Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Driving a 2001 alfa 147. After about an hour of city driving the steering wheel becomes harder to turn and later also a sound appers when turning it, like some scraping. After i park the car and let it cool down everything gets back to old. There is enough servo oil, there is even more oil than MAX (i'll try to take out the excess oil).

maybe the servo oil is bad and becomes thiner (lower viscosity) on higher temperatures, or the servo pump has some problems..

Any other ideas?

I'll take the car to service next week.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Sounds to me like your pumps just failed and the steering fluid has become aeriated. Don't take any fluid out and check on the floor under the car.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
could be that the wire mesh on the outlet of the steering pump is blocking the oil flow.

replacing the oil is easy enough, well most of it can be drained at the oil cooler BUT if the filter is clogged you need to remove the reservoir, the feed pipe, the oultet pipe & then remove the 24mm nut to gain access to the fitler.... there is a strong spring so be carefuly not to loose bits

better to bring it to me to sort out for you :thumbs:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i noticed today some fluid under the engine. wasnt sure where that came from, its slightly black but not as black as the motor oil (needs to be replaced). the steering fluid is more redish and doesnt smell like that fluid i found, nor does the motor oil smell like it.. as far as i could see under the car the bottom engine block has some fluid on it.

btw when turning the servo all the way to one side, some weird noise comes up, and the servo heat exchanger pipe begins to vibrate.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
The noise is normal as the relief vaalve is pushed to the limit, the vibrating pipe though is sign of air in there.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
btw to say again, normally when i cold start the car the steering is fine, the wheel is a bit harder (you cant drive with one finger on it).. but after a 30-60min of city driving the problem begins to manifest...

i have the car just for few days now and i really love it :)
btw 2 days ago i was parked and some fiat stilo guy ramed me into the door while driving backwards. he wasnt looking back. omg :cry:

I hope that pump doesnt cost a fortune :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
btw to say again, normally when i cold start the car the steering is fine, the wheel is a bit harder (you cant drive with one finger on it).. but after a 30-60min of city driving the problem begins to manifest...

i have the car just for few days now and i really love it :)
btw 2 days ago i was parked and some fiat stilo guy ramed me into the door while driving backwards. he wasnt looking back. omg :cry:

I hope that pump doesnt cost a fortune :)
Hi I have same problem on my alfa 147 1.9JTD.

I know that 3 years passed but what was the problem, and solution?

Thanks
Sloba

1 - 10 of 10 Posts