car to keep when the petrol prices make it possible to drive it without one eye on the fuel gauge...!

the red one does look a peach, the Veloces one is too expensive ,all the others look decent, the blue is far to sensible a colour fo the 3.2! but it IS nice to see them going up in value for a good one.:thumbup:
Although prices vary, the adage is probably true of buying a more expensive, low mileage version in good nick is better than a cheaper, higher mileage.

Does anyone think these original Alfa Bussos will become 'classics' of the future?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Looking at GTA and GT 3.2 prices I think they will. It's regarded as one of the great engines and I think last of the line will become quite sought after. My GT has held its value much better than a diesel or JTS so fingers crossed....

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Although prices vary, the adage is probably true of buying a more expensive, low mileage version in good nick is better than a cheaper, higher mileage.

Does anyone think these original Alfa Bussos will become 'classics' of the future?
I wish low mileage guaranteed trouble free...

it just doesn't on these cars, I would most likely if in the market buy the cheapest I could find in a colour I liked and put 4k to one side for work.

still loving the red one though, problem is at 8k leaves no budget for unexpected's..

I hope they become a classic, they deserve to, but I think the GTV 3.0 and th 156 GTA will get there first.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
By the time these are at classic prices, say the equivalent of £25k at today's money, that is probably another 15 years in the future and 10 years minimum. What price will petrol be then when it has been replaced by alternative fuel.

Petrol may be cheap but, at the risk of huge debate, it is not a future fuel so small quantity production will be really expensive.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Until the next budget when the chancellor takes the opportunity. Fuel prices are mostly tax anyway.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
so much wealth and consequently the world economy is based on the extraction,refinement and selling of crude oil based products.

we will all be old men before another fuel source holds the majority of the market, we have for environmental reasons needed an alternative fuel source for 30 years...do you REALLY think that there is not viable option available...?

hydrogen cell cars are ready now, the only thing missing is the infrastructure required to re-fuel, the technology has been available for many years but the people that make the decisions are either working for the fuel industry or taking ''financial incentives'' from them in order to ensure any new legislation passed allows them to carry on with business as usual.

the only by-product of using hydrogen is clean H2O..! and it is very cheap to make on a large scale when compared to the costs of extracting ,refining and transporting oil/petrol/diesel

despite all of that I predict it will be at least twenty years before the car industry make a wholesale move to it. why else would they be spending millions of pounds on ''researching'' ways to make petrol cars more economical with lower emissions..?

the answer to why is nicely and concisely written by halftone "fuel prices are mostly tax anyway''

why would turkeys ever vote fro Christmas?

and all this green car production stuff is rubbish anyway. the building of one new car creates more pollution than your current one will in its lifetime, so it's undeniable. if the government of any county was truly committed to tackling this issue head on then the solution is simple.

halt new car production for 10 years and stop crushing old ones for no good reason,employ the car industry to research build, and refine the infrastructure to support the new fuel and then start making new hydrogen powered cars, they will still make money from maintaining the cars currently on the road as well.

our generation has developed a throw away attitude towards car ownership due to the PCP way of owning cars. my dad and grandad would have found this shocking, in those days you ran a car until it was dead , not until something ''newer, shinier and more desirable came along.

we really don't ''need'' almost all of the new cars being built and as a society maybe we should take a step back and ask ourselves if we should be buying a new car every 4 years..?

·
Registered
523 Posts
and all this green car production stuff is rubbish anyway. the building of one new car creates more pollution than your current one will in its lifetime, so it's undeniable. if the government of any county was truly committed to tackling this issue head on then the solution is simple.

halt new car production for 10 years and stop crushing old ones for no good reason,employ the car industry to research build, and refine the infrastructure to support the new fuel and then start making new hydrogen powered cars, they will still make money from maintaining the cars currently on the road as well.

our generation has developed a throw away attitude towards car ownership due to the PCP way of owning cars. my dad and grandad would have found this shocking, in those days you ran a car until it was dead , not until something ''newer, shinier and more desirable came along.

we really don't ''need'' almost all of the new cars being built and as a society maybe we should take a step back and ask ourselves if we should be buying a new car every 4 years..?
I've often thought along the same lines and would love to see something like this happen.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Back on topic I should have been less impatient when I got mine. Though it's a great car I defininately spent more than I should have.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mine is on Autotrader, so I'm one of the seven:) Would be nice to think I could get towards £10k, but I paid £9k five years ago!! I think around £5k is slightly more reasonable....

Silver and black with a Q2 fitted... I need to do over 40 miles a day, so this car doesn't stack up for me anymore:-( And I have a GTV 3.0 which is staying.

Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6 24v 2dr

Let me know if you're interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Coupe's always become classics.

GTA models will be more sought after due to the badge.
I'm not sure the GT ever will be though in V6 trim.

Its not too different to the other models in the range. There isn't anything to make it look different to other GT's. JTS / Diesels all look the same.

I just don't think it will hold that same classic view.
But agree long way off them being true classics yet.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Though I'm slightly biased I disagree because the Bertone designed shaped of the GT is quite special and along with the GTA the last great busso engine.
Problem is the busso GT looks exactly the same as all the others, so on looks alone you have no idea if its holding a Busso or an oil burner.

Also, the looks aren't loved by many. I was always unsure of the looks of my old GT, sometimes I'd look at my old GT and think she's a real looker, then I'd look again from another angle and think what a dog!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Problem is the busso GT looks exactly the same as all the others, so on looks alone you have no idea if its holding a Busso or an oil burner.

Also, the looks aren't loved by many. I was always unsure of the looks of my old GT, sometimes I'd look at my old GT and think she's a real looker, then I'd look again from another angle and think what a dog!
Well, that could be said of a lot of classic cars (e.g. the looks don't tell you what engine you have). As far as overall looks/performance/drivability I think it could be. I have to say 'dog' never comes to mind when I look at the GT though. Who knows? Only time will tell!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts