Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sort of things do I need to look out for?

It'll be to keep in the garage and take out for a blat at weekends down the local A and B roads.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Suspension knocks and squeaks.
Rusty floors and sills if it's not been undersealed.
Recent cambelt change (4 year interval)
General tidiness of bodywork - rear quarters are especially awkward to repair as you can't get to the back of the panel.
Other than that, general stuff that you'd look for in any car.
Don't let a 5 speed put you off, I test drove 2 6 speeds and 1 5 speed and bought the latter. I personally think it's better suited.
Enjoy! I don't regret it for one second, the sound and experience cannot be beaten for the money.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Look out for the springpans too that are part of the rear suspension - if they're rusting or rusted, they'll require new ones (~£250) or refurbished along with the bushes that cause the squeaking.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
To be on the safe side, generally everyone recommends cambelts are 5yrs or 60,000 miles, whichever the sooner.....Alfa still recommend 6 yrs.

4 yrs is too soon & probably started by garages trying to encourage more work!?

I also prefer the 5 spd but all 1999 on cars had 6 spd, unless retro fitted, don't be put off by either.

What's your budget £?

Clive

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Not really set a budget, was thinking somewhere around £5-6k?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Not really set a budget, was thinking somewhere around £5-6k?
Your other option is to look at a £3k example, then put the same into it again, to make it want you want.

If you want something ready to go, then Clive has that kind of stock around your budget... He also does various personalisation options.

Worth having a chat with him.

You only use the sixth gear on the motorway, but from your description of usage, you'll be keeping it in the 3rd gear sweet spot! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought if I spent £5-6k should be pretty sorted but i did think about doing what you said, that way I'll have some cash to throw at it.

Decisions, decisions....

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have a mint 1999 Aero model coming up soon if you are interested?

34000 miles. I imported it last year however it is full UK spec. Cambelt and full service just completed. MOT to be redone early May (2nd UK MOT). Looking for around 6k for it.

Let me know your timescales and if you would be interested by pm.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have a mint 1999 Aero model coming up soon if you are interested?

34000 miles. I imported it last year however it is full UK spec. Cambelt and full service just completed. MOT to be redone early May (2nd UK MOT). Looking for around 6k for it.

Let me know your timescales and if you would be interested by pm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Change cambelt every 5 yrs along with Idlers tensioner and water pump.
Keep eye on fluids..And Take her out once a week at least in order for her to strut her legs to 7000RPM
What a Car!
I brought mine out this week after having it in storage since October last year and hooked up the battery (as I keep it out of car all winter) and she fired right up...
Went for a blast and it is Truly a Remarkable Beautiful Driving Machine!
Definitely a must have for tantalizing the senses of Feel and Audio effect as that engine sounds incredible!
Buy one if you can!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am 3 months into my GTV V6 ownership. I use everyday to commute(6 gears are good for MPG) Few minor issues all centered around 17 year old electrics(car has had belt change,and had generally good service history with good body work...Paid £2600) Had to change Lambda sensors and i think it could do with a few new coil packs. I think you need to set a purchase budget, then an ongoing maintainance budget

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am 3 months into my GTV V6 ownership. I use everyday to commute(6 gears are good for MPG) Few minor issues all centered around 17 year old electrics(car has had belt change,and had generally good service history with good body work...Paid £2600) Had to change Lambda sensors and i think it could do with a few new coil packs. I think you need to set a purchase budget, then an ongoing maintainance budget
I think you might be right. Might look at £3-4K with some money for maintenance

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I think you might be right. Might look at £3-4K with some money for maintenance
This one is in Milton Keynes:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-ALFA...455553?hash=item4afdd94901:g:GG8AAOSw1DtXHdfA

Q2 LSD and a few other bits, £3K start bid (no bids at present) and plough some coin to bring it up to what you want.

This is a fellow AO member car..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rome...828417?hash=item2367f2eac1:g:FMAAAOSwUuFW0G7n

I know he is looking for a quick sale to get a Diesel and you could get a good deal (I will add the link with his details in a mo for you...)

Here we go... http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-andamp-916-spider/971130-selling-my-v6.html

This is where it all started and I think he is based around the Birmingham area, so pretty accessible from where you are. With a bit of investment, this could be made very nice and I am sure he'd do a deal with a fellow AO'er, saves him the Ebay fees!! ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi there, how is the search going?

I to am complimenting a GTV purchase, though have not yet gone to see any. There doesn't seem to be any within reasonable distance to me.

Have you seen any of the cars posted above? They seem to look like good examples of GTVs. I am not sure what the average condition of the GTV is but I would like to think I would find the right one easily enough when it comes up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've not been to see any. I'm really just at the start of the process. Just gathering some info and looking to see what's around. I think it would be worth your time doing some travel to look though.
Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi there, how is the search going?

I to am complimenting a GTV purchase, though have not yet gone to see any. There doesn't seem to be any within reasonable distance to me.

Have you seen any of the cars posted above? They seem to look like good examples of GTVs. I am not sure what the average condition of the GTV is but I would like to think I would find the right one easily enough when it comes up.
Where in Wilts are you?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am based around the out skirts of Trowbridge. I ended up buying the first GTV I looked at, I planned to look at a few though this seemed a good base to work on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts