Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys just thought since i was digging around in the garage today id drag the engine out iv been working on lately and take a few photos of it!! the bodyshell is still at the bodyshop but am hoping to get it back within the month!! cant wait to get my hands on it, im off work at the moment after a hip operation so hopefully ill be back on my feet in a couple of weeks ready to dive right in when she comes home :) im going to be off work for another 2 months at least so am hoping to have it back on the road in april :thumbs:

it took me almost 6 weeks to strip, polish and paint every bit of the engine, box, suspension etc (3 or 4 hours most nights and all day weekends)

the heads have been done, including lightly gas flowed... recon calipers, new discs, new clutch, belts and the usual service stuff, of which iv been collecting for the past 2 yrs waiting to do the rebuild :thumbs:

the rocker covers are temporary as iv redone the originals but didnt want to put them on till iv got the engine back in, just incase they get scratched... iv also got an alquati manifold on its way so it'll be furnished with twin carbs soon to :cool:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
a few of the other bit and pieces iv done, the gearbox am using iv had tucked away for years! it was in a sud i bought for parts years ago, it had the sweetest synchros and gear change of any sud iv had, am pretty sure it must have had a rebuild at some point!! iv also payed special attention to the selector, adding a sleeve over the coupling to make it extra tight and adding several washers to the top before adding the circlip... am chuffed to bits with it, it slides in and out of gear beautifully :) just hope the gearbox is ok after being in storage for about 10 years!!

well i hope you approve lads, seeing kevs, pats and all the other suds here on this site has given me loads of motivation to get on with it :thumbs: thanks guys!!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
as you can see it was in pretty good shape before hand, but after digging into it it required new rear arches, new part sills, new front panel (as i had one in the shed)!! it needed sections around the battery tray and heater motor, inner wings and various little holes around the windows etc

the shell is now in primer, all the inside of the panels have been painted red (stone chipped the inside of the front wings aswell) all the inner arches have been stone chipped and will be painted red aswell! last week the painter did the front innerwings and under bonnet area red ready to fit all the panels for the top coat :cool:

oh and the vinyle roof has been removed to reveal a spotless roof :)

K

·
0 Posts
i really do love the chrome bumpered s1 & s2 suds, they look so much better than the s3 plastic bumpered cars, do to me anyway :cool:

looks like it will be a stunner when it's done col ;) and ready in time for MITCAR :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
good news :cool: i just got a call from the painter and the cars had 3 coats of red... final prep, top coat and lacquer over the next few days and she'll be ready to rebuild :) iv got to go put the steering rack and front suspension back in 2moro so they can move it into the paint booth... ill get some pics 2moro to post, cant wait!!!

if it looks anything like the job thats being done on kamms sud ill be well chuffed :thumbs:

col

·
Registered
870 Posts
thanks mate, im sure yours will be mint :)

tell ya what, when we get all these suds built, the alfa shows will not know what hit them !! ... move over spiders and bertones.... its the return of the sud,,, and mint ones at that !!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
the sud has paint :) its dull as its being keyed ready for the final coat!

its amazing how the digi camera picked all the dust up in the air, it must be the flash bouncing of it!

hey kamm this place looks a shed compared to the garage yours is in haha

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
are you painting it your self?
if so maybe you can give me a few pointers when i have a go on mine this summer.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no melv its in a bodyshop in hartlepool, just a little place, an old guy and one other young lad who does most the welding, panels etc and the old guy does most the prepp work and painting... hes been doing it 35yrs so im hoping for a really good job! he recons ill be able to shave in after hes finished with it lol

iv been really impressed with the work theyv done, its just that its taken forever which has been frustrating, but hes been quiet over xmas so has been able to get on with it!

it'll be finished by next friday he says, then the young lad is gonna put all the interior and trim back on :)

that just leaves the underbonnet to do when i get it back home, its gonna be a nice little project for a month while am off work :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts