Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on sick leave, seems like he's not coming back to FCA...

good news? bad news?

Opportunity for new broom, clean sweep? What do we think?

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think I'll take the job.

And I'll, I'll... I'll... jolly well tell 'em :)

Reactions: Toronto Spider

·
Registered
38,804 Posts
Statement from Mr John Elkann;

I am profoundly saddened to learn of Sergio’s state of health. It is a situation that was unthinkable until a few hours ago, and one that leaves us all with a real sense of injustice.

My first thoughts go to Sergio and his family.

What struck me about Sergio from the very beginning, when we met to talk about the possibility of him coming to work for the Group, even more than his management skills and unusual intelligence, were his human qualities, his generosity and the way he understood people.

Over the past 14 years together we have lived through successes and difficulties, internal and external crises, but also unique and unrepeatable moments, both personal and professional.

For so many, Sergio has been an enlightened leader and a matchless point of reference.

For me, he has been someone with whom to share thoughts and in whom to trust, a mentor and above all a true friend.

He taught us to think differently and to have the courage to change, often in unconventional ways, always acting with a sense of responsibility for the companies and their people.

He taught us that the only question that’s worth asking oneself at the end of every day is whether we have been able to change something for the better, whether we have been able to make a difference.

And Sergio has always made a difference, wherever his work took him and in the lives of so very many people.

Today, that difference can be seen in the culture that he introduced in all the companies he has led, a culture that has become an integral part of each and every one of them.

The succession plans we have just announced, even if not without pain from a personal point of view, mean we can guarantee the maximum possible continuity, preserving our companies’ unique cultures.

It has been my privilege to have had Sergio at my side for all these years.

I would ask everyone for their understanding in these circumstances and to respect Sergio’s privacy and that of those who are dear to him.

·
Registered
354 Posts
https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/medi.../FiatDocuments/2018/july/FCA_Announcement.pdf

https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/medi...uments/2018/july/Statement_by_John_Elkann.pdf

Mike Manley
as CEO

Manley, born in Edenbridge, England, has been part of the Group Executive Council, FCA's governing body, since 2011.

He joined DaimlerChrysler in 2000 as director of network development at DaimlerChrysler UK. He held different international positions at DaimlerChrysler and then Chrysler before being appointed president and CEO of Jeep at post-bankruptcy Chrysler Group in June 2009

Ferrari:
The Board has named John Elkann as Chairman and will propose to Shareholders, at a meeting to be called in the coming days, that Louis C. Camilleri be named as CEO.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i bear SM no malice at all - I hope he overcomes his health woes.

Reactions: cue2

·
Registered
38,804 Posts
Me too. He's probably been a realist in maximising shareholder value etc. Even killing Lancia, as somebody who owns ans appreciates an Integrale, probably makes sense.

·
Registered
38,804 Posts
Hence "update"
It just seems amazing that the succession plan of Manley should accelerate in this way. Manley is from a few miles from where I live. I'm sure he'd have preferred to take over from a healthy Marchionne.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
okay, let's see how this new kid performs.

We have seen:

1985: Car Magazine, then Alfa CEO - 'we have the car [75], we have the dealers, we will have the success'. Sales sunk.

1991: Alfa 155, then Alfa CEO - 'we have the car, we have the dealers, we will have the success.' Sales sunk.

1997: Alfa 156, then Alfa CEO - 'we have the car, we have the dealers...', and yep. the 156 did pretty well.

2003: Alfa 159, then Alfa CEO - 'we have the car, we have the...' Just sort of zoned out after all that.

It's all a lot of bla bla bla bla bla.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah, the Alfa Masterplan :)

29 gazillion new models by 1996. 650,000 dealers keen to sign up in the UK, a market rivaling warranty (two months - excluding body, engine, gearbox, brakes, electric repairs), customer care second to no one bla bla bla. (Doreen waiting on the phone)

All stuff that Kia (which came from nowhere) aces today, with no worries and no arty farty baggage.

"Ah, but we won a race last century!"

No, not good enough.

·
Registered
38,804 Posts
Running CNH, the rest of the group
"She was born in Southampton, England and has a Science MA from Oxford University and PhD from Cambridge University after a childhood spent sailing around the world on a boat. Suzanne started her professional career in the UK Treasury. In 1997, she joined McKinsey & Company where she held increasingly senior positions including, as a Senior Partner, co- leading McKinsey’s global service line on operating model change for several years and working extensively on strategic issues with many clients. Suzanne is also a board member of CNH Industrial and The Economist and Deputy Chair of the Royal Opera House."
Interesting lady.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^^ Who is this?

·
Registered
38,804 Posts
The new, British-born chairwoman of CNH Industrial who has been since 2016 the managing director of EXOR, the holding company through which the Agnelli family controls FCA.....

1 - 20 of 123 Posts