Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so, due to lockdown I was barely using my GT blackline other than to go to the shops. As time went on, the battery was draining but I got it started and took it for the odd run-out but one day I went out to the car and it was dead. I bought a jump starter and meant to sort it but 8 weeks past with me not needing the car. Yes, I'm an idiot.
In the mean time, some local nice person thought it would be fun to rip off my drivers side door handle, just at the time when the battery went completely dead.
So now, I can't even unlock the car to get to the bonnet release, and jump start it.
My current feeling is that if I can somehow get the bonnet open and replace the battery (and the door handle, plus the now very square tyres!) all will be well but I guess what I asking here is:
A) will that work, and
B) how do I get the bonnet open without causing major damage.

Tbh, I lost confidence in the car a while back after a catalogue of issues setting me back around £1500 and something seeming to go wrong everytime I drove it afterwards. Being a mature student at the time, I just got scared to drive it much more than a few miles cos I just didn't trust it anymore.
If I can get it open, think it's time to let it go but the question is, will I get it open?

Scott

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Yes that should work fine. Ideally you could get something thin trough the front grill to pull the bonnet release. If you struggle, mobile mechnanic/AA should be able to get in.

Failing that and if youve got the kit to lift the car, you could get under the car and put a charger on the alternator cable directly and recharge the battery through the factory cables. Deffinitely don't try starting the car with the jump pack through the alternator cables, not sure how uch current it'll take.. But you shouldn't need too much juice to get the central locking back on-line.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Ditto, get under the car and use thick wires/jump leads/starter pack (possibly even one of the tiny mobile phone sized things- amazingly they work BTW) to power the electrics. If it is 1.8 TS, put the wire on starter motor supply cable terminal. Ensure car is jacked up securely before getting underneath,

Original fault is probably a weak battery (£60) and maybe an oxidised main terminal (£2 for emery cloth and an hour of time) but this as you have realised is a more expensive way to go about it. I hope you get it sorted as easily as possible and get advice on the handle as I think repair parts are available rather than a whole handle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Open the car from the inside. use a small wood or plastic wedge and the a steel coat hanger. I have done it alot of times on my GT (Faulty battery and lock, combo). it is not easy, but is is free:). one time I had AA help me (break in), he had a "special " coat hanger it took not even 10 sek.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Open the car from the inside. use a small wood or plastic wedge and the a steel coat hanger. I have done it alot of times on my GT (Faulty battery and lock, combo). it is not easy, but is is free:). one time I had AA help me (break in), he had a "special " coat hanger it took not even 10 sek.
Hi Madass
bit confused how that would work. As its me doing it, would probably end up with a smashed window and even more tears :ROFLMAO:.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your replies. I'm off work on wednesday, will try first to get the bonnet open then see if i can find a mate with a clue to help change the battery (yes, im that clueless!! what sort of idiot with no clue about mechanics buys an alfa? me! :ROFLMAO:)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for all your replies. I'm off work on wednesday, will try first to get the bonnet open then see if i can find a mate with a clue to help change the battery (yes, im that clueless!! what sort of idiot with no clue about mechanics buys an alfa? me! :ROFLMAO:)
Got to start from somewhere, no one is born knowing how cars work despite what folk might tell you!

I learn on an ancient mk1 MR2 years ago (it was old then when I had it).

Good luck...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts