Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm if I can use a 10meter extension cable (9-pin serial) from my laptop to the VagCom lead, then to the diagnostic port using AlfaDiag?

Tony.

G

·
No help, but you are the first I have read about that uses a serial connection - you planning some armchair diagnostics? :lol:

·
Registered
30,370 Posts
...but you are the first I have read about that uses a serial connection
I do, but there weren't any USB versions around when I got my interface.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I do too, albeit with fiatecuscan.

Main reason is that you don't need to faff about with drivers. Drivers for a cable???? Whit?

Anyway, back to the original question. In theory it should work, however you may experience some latency problems. Fiatecuscan tells you about this, not sure if Alfdiag does.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK Thanks Guys. I only asked the question as I know that with some interface cables, USB for example, if you intend extending 5 metres then you need some sort of booster (active repeater cable) I believe!?

No, not armchair diagnostics! I have a laptop wired in at the back of my garage with so many peripherals connected to it that it would take me 4 days to disconnect it all! Hence the idea of the longer serial cable so I can keep the laptop in its original position, and the car outside the garage!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If anyone is interested, it is possible to use a serial extension cable with Alfa Diag and the Vagcom adaptor.

I purchased a 10m serial extension cable from eBay (around £6.50 delivered), plugged it into the serial output on the laptop, plugged in the Vagcom adaptor and connected it all to the car, and it works!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts