Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chaps

My 99 V6 last had its belts changed in March 06 at 46k miles - car is just ticking up to 56k miles now. So, the belts are 4 years old but have only done 10k miles. My thinking is not to bother yet - what would you do?

Thanks for advice :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi, I think the only response you're going to get is "change them now". 36k or 3 years, whichever is sooner, is now the officially recommended service interval. Mileage is not the only factor to consider - the belts will also perish over time regardless.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hi, I think the only response you're going to get is "change them now". 36k or 3 years, whichever is sooner, is now the officially recommended service interval. Mileage is not the only factor to consider - the belts will also perish over time regardless.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.
I second that its a no brainer

·
Registered
178 Posts
3 years or 36k no matter what. your on borrowed time if you have had them for 4 years. if it was mine would change ASAP. No questions asked.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3 years for a V6? Are you sure?

The car has been a garage queen with its last owner, I was thinking an extra 12 months would be no hassle.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
If it were me it would be 4 years or 48k
+1, I have had a cam belt failure on a V6, change the belts, early :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
If it were me it would be 4 years or 48k
+1, I have had a cam belt failure on a V6, change the belts, early :thumbs:
I agree :thumbs:

but as the 916 gets older I'm not sure how many v6 will end up at 72k before the 4 years anyway?:confused:

The belts in mine will be 4 years old in 18 months but I estimate they'll have done less than 30k by then.

Make sure that when you get the belt done that they change the idlers. I've been told that some garages don't quote to change them. Will be worth asking about the water pump as well. :)

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Difficult call. If you do it you'll probably be saying did I really need to spend £500. If you don't and it goes you'll be saying I really wish I had.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
What about asking the garage to check the belt visually? Is this possible? :confused:
No garage will underwrite a cambelt by looking at it. They might say there is no obvious wear or damage but they won't say it's fine it doesn't need doing. If it breaks you'd be down on them like a ton of bricks.

Basically it comes down to do you want to splash £500 or take a risk that it'll be fine.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Depends how many miles you plan on doing in the next year. My personal preference is 5 years/ 60k, as this means you can change the plugs at the same time and save a bit of labour cost.
V6 belt failure is less common than with TS's, which need to be changed every 36k.

Note to all V6 owners: nearly all the V6 belt failures I have seen have been caused by wear in the tensioner, but this can often be spotted before it fails. You should inspect the belt at least every 12k to ensure that it is not starting to run "off centre". As the tensioner wears, it forces the cambelt to start running at a slight angle, causing it to run close to the outer edge (and eventually off the edge) of the other pulleys.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right, a fair variety of opinion it would seem! I'm still tending towards leaving it 12 months due to the low mileage and the fact the car has been stored indoors. I'll have them inspected though and have a poke around myself and see how they look.

:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've just bitten the bullet and plumped to get mine changed. The belts have been on for 3 years and I've done 20000 miles. The piece of mind is worth the money in my opinion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts