Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm after some advise as to if the selspeed system in a fiat stilo will be the same or similar to that in the 156.
A mate has one that is playing up, when you slow down for a junction etc it goes into neutral and stays there untill the engine is switched off and restarted. I've noticed that although I cant hear a pump running there is a relay or solinoide that clicks every 10 to 15 seconds when the engine is running.

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
It is similar, but different.
You need to see what is happening to the system pressure, it may be dropping to Neutral because of a drop in system pressure (ie it is performing the Neutral selection before it is too late to do anything else, preventing the engine stalling).

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David, I hope I can do this with the free version of fiat scan.
What should the normal working pressure be at idle, I think the fault is intermittent but would any faults be stored in the ecu

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
If the pressure is the same as the 156 (and it probably is) then you want to see close to 50 Bar.
As usual, if the pressure is dropping too quickly, then the accumulator has gone, it will trigger the pump to run to bring it back up but it may be his pump is on its way too.

But obviously check/replace the relay before splashing out on a new pump.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow, one last thing, is the pump engine driven or electrical.?

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
Electrical.

Usual pump issues are worn out brushes in the motor, a tap with a hammer/spanner/blunt-object/etc can get them running again, but it won't be for long.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, I have checked it with fiat scan, at first the car was doing what it should but there was a fault with the pump logged so I cleared that and was fine untill it was hot when it started to play up.

The pressure is as you said 50 bar, at idle and in neutral it took about 5 minutes to fall from 50 to 40 bar before the pump came on and went straight back to 50, going through the gears it did drop a bit quicker but shot straight back to 50 when it got to about 41 bar.
We took it for a drive and it was fine for a while with the pressure showing between 41 and 50 then when in neutral it wouldnt select 1st and the pressure had dropped to 36 bar but not falling too quickly.
When the engine was switched off and back on the pressure was back up to 50 and all was working ok.

I am thinking it is the pump or relay, he is going to order a relay on monday and failing that there are sets of brushes for sale so was hoping to try a set of these first as the pumps arnt cheap.

Luckily this car isnt his every day drive so there is no rush to fix it, car is an 04 with only 40k miles and has been stood for quite a while.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
could be corroded contacts at the pump relay , pump should do more than 40K miles before worn out...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts