Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fitted a new headunit to my GTV today. All went well with only minor blood loss until i went to switch off and lock the car.

The head unit doesn't turn off with the ignition????

Got out my multimeter and there appears to be no switched live?

I have the following wires-

Black = Earth/ negative
Red = 12V +
Red/Green = 0 (this is not earthed nor has any power - i think this is the problem, but what could be wrong - can't be fuse???)

Yellow = Illumination (lights)
Blue/White = 12V +

Both 12V + are live regardless of ignition position.

Can't understand what could be wrong, any idea's?

Many thanks, David.

Ps - couldn't even find an easy alternative source to get switched live - maybe fag lighter?

A

·
0 Posts
Its one of the little fun things that alfa do to keep us talking. I've had my lights on since September!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did your old head unit switch off with the ignition then?

I'm still using the original stereo in mine, and it doesn't switch off with the ignition - you have to manually turn it off.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Mine too.Never has switched off with the ignition,my wife's fiat is the same!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never had the original head unit to see if it turned off, but my old 156 used to switch off with the key and all the wiring was original???

Seems a really strange thing to do, have the stereo live all the time?

It wouldn't be so bad, but my alpine is a pain to turn off as you have to sit and hold the button for 5 seconds +!!!!

A

·
0 Posts
On other cars there is normally a switched live/pos to operate the unit, the other permanent live/pos is to retain the memory.Another wire is live with lights on for panel illumination.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i have to turn my kenwood off manually its one of those that flips over to hide it,apparently there is a setting to get it to turn off with the ignition but i dammed if i can find it!!!????

·
Registered
204 Posts
To be honest I prefer it this way, in my previous cars I would always get annoyed when pulling up and switching off the ignition to have the radio I was listening to snuffed out. I'd much rather switch it off myself when I've finished with it than have the car do it and then have to switch it on again... :mad:

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I agree with Jonno :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm, you have a point, i just need to change what i am used to - probably just in time to change back!!!

My 156 used to switch off with key though???

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Wacaday said:
My 156 used to switch off with key though???
Yeah, but you've got a proper Alfa now :lol:

W

·
0 Posts
I asked about the same issue recently, try searching my threads :D

But, as above...I prefer that I have to switch it off :D

wrinx

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Wrinx,

Basically i suppose i was asking two questions -

1. Is it right that i have two permanent feeds?
2. Is there a "dealer" fix to switch this over (Eg Switching plugs over under the dash or something similar)

My findings so far have been yes to question one and no to question two.

So for all the investigation it doesn't change much, i still want it to go off with the ignition.

I will probably take a feed from the cigarette lighter but only if i can do this without butchery (assuming the fag lighter isn't always live too!).

Would be easier for us both to live with it........but then it would have been easier not to own an Alfa especially a GTV!!!

I will keep you updated with any more info i get. Last port of call is a haynes wiring diagram i guess......

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Wacaday said:
I will keep you updated with any more info i get. Last port of call is a haynes wiring diagram i guess......
Good luck - Haynes never made one :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts