Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1979 series 2 spider with a strange clunk when pulling away, comes from under the mid ti rear end. once in motion and changing gear there is no noise just on take up from a standing start, I have changed all the rear end bushes and its not the exhaust touching, feels like slack in prop or diff, any ideas what to do next to rectify the problem:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My S2 Spider do have a sentation or vibrasion on spirited take offs, but not a clunk. It's done less that 25k miles since a compleete rebuild mecanically incl. transmission parts.
I think it is normal.
Erik

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi
Have looked at uj, looks all good and cant see any wear in other items
You can not tell U-joint are bad just by looking at them ! You have to remove shaft and feel how easy they move on each axis. This thump if left alone could ruin your center support bearing housing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it may the prop centre support and the bearing ,new one on the way I will fit it and let you know
Ta

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have had both the problems described.

Clunk. This was solved by tightening the 4 bolts connecting the driveshaft, front shaft central flange to the rear central flange. All 4 needed a half turn each. No more clunk.

Vibration when when first accelerating. This was solved by replacing the Guibo (rubber donut) and the transmission support.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have had both the problems described.

Clunk. This was solved by tightening the 4 bolts connecting the driveshaft, front shaft central flange to the rear central flange. All 4 needed a half turn each. No more clunk.

Vibration when when first accelerating. This was solved by replacing the Guibo (rubber donut) and the transmission support.

Good luck,

Vin
This, had same problem and same cure.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
help with series 2 clunk!

All,

Still relatively new to my '78 spider...and I have the dreaded clunk. It isnt suspension (just upgraded springs, shocks & bushes). It's definately the exhaust mounting. There are two mounts near the rear section but the part near the tranmission is entirely missing (!). Are there any simple instructions for all of the mounts to be found?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
@Jnbottomley
the usual suppliers likely all do the upper and lower exhaust to gearbox brackets and the 2 rubber bushes for the brackets.......alfaholics do anyways!.........make sure you get the right type, there are differences.
see here, for instance:
Alfa Romeo Exhaust Systems | Classic Alfa Romeo spare parts and accessories

Are you saying that not even the bracket that is bolted to the gearbox is there?............uhm...if so you will have to disturb some gearbox case bolts to mount it. Is there a bracket in place on the exhaust at least?

the whole thing looks roughly like this........you could also scour ebay and find a s/h one where just the bushes need replacing, depending on your budget.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The thump when moving off is usually the propshaft centre support.
Had this on mine, and as Jim says, it was the centre support. Visually it looked ok, but a new one sorted the problem. I also changed the UJs and doughnut whilst I had the prop off. Just make sure you mark the relative positions of all sections of the prop before dismantling and put them back the same way, otherwise you will need to have the prop re-balanced.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Still confused..pics may help

I'm pretty sure it's the gearbox bracket (or lack thereof). The bracket on the exhaust exists....I just can figure out where & how to attach it! Attached are pics of the front & rear of the exhaust bracket - you'll see it isn't attached to anything

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts