Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 SW estate 156. 74,000 miles: has a FSH (I think).. can anyone tell me what I should have had done and what is due...

Also my second key only locks/ unlocks the car but wont start it- I dont have the keycode card........any advice??

G

·
0 Posts
Well I'm sorry to say this but 74,000 miles is a Big one... Double check your service manual for any cambelt changes, It should have been done at 72,000 miles or sooner along with the waterpump... If it hasn't been done, then your engine and waterpump are living on the lottery of borrowed time.
Sorry.

Full service which is oil change, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter.... Coolant should be changed every two years (they will do this with the waterpump/cambelt), clutch and brake fluid replaced and bled every two years... Gearbox fluid drained and replaced every two years. Brake pads and discs inspected and replaced if needed

A ball park figure is £450 - £480 for a cambelt and waterpump change and full service
sounds a lot but the cambelt and waterpump will last you another 72,000 miles

A standard full service after that will be around the £145 to £160 mark every 12,000 or every year

As regards to your key... Try swapping the battery first for a new one... They can be finecky like that....If that still doesn't do it, there is a guy on ebay and I believe is also a member on here who re-programs them cheaper than a main dealer would.... Sorry can't remember his name but if you use the search facility on the forum you will find some info....

A word of warning though... Just be careful if you use Ebay for a key reprogram... They have your key code and your address so there is the small possibility that the car can go missing!
Scrutinise the reputation of whoever you use and get as much info as possible about them

I am at a loss what to do if the key code card is lost but i'm sure the main dealer can possibly do a chassis number search and advise accordingly
Hope this helps.. And I hope that the previous owner has already done the cambelt etc before selling on the car, that will save you a huge chunk:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The Alfa offical line for belts on diesels is 5 years or 72k miles whichever occurs first, however most forum users and indi's will tell you 4 years 60k miles and change the waterpump each time - the waterpump is getting a reputation for causing the cam belt to break (there is a long and detailed thread regarding this).

I do not think that your car will have had a keycard - the key boffin on the forum uses the name CHRIS send him a private mail to get his attention, he also advertises on ebay.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had to get a replacement key and had to follow this ridiculous process.

Go to main stealer with log book and proof of ID.

Pay dealer for key (blade and fob) about £100
Pay dealer to retrieve code from factory £60
Pay dealer to programe key £40

I bought a used key fob and a blank blade from ebay but I'm dammed if I can find anyone to cut the key and programme the fob.

After all this I found the lost spare

·
Registered
134 Posts
Theres a place in middlesbrough : thflory.co.uk - batteries, car, electrical, garage, middlesbrough, cleveland
They do key replacements and coding. Might be worth giving them a ring. They advertise in the local rag and my normal car dealer I buy from regular swears by them for allsorts of stuff.

Maybe you could post your key up here to be copied, I'm led to believe they can capture the existing frequency using a fancy tool then program the new key identically. Might be wrong mind u.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts