Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received one of those fine touting for business letters from my local dealer. You know the one - "Our records show that your vehicle, registration number .... ... , will soon be due for service and blah, blah, blah.........."

Anyway here's the question:

The car, a 147 JTDm 16v Q2, was first registered by the dealer on 28.09.07 and given a Pre-Delivery Service on 05.10.07, they then ran it as a demonstrator till I bought it on 22.02.08 with 140 miles on the clock.

So would I be right in assuming that the dealer should have carried out a service of the car prior to me taking delivery, bearing in mind the car was about five month old? Any other 'used' car I've purchased was serviced prior to handover.

Now the car only having 6136 miles on the clock right now do you reckon I can hold off till 22.02.09 or 12,000 miles whichever comes soonest?

After all we're really only talking about an oil filter, engine oil & particle filter change and some safety checks that you can carry out yourself.

It just seems a bit early for the dealer to start really making money from my purchase.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Dealers are tight so-and-so's. Doubt they will have done a full service when you bought it unless you specifically requested them to - if they did anything it will have just been a pre-delivery 'safety check' or such like. And if it wasn't stamped in the service book it's neither here nor there anyway.

I would get it serviced according to what it says in the service schedule - too-frequent oil changes are better than too few.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would get it serviced according to what it says in the service schedule - too-frequent oil changes are better than too few.
Hmmmmm That was why I mentioend the 12,000 miles or one year whichever comes first.

As it would appear that the one year from first registration will be first on this occasion and I only have just over 6000 miles over delevery mileage I think I'll push for a low mileage annual service this time. What really irks here is then fact that it's a 120 mile round trip to take it back to the original dealer.:rolleyes: And I'm not sure I want to give the local 'Robber' my hard earned.

Thanks for response.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
If you are doing low miles I would still get it serviced once a year - but it doesn't have to be at the main dealer. Any VAT registered garage using the correct parts can do it and will not invalidate your warranty. You can buy your OEM filters from Shop4Parts and then just turn up at your local friendly garage to have them fitted and get the stamp in the book.

Remember the oil in turbos has to work very hard for a living!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are doing low miles I would still get it serviced once a year - but it doesn't have to be at the main dealer. Any VAT registered garage using the correct parts can do it and will not invalidate your warranty. You can buy your OEM filters from Shop4Parts and then just turn up at your local friendly garage to have them fitted and get the stamp in the book.

Remember the oil in turbos has to work very hard for a living!
Yeah, I was considering taking her to my local garage who used to do MOT's on both my GTV's and let them do an oil change and filter replacement - I'd rather give the money to them me thinks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bought my car in march 2008_was preregistered in Sept 2007 from EMG Cambridge. Owner was EMG. It had 80 miles on clock and salesman took me out for demo in used car as he did not want to have more miles on clock as it was "brand new"
Have now done 4000 miles. Letter from EMG says now due for service.
Rang up to say I only had it for 6 months and done 4000 miles.
Service guy said it had to be done or warranty would be invalid!!!
How much? £147 or £215 for part service as low milage.

There has to be something wrong with that Alfa policy. It is only in the last few years that dealers have started to pre-register cars to make it look as if they have made a sale. Then the dealer drops the price to actually make a sale. Now the dealer is making up his "loss" by insisting that the service has to be done.

Has anyone gone back to Alfa and questioned this dealer policy?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now just back with the car from local garage after first year 12,000 mile service (7500 actual mileage).

Got my Service Book stamped by garage with VAT number - got my receipt stating annual service carried out to manufacturer's schedule - all for £52.88.:thumbs:

As opposed to Western Edinburgh at £244 = 120 mile round trip (including "seeing me alright" discount:rolleyes: ) and Arnold Clark ,Glasgow at £200.

Here's to supporting long established, local 'motor engineers' with great personal service as opposed paying through the nose for main dealer overheads. Don't they know we're officially in a 21 century Recession?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts