Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned and enjoyed it for three years and am now looking to move it on as I have been bitten by the 4C bug, having test driven one a couple of weeks ago. As I will be celebrating my 60th birthday this year I'm going to treat myself to a 4C whilst I'm still agile enough to get in and out :)

I will probably list the 916 on eBay and other car sites in a week or two but if there is any interest from members of this forum I would be very happy to discuss. As readers of my posts will know, I have worked though most of the common problems that afflict these cars and it is now in mechanically great shape. Cosmetically the paint is 5 yard paint, with some bits where previous re-sprays weren't well masked for example, but there is no rust as far as I can see. Internally, I swapped the faded grey/black interior for lovely red Momo seats, and red door inserts, plus black carpet, all of which are in excellent condition so its a great place to be in.
The hood is good and works fine, and has a new rear screen.

Work completed over the three years (there may be more, I will add to it as I remember!)

• Springs replaced all round (standard)
  • New Koni street shocks up front, new standard at rear.
  • It was poly bushed when I got it, and I have kept these.
  • Replacement spring pans at rear.
  • New tyres all round.
  • New battery.
  • Re-made the accelerator to throttle body connection.
  • Replaced light/wiper switch, to restore self-cancelling to indicators.
  • Added space saver spare wheel.
  • New electric aerial
  • Fixed auto drop windows, both sides work.
  • New brake pads, rear.
  • New exhaust. It is a standard one so its now a bit quiet!
  • Refurbished the air filter housing, put an original filter in (it had a cone filter when I acquired it which makes a great induction noise but I wanted originality).
  • Replaced MAF
  • Put new alarm module in, so I have new remotes for the arming and central locking.
  • Engine has had new head gaskets and head skim last autumn. At the same time the cam belt was replaced (even though it was pretty new), along with the water pump and the auxiliary belt tensioner and idlers. The cam belt tensioner and idlers had been replaced in 2018 when the cam belt was done previously. I also replaced the valve cover gaskets, spark plug seals etc. The thermostat was replaced, new O rings installed on the pipe between thermostat and pump, and new silicone radiator hoses added. The radiator itself was new, I think, two years ago. The radiator support bracket has been cleaned up and painted.
  • Aircon didn't work when I got it so the drier has been replaced along with the compressor (a good used unit) and the aircon is now good.
  • GTA clutch and flywheel.
  • Q2 diff.
  • Replacement ABS unit (s/h, good condition)
  • Fuse box lid repaired to stop it flapping (trivial but satisfying)
  • gear linkage (at gearbox end) replaced, new top hat bushes installed.
  • Wind deflector
I hate to think what I have spent but it is more than I would admit to my wife, obviously, and I know I'm not going to recoup it.

If the paintwork was pristine I would be looking for ca. £7,500, as it is I will advertise at £6,500. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Sounds about right the price to me.
Well maintained forum members cars are usually the better examples to visit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have remembered some other bits:

Oil cooler and replacement pipes (Autolusso kit)
HID lights
Top engine mount
New gas struts boot and bonnet

The car is a ca. £14k car in total (including original purchase cost)

·
Registered
140 Posts
A great example, price sounds very good to me. The 4C sounds a good trade - one day I’d like to do the same. Good luck with the sale!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Arch. It’s hard to know what price to go for, as there aren’t too many around for sale.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi roony, It sold pretty quickly at slightly under asking price. It is just awaiting transfer of personal plate and then it goes to a new home. I'll be sad to see it go, I always am with cars I have worked on and know well.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Good news... glad it sold ok.. a fair price with all the work that you had done!

A couple of weeks with the 4C and i'm sure you will have forgotten about it;););)

Hi roony, It sold pretty quickly at slightly under asking price. It is just awaiting transfer of personal plate and then it goes to a new home. I'll be sad to see it go, I always am with cars I have worked on and know well.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Hope you enjoy the 4C as much as the 916 Nick. We’ll miss your input on this forum.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Roony and Nelly. I have really enjoyed (and been helped immensely by) this forum so I will miss it, as well as the car. I'll probably keep checking in anyway.

In the meantime I haven't quite convinced my wife that a 4c is a good idea. She likes the styling but doesn't like the idea of so little luggage space for our road trips. I have pointed out that we didn't actually do any road trips in the 916, and I'm not sure we (as opposed to "I" ;) ) would in a 4c. There will be plenty of room on the passenger seat for my stuff, on a solo trip :cool:.
She was watching Rick Stein on t.v., pottering round France in his Porsche yesterday evening and said "that's a nice car, why don't you get one of those instead" !! She has always totally dissed the idea of a Porsche (mid-life crisis, so predictable blah, blah, blah) so she really must be anti-4c !

We are also debating colours. I like the 4c in the Competizione red, but I also like it in white. "You can't get a white car". Which now means I'm more inclined to the white, obviously.

·
Registered
292 Posts
White does not do it for me at all, got to be the red for the 4C. Used prices have dropped somewhat on the 4C, get in there before the seasonal rise!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Used prices have dropped somewhat on the 4C, get in there before the seasonal rise!
Yes, I'm thinking that! A white one that I test drove was sold last week, after hanging around at the dealer since late summer last year.

I do prefer the red to the white but the white ones have red leather and I am a sucker for red leather (thats not meant to sound pervy, by the way!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts