Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Transit from GE Capital, I also got a fully printed out service/repair log with dates etc.
Today, I collated all the receipts for my two spiders and my gtv v6, put them all in date order and then listed them in order onto a printed sheet.
When you do this, it help give a clearer picture as to what has been done on each car and when.
It also tells you how much the previous owners have shelled out which in some cases is frightening, but often useful when you can see the major stuff has been done.
I now have 3 files which I can instantly refer to, and decide when to carry out certain jobs etc.
I only struggled with one of the spiders, as it spent some time being owned by a female army captain who bought it in Germany (it is RHD) and some of the receipts I cannot understand:lol:
Have you ever bothered to collate all the past works on your Alfa to give you a clearer picture than a huge sheaf of receipts?
It becomes a lot easier to know your car & it's past.

·
Registered
534 Posts
What's in the past is gone forever. That fact that the car had this piece of work or that 2 years ago is no pointer to what will happen tomorrow. I'm more interested in receipts as evidence that the car has been looked after.
The details have no relevance today.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tend to disagree, what has been done in the past IS the evidence on how well or not well the car has been looked after.
Belt changes, dates & mileages, services etc. and therefore is entirely relevant. To say that what was done 2 years ago, is irrelevant seems a bit flippant to me.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
What's in the past is gone forever. That fact that the car had this piece of work or that 2 years ago is no pointer to what will happen tomorrow. I'm more interested in receipts as evidence that the car has been looked after.
The details have no relevance today.
I know which car I'd rather buy:)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I have to agree with Tony on this one. I'd buy a car based on how it is now, what happened two years ago is irrelevant. Still interesting information to have though.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have to agree with Tony on this one. I'd buy a car based on how it is now, what happened two years ago is irrelevant. Still interesting information to have though.
So surely, based on that, you would be happy to buy a car with no documented/receipted service history from it's previous years? As that is what I read from it?

Therefore, although if the oil wasn't changed for 50,000 miles ( 4 years) previously creating increased engine wear, but was just a few days before you looked at the car on sale, "how it is now". would satisfy you?
I don't get it?

I'm very interested in this "how it is now" philosophy, would either of you care to explain? as I am really struggling with that.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When we went looking for our 1st spider, I WALKED AWAY from the one I really wanted, due to the fact that there was no supporting evidence of maintenance, which on ANY car to me anyway is vital.
We were prepared for a weekend away, as I will always travel for the right car.
The one we actually bought was with a dealer, (Non alfa dealer). Before I even bothered to look at the actual car (my wife did though), I sat in his office and asked to look at every receipt avail dating back 13 years. Thos sheafs of paper told me a lot about the car and the nature of the previous owners. I then looked at the car, drove it, made an offer, haggled, bought it.
My 2nd spider, I wasn't too bothered about because it was silly cheap. Just had to go and get it, but discovered yet another plethora of paperwork with it.
GTV V6 again, I took 2 hours messing with it and going through the paperwok and carrying out a thorough examination, but had it got no documented history, I would not have even bothered going to see it.

So there is my reasoning as to why I believe a comprehensive service history is important, maybe one of you would explain as to why you believe it isn't? I am genuinely interested. ta.

·
Registered
534 Posts
As I said receipts give you evidence that a car has been looked after, I certainly wouldn't waste my time wading through 13 years of them.

The fact that they're there is enough and a receipt detailing the brand of oil that went in 10 years ago has absolutely no bearing on the car today.

The work done on a car tells you nothing about today. If you are really that bothered surely a full strip down and inspection of everything is what you need to do.

Me? I have a life

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I said receipts give you evidence that a car has been looked after, I certainly wouldn't waste my time wading through 13 years of them.

The fact that they're there is enough and a receipt detailing the brand of oil that went in 10 years ago has absolutely no bearing on the car today.

The work done on a car tells you nothing about today. If you are really that bothered surely a full strip down and inspection of everything is what you need to do.

Me? I have a life
Astonishing.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I honestly can't be bothered to keep receipts, and once a car is more than 6 years old, I service it myself anyway. I may be devaluing the car a bit, but compared to the cost of getting the garage to service it, I'll take the risk. Driving style is far more important. When I was younger I had a car with an impeccable service record, I'd spent loads on it and kept every receipt. The sign of a careful owner? Hardly - I thrashed that car something chronic, the receipts were mainly a record of stuff that I broke.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I honestly can't be bothered to keep receipts, and once a car is more than 6 years old, I service it myself anyway. I may be devaluing the car a bit, but compared to the cost of getting the garage to service it, I'll take the risk. Driving style is far more important. When I was younger I had a car with an impeccable service record, I'd spent loads on it and kept every receipt. The sign of a careful owner? Hardly - I thrashed that car something chronic, the receipts were mainly a record of stuff that I broke.
That's a dilemma I am facing at the moment. I have a 4 y old Mito and the cambelt will be due for change. Shall I pay the dealer to do it or should I do it?

I do things carefully (as it is my baby) but the service stamp - will it help selling the car?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a dilemma I am facing at the moment. I have a 4 y old Mito and the cambelt will be due for change. Shall I pay the dealer to do it or should I do it?

I do things carefully (as it is my baby) but the service stamp - will it help selling the car?
You could keep the receipts of all the bits involved. The fact you did it yourself shouldn't put a buyer off. However, if you just say "yeah mate changed the belt" whereas, with nothing to back it up may well put em off.
I don't use garages for anything, but will always keep the receipts for parts.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I do all my own work and keep receipts of every purchase and log when it is done, helps keep track of what is needed and when. When I bought both my cars, I went by service history/maintenance and pile of receipts.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Yeah me too.
I even keep all the receipts for my 14 year old Fiat Seicento.
If i had cash in my hand and there were 2 sellers with equal cars, 1 with history of items replaced/serviced and 1 with nothing.
My money would always go to the 1 with history.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I'd be interested in the most recent set of bills simply so I can see what I might have to do in the near future. Anything older than that is just for information really. I certainly wouldn't pay more for a car that's got wads of paperwork with it.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
So in answer to your question, yes I'd happily buy a car with no history ( and have done many times).
No oil change for 50,000 miles four years ago isn't a drama, any problems caused by that would be obvious by now. If its quiet, not smoking and runs well then happy days. Modern engines (and cars) are incredibly tolerant of abuse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts