Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe one of you can help me with this mystery, I cant seem to work my way around this one....

So after the engine replacement last year at Sandown CC, I had a number of issues... which were never attended to despite the emails I sent.

I then went to William Simpson Newlands for the next service because Sandown had a 3 week booking delay(how?)

more issues popped up in November last year and I alerted the humans at Sandown about these to which they kind of reacted and said they would book the car in- never happened.

So mail after mail and on the 1st of Feb 2016, I make a booking for the 29th of Feb as I was on track for mileage...

in this mail i once again highlight the issues and request that they prepare a courtesy car because i do not believe all of these would be sorted in a single day...

yesterday comes

I leave at 17:45,

Not
One
Issue
Resolved

oh and car started misfiring within 300m of the building.

and no courtesy car, so i have to wait two more weeks.

Now how are we supposed to have confidence in a brand if we as consumers are treated this way?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Dude. Speak LOUDLY. Wave your hands wildly. Stare the dude down. When he fetches his boss, do the same. Remember: It is not YOUR boss. But it's your car. If the repairs were carried out under warranty through Alfa Romeo SA, then you can have repairs done at any dealer not just the one that sorted you out the first time. Especially since they didn't sort you out properly in the first instance.

Sometimes I try to admire some people's patience but it is never worth it. If you want something done you will need to threaten someone. Do you have a lawyer in the family that you could pay to draft a legal letter? Or so you could just confidently say "Just hold on, I'm fetching my lawyer..."

My cousin's wife's VW tdi spat it's turbo out after 40000km and VW was going to rebuild the turbo. On hearing this, my cousin went to fetch his wife and went to the DP's orifice and said: "Louise, this is the DP. DP, this is my wife Louise. It's her car. She is an attorney. About that turbo you were talking about." They fitted a new one with no questions asked.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Stare the dude down. When he fetches his boss, do the same.
I agree with this approach. Obviously not when everything is going smoothly, but once they have "resolved" an issue with zero satisfaction to me, my approach also tends to be to just stand my ground, even if I have to ask the same question twenty times until I get an answer to my satisfaction.
In such situations I make them bring out the paperwork to show where I agreed to the supposed terms and conditions they try to pass off as "standard procedure" or whatever. Literally "Go and get the papers and show me - I'll wait here (and explain to all the other customers about your crap service in the meantime)."

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i took the approach of going to another dealer, namely William Simpson

They never fitted a new air filter, argued with me for 2 weeks before eventually bringing a new filter to me at my office, then seeing the filter was indeed not replaced, and all i received from the DP was ,"With the two filters next to each other you can see the difference.

I will investigate the matter internally and take the corrective action needed

Once again my apologies for any inconvenience we may have caused you"

all i seem to receive are defensive excuses.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
well i took the approach of going to another dealer, namely William Simpson

They never fitted a new air filter, argued with me for 2 weeks before eventually bringing a new filter to me at my office, then seeing the filter was indeed not replaced, and all i received from the DP was ,"With the two filters next to each other you can see the difference.

I will investigate the matter internally and take the corrective action needed

Once again my apologies for any inconvenience we may have caused you"

all i seem to receive are defensive excuses.
When I walk into a dealership in the Western Cape they greet me and give me what I ask for unless there are new people that I need to train.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't raise my voice

I don't lose my temper.

they are adults

they are paid to do a job

they must complete the job

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I don't raise my voice

I don't lose my temper.

they are adults

Exactly. I don't raise my voice. I just calmly explain to them how they have not answered my question, and then ask the same question again. Over and over. Until I get an answer, or until they admit that they are lying or that they don't care.

Like at a Battery Centre a while ago. A battery from them started blowing up and spitting out acid. Tested the alternator output myself to check that it wasn't overcharging the battery, but no issues found. So took it to Battery Centre for them to check. At first they just wanted to put the battery on a test bench to check, but I also requested them to do their own alternator check just to be sure. The alternator check came back flawless.
Go back a day or two later and they say the battery tested perfect on their test bench overnight.
So I simply ask whether it's then a standard feature of the battery to spew out massive amounts of acid?
They duck the question.
I ask again: "Are you saying it's a standard feature of the new battery to spew acid even when the alternator is fine?"
They duck the question.
I ask again.
They duck the question.
I ask again.
Finally they say: "The battery is fine and that's all we are prepared to do for you!"
So I just inform them that I will never do business with Battery Centre again and I will warn everyone I know off them.

Problem resolved as good as it's going to get.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Did you get a replacement battery ?

Funny - recently I bought a new battery from Battery Centre for a 147 JTD and when I got home the new battery could not even turn the motor :furious:

I tested it and it read 10.57 volts - so they sold me a flat.

I took a different approach - I started by slamming my slip down and asking if they always sell flat battery's to customers ? They then said it happens - 1 out of every 1000 battery's are flat. So I asked how much effort it would be just to test the effen new battery before customers leave because customers don't have time to drive up and down to exchange their flat battery's.

They just started nodding and quickly got a new battery and tested it with two multi testers to confirm it was fully charged.

I left leaving a cloud of EcoSport tyre smoke infront their shop - that was pretty lame but it felt good.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Did you get a replacement battery ?
Nope. No replacement battery. They insisted that the battery was fine and their own test also showed that the alternator of the car the battery was in was fine. Which means they implicitly admitted that it's a feature of the battery to spew out a lot of acid just because it feels like it.
So then, why would I want a replacement battery which is liable to do the same thing? I wanted my money back. They weren't obliging. Extremely bad service, so I will not use them again.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
That is bad. What battery was it - I recently got a Raylite Nano from them - so far so good - except for the initial flat one :alien:

·
Registered
915 Posts
I don't raise my voice

I don't lose my temper.

they are adults

Dude..is it their money that paid for the car? Is it their effort that earned the money for the car. By them not competently supplying you with what you paying for...i think its theft under false pretences. Whether a court agrees is another story, but i think you are too calm hence they're taking advantage of your good nature. You paid for a working car...not a faulty car. I'd be a little bothered by their attitude and would would escalate the matter to highest authority, placing them on terms to sort my wheels out within a stipulated time...or damages claims will be instituted against them. :furious:

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I don't raise my voice

I don't lose my temper.

they are adults

How long did it take them to fix your car, which you paid them for, without providing you with a courtesy vehicle? And they didn't do it properly hence this post? And you actually expect that they will fix it without you either elevating your dissatisfaction or trying to elevate it to their less than useless customer care department?... You are probably into S&M, right?:alien:

That is not the behavior of mature adults and frankly it is none of my business whether they get paid to do a job or not, and the fact is that they did not complete the job satisfactorily. My point is I go through a LOT of crap while earning my money so you better beware, I will pass down my pain onto you when you don't give me what I asked for, properly the first time.

According to Albert Einstein: "The height of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result". I'm not Einstein but if you asked them in the beginning in a perfectly good way to perform certain work on your car and they didn't do it, are you sure doing it again will get you a different result? My reaction stems from the painful experience of suffering 15 years of ineptitude by Fiat/Alfa dealerships, at ALL dealerships that I have ever encountered and there were many at that time.

...sooooo, time to scream at somebody... :irked:

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I also don't threaten. I talk nicely and prefer written communication. After years of being confrontational, I've found that gentlemanly behaviour gets the best results. Presenting the facts in a polite manner is good for everyone.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I also don't threaten. I talk nicely and prefer written communication. After years of being confrontational, I've found that gentlemanly behaviour gets the best results. Presenting the facts in a polite manner is good for everyone.
Exactly. But when a question is not answered, the thing to do is to simply say: "That does not answer my question." and then ask the same question again. Sometimes you need to do this five or six times before a different answer results, but it's worth it.

Most places in South Africa are used to getting away with bad customer service because most customers just accept whatever nonsense made-up-on-the-spot answer is given out of politeness.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Agreed.....until I lose the plot! I found that stamping feet can help :)

But the problem is that the service from dealerships is the root cause of frustrations, that result in different approaches/responses to get what you should be getting. Putting up glossy posters in dealerships about 8/10 or 9/10 service ratings is trite and simplistic. AR promised this forum about a year ago about the new strategy to improve things, and I have found some improvements/changes; but then again I only go to a dealership to get parts that I cannot source anywhere else. I would not trust a dealer with servicing my cars. With minimal contact with dealers, I can afford to be gentlemanly......

I feel for the guys having to deal with these issues; it can totally erode the AR experience.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Im not advocating being ungentlemanly... but, there has to be point where being nice does not yield results. Besides, escalating a matter to a person with slightly better comprehension skills than the fool who didnt get it right the first few times and then informing them that you're willing to litigate to protect your consumer rights, is actually polite.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts