Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at present in a big mid-life clean-out and selling all the stuff I bought because I REALLY needed it and then never used it as I thought I would.:rolleyes:
It has given me an up to date look on what is happening in the market and has thrown me a curve ball or two.

I started in the beginning of January when I knew the market would be flat with a Defender V8 I was sure would take the longest to move. Because I had time, I priced it a bit on the high side, but it sold within a week. Gumtree gave me 140 hits in that week and it sold to the second person who called. I have no doubt I was lucky on that one but will see when I put the other Defender up for sale.

Again to test the market I chucked an add for my Bantam on Gumtree and priced it mid market price wise just to see if there is interest. In two days I've had just over 200 Hits and 10 e-mails and probably 20 phone calls...people are driving me nuts and I can't sell it till next week. While typing this I've had another 4 calls already......

NOW...SWAMBO's GT I've advertised since the beginning of Jan on various sites. Gumtree gives me around 200 hits every 3 days when I re-post the ad. I've had one person wanting to swap me for a BMW and one *%&$($ scammer wanting me to be his taxi on his diamond deals. Other than that zip, nada, nothing. Just to see if it is the price I've dropped this '05 GT JTD with less than 110 000km to R99k, and even though I've had loads of hits, still not a single call. I wasn't expecting people to fall over their feet to buy my car, but really, this dead silence is kinda scary.

I don't really mind it not selling as I am not pushed, but I would like to buy that 155 I always wanted to own....and for that to happen the GT needs to give up her spot, so at some stage I would like her to be GONE.

So.....is it just me living out here in the sticks, or are other Alfa guys on here finding it hard to get solid interest in their older Alfas too? :confused:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Yeah hey, its tough out there for Alfa's that arent really objectified in an Alfa way. We have to understand that Alfa's are bought with the heart. Never to make sense or the obligatory value for money statement. I took a R10 000 knock on my 147, which I had paid way too much for in the begining, but that was a knock I was prepared to take as i had the car for sale for nearly 6 months I think.

Your's is a GT but the diesel version. If you look quickly through the ads there are about 5 GT's in teh 100-130k bracket...3.2's. Which are far more wantable and an object of a hearts desire out there.

Last night I was thinking again...if I was to return to Alfa ownership it has to be for good, i know one cannot predict the future as things seem rosey one moment and 2 years down the line you are forced to sell everything...at a loss.

I have once again reconsidered going the G6 GTi route but then my senses got the best of me again lol...I'm going ot buy a GTA or a GTV, a car that will keep some form of value after 54 months. That's also one thing I've noticed, don't buy Alfas on more than 54 months...so that in a year's time after the interest has been paid off you can atleast square the bank when the car needs to be sold.

But ja...stick it out there for a month or two, and if you REALLY dont' get any calls or interest, drop the price.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
My experience:
I traded my 156 TS in mid November, and the dealer specifically kept the car till after year-end and only advertised it for sale in January and it was sold by the end of Jan. They wanted R90K and sold it 3 weeks later for said price. It depends on the model and desirability. 2 door coupes appeal to most men, but only a handfull will actually be able to live with the impracticality.

PS: You had TWO Defenders!? You lucky, lucky fish! :where's the jealous smiley when you need it!:

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
as for the defenders and bantam bakkie, those are seriously high demand vehicles so it no wonder you easily got rid of them.

Now on to alfas, unfortunately you have to sell them for a song, i only got solid interest in my 159 after i asked 35 000 below trade :eek: but i think shes just about sold. might be gone on wednesday or thursday :cry:

Tip: Try letting mcarthy boksburg buy your car from you my friend got above 100 thou for his '06 GT JTD from them, youll see it, its the blue one standing there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My experience:
I traded my 156 TS in mid November, and the dealer specifically kept the car till after year-end and only advertised it for sale in January and it was sold by the end of Jan. They wanted R90K and sold it 3 weeks later for said price. It depends on the model and desirability. 2 door coupes appeal to most men, but only a handfull will actually be able to live with the impracticality.

PS: You had TWO Defenders!? You lucky, lucky fish! :where's the jealous smiley when you need it!:
When we bought the GT I accepted that it would not sell quick when we got to that point, it is just that after probably 1000 hits on Gumtree (not even talking about the other sites) I expected at least a single bite by now :cry: Won't stop marketing it as I have no doubt it will eventually sell, just didn't think the market for Alfas was so dead.:D

Ian, not that big deal really as the Defender that I still have is an old '85 model, so not worth much. Funny thing about this one though is that after slapping new rings and a fresh cam in the old girl 4 years ago shes been the one vehicle that has never let us down...a dependable Landy....who wouldathought :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.......... i only got solid interest in my 159 after i asked 35 000 below trade :eek: .....
Holy smokes :( that hurts.....

Tip: Try letting mcarthy boksburg buy your car from you my friend got above 100 thou for his '06 GT JTD from them, youll see it, its the blue one standing there.
Did they just buy it from him or did he trade it on something from them? It would appear that they sell easier from a dealer's floor than privately...maybe I should trade it on 2 Bantams and then sell those...lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts