Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out here in the land of sand, the main dealers all stick religiously (and punitively) to the service schedules of manufacturers and therefore my wife's Ford Explorer, which has just clocked 80,000 km (that's KM and not Miles) and is the grand old age of 2 years and 3 months - has just been in for it's 8th (yes 8TH!!) service since I got it in November 2013.

Ok, so we have 50 degree summers and lots of sand filters in the a/c etc - but does an essentially 2 year old car, with 50k MILES on it really need to have been "serviced" 8 times.....

·
Vendor
46,347 Posts
Out here in the land of sand, the main dealers all stick religiously (and punitively) to the service schedules of manufacturers and therefore my wife's Ford Explorer, which has just clocked 80,000 km (that's KM and not Miles) and is the grand old age of 2 years and 3 months - has just been in for it's 8th (yes 8TH!!) service since I got it in November 2013.

Ok, so we have 50 degree summers and lots of sand filters in the a/c etc - but does an essentially 2 year old car, with 50k MILES on it really need to have been "serviced" 8 times.....
Well, I get them in to me, 50k miles, only two oil changes done and the turbo has that nice characteristic whistle already... There must be a happy medium.

·
Registered
316 Posts

Does a grand prix car need a full engine rebuild after less than 1000 miles? Did the military need to service their vehicles weekly in Afghan and Iraq?

It's not about the mileage, it's about the useage. 50,000 miles in those temperatures, and with the sand and dust that needs to be dealt with, is probably equivalent to double that in a temperate country.

Also, what does the service entail? If it's just oil, filters and some lube-work then that makes sense to me, if it's a full-on cambelts and clutches job then less so.

EDIT: Don't forget the number of threads where people advise changing the oil every 5-8,000 miles even in the UK. That's spot on for this.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
It's not that long ago that service intervals were commonly 6,000 miles in the UK and I am sure that when I started driving in 1965 the interval was only 3,000 miles. Perhaps ZF will correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Missus''sss son's 125 bike. Brand new, 1st service (oil change) at 250 miles. I suspect it is only going to last 10k and stop!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts

Sandy environment is SEVERE SERVICE in every owners manual. 10.000 km on an oil change is as far as I would go.

You could get an oil sample and send it off for analysis. Check for silicon content in the oil specifically. This would cost about $25,00 so the question is really what an oil change costs?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I would rather over-do it than not. The interval is 18000 miles on the qashqai, it clocked past 12 and needs oil topping up a fair bit. If I was like most others that have a company car I wouldn't bother doing it!

Strange how the qashqai uses more oil that the JTD used to, it never used a drop!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Missus''sss son's 125 bike. Brand new, 1st service (oil change) at 250 miles. I suspect it is only going to last 10k and stop!

that's completely normal for a a bike's running in mileage,no reason why you won't get 60-100,000 miles on a 125 cc if its looked after as it should be.

there are two schools of thought on the run in, go gently for 250-500 miles or get on it and drive it like you stole it for 50 miles and then drop the oil. there is some evidence to suggest the latter gives you a sweeter running bike with more power as you get a better seal on the piston rings...I concur with this having done it.

in fact this goes for all 4 stroke engines, when i did this this on a brand new vespa GTS 300 I had a few years ago, anecdotal evidence clearly indicated (comparing to my mates identical bike run in per the manufacturers instructions) , mine was more powerful..and seemed to be around 10% up on power when compared to other vespa 300 GTS's, and I rode at least 6-7 others.

I did also have lighter rollers in the variator which were designed to increase take off speed (they did) and they were flatter on one side allowing the variator to open a bit more giving a touch higher top speed...(they did) but that is just a gearing thing. the bike was definitely had more torque than other bikes of the same model.

the result was a 300 cc scooter that on a still day on a straight bit of road could reach 95 MPH....

interesting reading

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
that's completely normal for a a bike's running in mileage,no reason why you won't get 60-100,000 miles on a 125 cc if its looked after as it should be.

there are two schools of thought on the run in, go gently for 250-500 miles or get on it and drive it like you stole it for 50 miles and then drop the oil. there is some evidence to suggest the latter gives you a sweeter running bike with more power as you get a better seal on the piston rings...I concur with this having done it.

in fact this goes for all 4 stroke engines, when i did this this on a brand new vespa GTS 300 I had a few years ago, anecdotal evidence clearly indicated (comparing to my mates identical bike run in per the manufacturers instructions) , mine was more powerful..and seemed to be around 10% up on power when compared to other vespa 300 GTS's, and I rode at least 6-7 others.

I did also have lighter rollers in the variator which were designed to increase take off speed (they did) and they were flatter on one side allowing the variator to open a bit more giving a touch higher top speed...(they did) but that is just a gearing thing. the bike was definitely had more torque than other bikes of the same model.

the result was a 300 cc scooter that on a still day on a straight bit of road could reach 95 MPH....

interesting reading

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
that's how I broke in my Giulietta Diesel aswell...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts